Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu exhausting unemployment honeypot

Author Topic: exhausting unemployment  (Read 5421 times)

Offline dixichicknik

• Very Lite User
exhausting unemployment
« on: Nov 22, 2015, 03:29 »
I am currently collecting UI from WI, however my benefits will be exhausted in 5 weeks but my benefit year doesn't end until May. Will I be able to open a new claim in VA? I worked in WI, MI and WV in Q4 2014, LA in Q1 2015, VA in Q2  2015, unemployed all of Q3 2015, VA in Q4 2015. I found some information on some of the threads but none of it is recent. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: exhausting unemployment
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:53 »
Most states allow you to apply for unemployment as long as:

1.  You have work history that was not used in a previous claim.
2.  Your work history is not older than 5 and 1/2 quarters on the date you apply with some variation.  Those old quarters drop off after about 5 1/2 quarters depending on the state.
3.  Not have an active claim open in any other state. (no claims with $$$ left that are <1 year old)
4.  You worked in that state.

Basically if you are eligible for unemployment with unclaimed work on the books and you exhausted your claim you can apply for UI in another state EVEN IF YOUR 1 YEAR isn't up.  I did it and I was told it was OK by MASS and PA when I did it.  You will be limited by the amount of work you still have on the books (which depends on which quarters WI used on your prior claim) and the variation of rules in each state.  Call each state and see what they say.

Offline dixichicknik

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2015, 11:44 »
Thanks!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2015, 02:10 »
Most states allow you to apply for unemployment as long as:

1.  You have work history that was not used in a previous claim.
2.  Your work history is not older than 5 and 1/2 quarters on the date you apply with some variation.  Those old quarters drop off after about 5 1/2 quarters depending on the state.
3.  Not have an active claim open in any other state. (no claims with $$$ left that are <1 year old)
4.  You worked in that state.

Basically if you are eligible for unemployment with unclaimed work on the books and you exhausted your claim you can apply for UI in another state EVEN IF YOUR 1 YEAR isn't up.  I did it and I was told it was OK by MASS and PA when I did it.  You will be limited by the amount of work you still have on the books (which depends on which quarters WI used on your prior claim) and the variation of rules in each state.  Call each state and see what they say.
was that filing in mass oar pa?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2015, 11:33 »
i filed in both that year. 

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2015, 11:01 »
1st in mass then inn pee ay?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2015, 06:59 »
shoot i can't remember now but both states said it was legal in every state they knew of.  as long as your current unemployment claim was exhausted you could claim in any state you still had $$$ in.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?