NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NRRPT honeypot

Author Topic: NRRPT  (Read 22446 times)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: NRRPT
« Reply #25 on: Aug 22, 2016, 09:47 »
duz any buddy have knowledge offa nuke plant wit nrrpt registration using that registration two move over too the other venues incompast by the testing such as medical?

Not much other than college credits,...

The medical side is certified, licensed, apprenticed, etcetera under individual state regulations,...

the certification organizations include SNMMI, NMTCB, ARRT, MDCB, ARDMS, NMTCB and an alphabet soup of other gov and paragov organizations,...

the NRRPT is typically not given credit as "job related" as it is a broad scope registry,....

most medical certifications are narrow scope and therefore more intensive than NRRPT,...

as stated at the top, it can help with college and continuing education credits,...

most medical types are not fond of nor do they see much relevance of the commercial, transportation, and other non-medical aspects of the NRRPT,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #26 on: Aug 22, 2016, 12:07 »
When I took it and passed in 1991 I was told it was a lifetime certification as long as I paid my dues. Then they came out with the maintenance plan that benefited mostly permanent techs that could complete the requirements through their house training programs. So I quit paying the dues since working multiple careers, safety  along with RP prevented me from meeting the requirements. I think the NRRPT should have grandfathered the people this promise was made to when they began this program.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #27 on: Aug 22, 2016, 12:22 »
When I took it and passed in 1991 I was told it was a lifetime certification as long as I paid my dues. Then they came out with the maintenance plan that benefited mostly permanent techs that could complete the requirements through their house training programs. So I quit paying the dues since working multiple careers, safety  along with RP prevented me from meeting the requirements. I think the NRRPT should have grandfathered the people this promise was made to when they began this program.

the fiduciary goal of all certification and licensing associations is to generate association revenue out of those who generate personal revenue via the licensing / certification program,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #28 on: Aug 23, 2016, 12:51 »
Not much other than college credits,...

The medical side is certified, licensed, apprenticed, etcetera under individual state regulations,...

the certification organizations include SNMMI, NMTCB, ARRT, MDCB, ARDMS, NMTCB and an alphabet soup of other gov and paragov organizations,...

the NRRPT is typically not given credit as "job related" as it is a broad scope registry,....

most medical certifications are narrow scope and therefore more intensive than NRRPT,...

as stated at the top, it can help with college and continuing education credits,...

most medical types are not fond of nor do they see much relevance of the commercial, transportation, and other non-medical aspects of the NRRPT,...
pritty much sux having udder disciplines rad knowledge included iffen it can't bee used to cross inn two thoses areas. imnsho, of coarse.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #29 on: Aug 23, 2016, 01:12 »
pritty much sux having udder disciplines rad knowledge included iffen it can't bee used to cross inn two thoses areas. imnsho, of coarse.

you have to go back to who initiated NRRPT and the times when NRRPT was initiated,...

things were different then, and have evolved considerably since then,...

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #30 on: Aug 23, 2016, 08:31 »
you have to go back to who initiated NRRPT and the times when NRRPT was initiated,...

things were different then, and have evolved considerably since

things were different then, and have evolved considerably since then,...
cood bee. butt aye have bin under whelmed bye the hole schmere fore ever.
it's a standard. sew is an associate degree, a navships 108, a d.o.e. core.
nuttin moor.
nuttin less.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #31 on: Aug 23, 2016, 09:32 »
cood bee. butt aye have bin under whelmed bye the hole schmere fore ever.
it's a standard. sew is an associate degree, a navships 108, a d.o.e. core.
nuttin moor.
nuttin less.

all true, are we done here yet?   :P ;) :) 8)

Offline darylrey

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #32 on: Apr 13, 2017, 02:46 »
I agree with absentminded.

I am taking it just to put in the effort and get out of it what I can.  These won't be any money involved and, despite lots of lip-service about supporting anyone who wanted to take it and bringing in a trainer to help study, management here has completely forgotten that I plan to take it.  If I ever plan to move on or up, I assume it will be something to fill my resume up but that is about all. 

So much focus, in the commercial nuclear industry, anyway, is placed on education and training that they seem to forget that learning doesn't only, always, or often even best happen in a classroom setting.  But classroom training and powerpoints are much easiest to point at when the NRC comes to audit your training program, so they persist as the main method of training. 

I just try to study and pick up a little more each time I go through the study guides and books.  Not just for memorization's sake but to try to apply things in the field, however small or nuanced. 
I could remember bremhstralung and advise against shielding a high-energy beta source or remember the half-life of Co-60 and mention that the dose on the resin liner that we are thinking of shipping probably hasn't decreased an appreciable amount.    This application ensures facts, trends, tendencies, and methods stick in the memory and many times that sort of 'intangible' thought or connection, that minutiae, is what makes a tech with practical ability and sense a little more complete.

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
« Reply #33 on: Apr 13, 2017, 03:07 »
When I took the NRRPT it was reimbursed by Bartlett and resulted in an extra $1/hr at many sites. That seems to have gone away. Now it seems like a revenue generator for everyone but the techs. I doubt I would take it under the current system. I can't think of any other time I had to know the permissible leakage from an x-ray machine or what to do if a someone dropped a test tube of polonium.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #34 on: Apr 13, 2017, 04:28 »
...what to do if a someone dropped a test tube of polonium.
quit smoking n using led pencils....

Offline oldtimer

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #35 on: Jun 11, 2017, 10:24 »
I have seen people that passed the NRRPT test and couldn't count an air sample, cpm/volume, without conversion crutches

Chimera

« Reply #36 on: Jun 12, 2017, 02:20 »
I have seen people that passed the NRRPT test and couldn't count an air sample, cpm/volume, without conversion crutches

And, conversely, I've known Techs who didn't stand a chance at passing the NRRPT who were fantastic Techs.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #37 on: Jun 14, 2017, 07:29 »
Learning the material necessary to pass the NRRPT test is a confidence builder. You are then able to talk the talk that may impress your co-workers and satisfy an RPM. You will then be able to effectively confuse engineers, managers, and construction supervisors because radiation protection is a foreign language to them.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?