Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Shore Duty Options + Post Navy Options (NEED ADVICE)
honeypot

Author Topic: Shore Duty Options + Post Navy Options (NEED ADVICE)  (Read 11509 times)

Offline NukeSeaMan1989

• Very Lite User
This is my first post here. I'm an ET on a sub, lpo type.
I just entered my negotiating window to shore duty orders.  I used to think I wanted to go to prototype, mainly for post-navy benefits to have that much more nuclear experience.  At this same time, I feel like the stress level would not change from boat to prototype, and some friends say prototype is worse due to NR being up their butts 24/7. 
Where I need advice:  should I take orders to prototype and advance my post-navy resume with that extra experience? Or will my previous submarine, reactor operator, rclpo-type be good enough for a civilian job if I take orders to lets say NRMD or be a radon tech somewhere?  I would like a less stress shore duty to possibly get my degree.  And with that in mind, what's more important: a bachelors in electrical eng/nuc technology or that extra hands-on experience from prototype just before I get out.

HeavyD

Re: Shore Duty Options + Post Navy Options (NEED ADVICE)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:01 »
What do you want to do when you transition?

Operations, training, radcon?

The industry is specialized.  For example, if you are looking at Operations, you would hire in as an Aux Operator/Non-licensed Operator.  You can qualify for Direct SRO (Senior Reactor Operator) if you've been qualified and stood watch as EWS/PPWS for a minimum of 24 months.

As far as a degree goes, you need a technical degree in order to open all possible doors.  Look at the Nuclear Engineering Technology degrees offered by Thomas Edison and/or Excelsior.

Another option available is something completely NOT nuclear power.  Stress is stress and an outside entity looking over your shoulder doesn't end when you transition to the civilian nuclear industry.  The NRC replaces NRRO out here.

Just some small bits of info to get you to thinking some more.  Best of luck and thank you for serving!

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:33 »
My favorite part is the stress due to NRRO which isn't a tenth of the stress due to the NRFC, INPO, OSHA, NERC.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2015, 07:12 »
This is my first post here. I'm an ET on a sub, lpo type. I just entered my negotiating window to shore duty orders.  
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 99% you're going to prototype and you have almost no say in it. The Navy wants you to be the best nuclear plant operator and technical expert you can be, and the best way to do that is to detail you to prototype. You get qualified EWS/EOOW, and hopefully put on Chief before you head back to sea duty or shortly thereafter.

If you were qualified EWS then you have a shot at going to power school instructor or recruiting duty if for some reason the stars align and all the prototype/power school instructor billets are filled. The odds of you being an NRMD or radcon tech, which are essentially out-of-rate for you, are slim to none.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2015, 07:16 by spekkio »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2015, 07:56 »
If he doesn't try to screen for instructor, he won't go, as they can't force him to screen for it. Of coarse if he tries that he might go to another boat. At least that's what the surface detailers were talking about doing a few years ago.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2015, 08:54 »
My favorite part is the stress due to NRRO which isn't a tenth of the stress due to the NRFC, INPO, OSHA, NERC, etal.

If stress is what you are looking to avoid, look to another profession / technical position!  Most are not without it, but are generally lower.  Even on the D&D side the regulators/overseers are still there and a lot don't look at the 'intent' of the regulation/guidance, they insist you apply it even if it has been proven not necessary for the facility/project.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline NukeSeaMan1989

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:01 »
So, when I walked in to work today my chief and engineer told me a message came out with my name on it stating that my instructor package is 60 days overdue....lol.  Looks like I'm probably going to prototype.  At this point I'll just pray I can get Charleston.
Thanks for the advice.
 On a side note, I'll be qualified EWS prior to going to shore duty, BUT probably not by the time my negotiating window closes.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:16 »
So, when I walked in to work today my chief and engineer told me a message came out with my name on it stating that my instructor package is 60 days overdue....lol.  Looks like I'm probably going to prototype.  At this point I'll just pray I can get Charleston.
Thanks for the advice.
 On a side note, I'll be qualified EWS prior to going to shore duty, BUT probably not by the time my negotiating window closes.

Although I am a proponent of prayer, praying for a good deal in the USN seems to be less than an optimal exercise of your future contentment,...

you do not have to pray for EAOS,...

it is not clear to me if you re-enlisting for shore duty or just rotating to shore duty as part of your sea-shore rotation,...

nor am I clear if you must agree to an extension for shore duty,...

so, you can take responsibility for your contentment and exercise your EAOS,...

OR, stay in the Navy, and let Uncle Sam dictate your contentment,...

your choice,...

either way, thank you for your service,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline NukeSeaMan1989

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2015, 09:37 »
I do intend to reenlist to get a full shore duty.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2015, 11:06 »
I do intend to reenlist to get a full shore duty.

well then, perhaps your needs and the needs of the Navy can coincide,...

reckon you'd best get that instructor package done,...

there is an Empire State College campus in Saratoga Springs should Charleston not be where you are stationed,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2015, 09:14 »
NRRO guy tried to get a blueshirt sent to mast over having "pink eyes" and eyes going closed and open too much.  Who's gonna relieve him, the other guy with no sleep either?!  Luckily our engineer who was an A$$h*1e actually called BS on that one.  In shipyard I hated those guys.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2015, 03:19 »
NRRO guy tried to get a blueshirt sent to mast over having "pink eyes" and eyes going closed and open too much.  Who's gonna relieve him, the other guy with no sleep either?!  Luckily our engineer who was an A$$h*1e actually called BS on that one.  In shipyard I hated those guys.
Believe it or not NR put out formal guidance on what is 'inattentive' vice 'sleeping' on watch. This sounds like the former and wouldn't warrant more than watch relief and a cup of coffee.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2015, 06:05 »
this was 1990 so i don't know what the deal was back then.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2015, 06:50 »
I wouldn't put it past an NRRO rep to try to pull that today, either.

Luckily when we were in the yards we had a very reasonable guy, I've heard horror stories though.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2015, 09:30 »
I wouldn't put it past an NRRO rep to try to pull that today, either.

Luckily when we were in the yards we had a very reasonable guy, I've heard horror stories though.

And some of those stories are even true....

Most (but not all) of those guys that were excessively unreasonable are now retired.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?