Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New to nuclear - culture shock!
honeypot

Author Topic: New to nuclear - culture shock!  (Read 6642 times)

Offline homer7g

• Very Lite User
New to nuclear - culture shock!
« on: Dec 10, 2015, 09:26 »
Been working at a nuke plant for 6 months and while I love it - still getting used to the culture. Don't get me wrong, the job security and money is the best I've seen in my career and I love the challenges.  

The various safety rules took some getting used to - but it's pretty much automatic now... and I find myself doing the same work habits outside of work now.  Weird but not a bad thing either!

But keep hearing things when I question why things in my particular craft are done much differently at the plant than how I've done it over the years which were generally following best practices / industry standards.   Been hearing things like "well we're nuclear that's how it is" and "we don't make logic, we make power".  

Is it just me, my dept, my plant - or nuclear life in general?
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2015, 09:29 by homer7g »

Offline 100centsquare

• Very Lite User
Re: New to nuclear - culture shock!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2015, 08:34 »
 'and I find myself doing the same work habits outside of work now'

One always checks a fire door when one goes thru it, right? I find myself pushing on doors at home. And repeat back three way communication......still do it and have been retired for 2 years. Help me!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2015, 10:06 »

...........- or nuclear life in general?

"it" has become nuclear life in general,...

"it" has been assimilating like the Borg for the last couple of decades plus,...

"it" is fomented by the natural expansion of bureaucracies,...

"it" may very well be the death knell of commercial nuclear power which can then only be supplanted by public-benefit nuclear power,...

"it" may leave you with a shrinking list of job location options OR should the public-benefits assert and dominate - a job for life,...

to paraphrase an old and admired poster to these boards:

The dial has been turned back on The Wayback Machine.

It is now 1980. Hope you enjoy punk rock.

The Navy is considering raising Nuclear Reenlistment Bonus cap from $15,000 to $20,000.

The Bureau of Personnel believes their desired retention rates of 40% first term, 50% second term, and 60% third term will be achieved - which will man all nuclear billets, by rate, in the proper proportion.

INPO, et al are the new kids on the block and they determine insurance rates, they affect bottom line and their tentacles are expanding into all facets of commercial power generation,...

The Wayback Machine is now set to 2008.

The Navy does not now, and never has wanted everyone to re-enlist.
They want the truly disgruntled to leave. They want the truly motivated to stay. Plain and simple. Money won't do it. A new poster slogan won't do it. The Navy knows that.

INPO, NRC, et al bureaucracies are solidly entrenched into the mindset, business plans and op tempo of commercial nuclear power, there is a a small modicum of good realized, and a lot of onerous, debilitating paperwork and overhead, the seesaw is unbalanced,...

So, dudes... and dudettes...

If you like it - stay in. I appreciate your service.

If you like it keep on going to work, there is still enough need for electrons to keep you employed,...

If you don't like it - do your time and get out. And I'll enjoy working with you.

If you don't like it, make your peace and move on because it is what it is,...

Notice the positive energy? We make energy.

You can't fix the Navy, it's not broke.

you can't fix commercial nuclear power, it's not broke, it's just losing it's cost effectiveness,...

You can enjoy the ride.

8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2015, 10:17 »
Been working at a nuke plant for 6 months and while I love it - still getting used to the culture. Don't get me wrong, the job security and money is the best I've seen in my career and I love the challenges.  

The various safety rules took some getting used to - but it's pretty much automatic now... and I find myself doing the same work habits outside of work now.  Weird but not a bad thing either!

But keep hearing things when I question why things in my particular craft are done much differently at the plant than how I've done it over the years which were generally following best practices / industry standards.   Been hearing things like "well we're nuclear that's how it is" and "we don't make logic, we make power".  

"Perception is reality", in general there is a fear of a nuclear power accident or radioactive release in the public. Any breach of a regulation or rule in the news no matter how minor can be seen as a major problem by the uninformed and is easily distorted by anti-nuclear factions. I have been involved in what I considered more of an inconvienience inside the plant and saw a news write up that made it sound like a major breach of safety later by the press. So yes it can be a little surreal at times, "reality what a concept".

mjd

« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2015, 02:12 »

"I have been involved in what I considered more of an inconvienience inside the plant and saw a news write up that made it sound like a major breach of safety later by the press.....".

How do you think I feel being the Shift Supervisor during the Sept '77 TMI2 precursor event at DBNPP. And later, by official reports, being accused of "cognitive dissonance" and "operator error" for doing what I was trained to do. And this, during an event with a successful outcome. Then 18 months later watching the same event unfold in real time with different results. Talk about a reality re-calibration!!!!
Then in '82 as a live witness for GPU in the B&W vs GPU lawsuit, being told by a judge my B&W Simulator EOP training testimony was not relevant.
So "just get over it"?.... NOT.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2015, 03:18 »
How do you think I feel being the Shift Supervisor during the Sept '77 TMI2 precursor event at DBNPP. And later, by official reports, being accused of "cognitive dissonance" and "operator error" for doing what I was trained to do. And this, during an event with a successful outcome. Then 18 months later watching the same event unfold in real time with different results. Talk about a reality re-calibration!!!!
Then in '82 as a live witness for GPU in the B&W vs GPU lawsuit, being told by a judge my B&W Simulator EOP training testimony was not relevant.
So "just get over it"?.... NOT.

That is the time frame when the industry was settling out of court ridiculous law suits like someone being stung by an ionized bee from a nuclear plant. But then have we really moved that far forward?

Mutated Fukushima Giant Hornet Responsible For Multiple Nebraska Casualties

http://nationalreport.net/mutated-fukushima-giant-hornet/

and of course it got passed around the internet and by e-mail despite the disclaimer:

"The National Report's (since removed) disclaimer page notes that:
National Report is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within National Report are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental."

[hypno] [kool]

Giant Killer Hornets

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/hornets.asp
« Last Edit: Dec 11, 2015, 03:20 by Marlin »

rlbinc

« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:27 »
. And repeat back three way communication...

Not advisable to pilots. Air controllers come back with: "yeah that sure is correct alright."

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2016, 02:16 »

Not advisable to pilots. Air controllers come back with: "yeah that sure is correct alright."

thanks for the bump, I had another rumination:

.... and "we don't make logic, we make power".  ....

to quote one of my favorite (now retired) superintendents, circa 2013:

"We now have the most secure facility in the entire state,........and sometimes we make power too!!!!",... ;)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2016, 10:49 »

The various safety rules took some getting used to - but it's pretty much automatic now... and I find myself doing the same work habits outside of work now.  Weird but not a bad thing either!

But keep hearing things when I question why things in my particular craft are done much differently at the plant than how I've done it over the years which were generally following best practices / industry standards.   Been hearing things like "well we're nuclear that's how it is" and "we don't make logic, we make power". 

What department are you in?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?