Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ballston Spa - family questions honeypot

Author Topic: Ballston Spa - family questions  (Read 8657 times)

HarleyNukeWife

Ballston Spa - family questions
« on: Jan 09, 2005, 01:46 »
Hi All ~

First off let me say, awesome site...I cannot believe I haven't come across it til now!  My hub has been a surface nuke for a lil over 12 years now.  (we were going to get out at 10, decided we were nuts, and here we are back in VA again).  we are waiting on orders to NY for instructor duty - well he is, I am trying to coordinate all the other stuff that follows the orders.  He went to D1G (i think) in '94 time frame, and we are both from NY but farther west, so neither of us has a clue about the schools or housing around west milton, ballston spa, saratoga, etc. 

Could you guys point me in the right direction?

I appreciate any help you might be able to give.  I can't wait to show hub your site! 

kwicslvr

Re: Ballston Spa - family questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:37 »
As long as you are not living in Saratoga the cost of buying a house is not bad at all.  From what I remember the school system is not that bad around there.  Not many choices really.  Small town atmosphere 90% of the year.  My friend owned a 3 bedroom, single car atttached garage duplex right outside of Toga. On a very large corner lot.  Bought in 2002 for~$86k.   We made some good changes to it and she sold it 2 years later for just over $100k.

Though at the same time, staff housing is not bad at all.   Especially if you can get right into it like I was fortunate enough to.   Then you don't have to worry about paying for anything except cable/internet/phone.    Very nice community area also for Navy housing standards. Usually though there is a 3-6 month waiting list.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2005, 11:12 »
It's been a lot of years, but I remember that most of the staff lived in Ballston Spa, Ballston Lake, or Rock City Falls.  Saratoga is basically too tourist-oriented and expensive.  Single folks preferred Saratoga Springs because it has more bars per-capita than any other city in America.  (Yes, even more than Oswego!)  Married folks tended to look for lower housing costs and better schools.
If you sign a lease, read it very carefully.  A lot of rental properties in that area have 11 month leases.  August is for the racing season, and you can only rent for Sept. through July unless you want to pay outrageous rent for August.  It's less common as the distance from the race track increases.
There was no Navy staff housing when I was there.  The only Navy housing (Quiet Harbor in Saratoga Springs) was strictly for students, and staff pickups had to move out.  If this is what they are using for staff these days, they were only two-bedroom townhouses.  Not the best if you have more than one child.
Good luck and welcome home to the Empire State.
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2005, 03:14 by Beer Court »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

HarleyNukeWife

« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2005, 01:03 »
Thank you for the replies.  We thought about buying, but we own a home in VA that we aren't willing to sell at this point (unless the offer was outrageous, but it won't be).  Even with BAH didn't think we could swing two mortgages (on the oh crap, the tentant had to move premise).  I remember getting more bang for your buck ustate that you do here! 

We'll keep looking.  I hope the housing office might be of some help as well.  I don't know if we could do govt housing again, I like my stuff around and being able to do things.  Hmmm...

kwicslvr

« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2005, 04:04 »
There was no Navy staff housing when I was there.  The only Navy housing (Quiet Harbor in Saratoga Springs) was strictly for students, and staff pickups had to move out.  If this is what they are using for staff these days, they were only two-bedroom townhouses.  Not the best if you have more than one child.
Good luck and welcome home to the Empire State.

Yea they have seperate housing now.  The staff side is two bedroom duplexes with attached garages and on the other side of the main street is student housinfg which is 4 apartments in on building unit with detached garages.

oldtimer

« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2005, 06:31 »
How times have changed. Built a new 3 bdr. raised ranch in Geyser Crest in 1971 for $18,400, how about a $171.00 morgage payment. You may look at www.realtor.com for the Saratoga area. May get some good leads.

dbandcjs

« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:28 »
Hey all,

Saw this thread and thought I would add to it.  I went through MARF in late 95-96 (ELT).  I did 8, MM1, and got out in 02.  I am now going back as a site RCT for KAPL/NR. 

Right now I am waiting for a DOE clearance, along with my friend MM1 John "Dusty" Rhodes, and hope to move up no later than mid February 05.

We have thought about buying, but alot of my prior shipmates, that are now instructors up there, have advised me to rent for 6 months to a year and look for home during that time. 

I just hope that finding a rental won't take too long once my family and I arrive.  I am a reservist and hoped to stay at the support unit at a BAQ, but it looks like it hasn't grown any since I left in 96. 

see you all soon

Chuck Slama

kwicslvr

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2005, 08:50 »
another good realtor site

www.forsalebyowner.com

shayne

« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:56 »
Saratoga Family Housing Office would be the first place to go.  One of the better housing offices I have seen in the Navy.

Chuck, good luck with job at KAPL

Shayne

HarleyNukeWife

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2005, 03:13 »
Thank you again, for all of your help.  The orders finally came through.  We leave VA in May. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?