Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Instrumentation Rental honeypot

Author Topic: Instrumentation Rental  (Read 5706 times)

Offline Tallguy

• Very Lite User
Instrumentation Rental
« on: Jan 07, 2016, 03:40 »
I'm researching the rental of a Ludlum 2224-1 with a 43-93.

Any recommendations for firm to contact?

Thanks!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Instrumentation Rental
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2016, 04:49 »
I used to rent from SEC or Duratec.  EnergySolutions owns Duratek, and PermaFix owns SEC.

EDi Also has instruments.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2016, 06:04 »
Also Kurt at 860.228.0721

Aka Radiation Safety Associates

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:12 »
I'm researching the rental of a Ludlum 2224-1 with a 43-93.
Any recommendations for firm to contact?

I talked to EDi on your behalf.  They said to contact Ken Murphy  865-617-8783  kmurphy@edi-nm.com

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2016, 01:14 »
Shop around, prices will vary.  Typically a month will cost you 1/10 of purchasing the instrument.  So depending on how long you need it, purchasing it might be a better value.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2022, 09:57 »
How are neutron detection instruments source checked at remote sites?

I see that Cs137 buttons are available to rent with the ion chambers, but...how do you source check the REM ball?
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2022, 09:58 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2022, 04:45 »
Applied Health Physics rental rentals too.
+1 412-835-9555
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2022, 04:48 »
How are neutron detection instruments source checked at remote sites?

I see that Cs137 buttons are available to rent with the ion chambers, but...how do you source check the REM ball?
A Am-241/Be source is most often used.
But, I have to ask, what remote site are you surveying for N°?
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2022, 10:44 »
A Am-241/Be source is most often used.
But, I have to ask, what remote site are you surveying for N°?

When I posted the question, I was thinking that stand-alone ISFSI projects were only surveyed very occasionally & wouldn't have their own sources. But I have done some more research & sounds like the one I am interested in has a full-time RSO, so...? Maybe they have their own AmBe?

I heard rental instruments were going to be used for the specific project that I am going to be involved with, so was just trying to figure out how I was going to do my source checks.... More fun to ask on NukeWorker than to just ask my (future) boss?!?  ;)

Guess I will know the answer when/if the job happens.

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2022, 10:42 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2022, 01:15 »
When I posted the question, I was thinking that stand-alone ISFSI projects were only surveyed very occasionally & wouldn't have their own sources. But I have done some more research & sounds like the one I am interested in has a full-time RSO, so...? Maybe they have their own AmBe?

I heard rental instruments were going to be used for the specific project that I am going to be involved with, so was just trying to figure out how I was going to do my source checks.... More fun to ask on NukeWorker than to just ask my (future) boss?!?  ;)

Guess I will know the answer when/if the job happens.

I asked one of my contacts on the project that question and...got the impression that it was the first time the question had been considered...

So...

What is the REQUIREMENT for source checking rented instruments?

Common sense tells me that it would be a good idea to source check the instruments after UPS has been tossing them around for a couple of days, but...is there a REQUIREMENT to do a source check? Or can I just say the calibration check they performed at the rental company is good enough & get my surveys?

What is industry-standard for using rented instruments. This is my first go-round on such a project...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2022, 06:23 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2022, 10:22 »
Usual checks are response variety, especially on a short term job.  That said, it would be dependent on how the meter is referenced in reporting, i.e. a frisker need not the same criteria of checks as a gamma downlogger featured in reports to be analyzed by various groups downstream.
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2022, 10:43 »
Usual checks are response variety, especially on a short term job.  That said, it would be dependent on how the meter is referenced in reporting, i.e. a frisker need not the same criteria of checks as a gamma downlogger featured in reports to be analyzed by various groups downstream.

Thanks! My impression is that they will use my survey to make ALARA dose estimates for upcoming work, so... Probably good with response checks?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Sep 14, 2022, 07:41 »
You need all checks.  Contact the vendor for a copy of all calibration and QC checks, and initial source /setup checks.  You need to PROVE what you are seeing is what you are seeing. Then daily source checks (before and after) that re-validate the original data.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Sep 14, 2022, 09:59 »
You need all checks.  Contact the vendor for a copy of all calibration and QC checks, and initial source /setup checks.  You need to PROVE what you are seeing is what you are seeing. Then daily source checks (before and after) that re-validate the original data.

Hey Mike -

I poked around some more & the ISFSI has a gamma check source. So we are covered there.

Unfortunately, no AmBe, so plan is to fly off the cal data...backed by a response check on casks? And then hope that the post-survey check when it is returned to rental company falls in? The post- check will PROVE that we saw what we saw...IF it passes, but...    :D

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What was your solution?

Thanks for all the help!
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2022, 01:12 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2022, 10:27 »
Hey Mike -

I poked around some more & the ISFSI has a gamma check source. So we are covered there.

Unfortunately, no Ambe, so plan is to fly off the cal data...backed by a response check on casks? And then hope that the post-survey check when it is returned to rental company falls in? The post- check will PROVE that we saw what we saw...IF it passes, but...    :D

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What was your solution?

Thanks for all the help!

I have in the past created a source for source checking in containment by finding a hot spot in an acceptable range in an idle system and magic markered the geomemty. Similur to what you are suggesting, but that was decades ago. Is the field strong enough to to come to about a quarter of the lowest scale? I am assuming that you will not need any of the higher scales, actually hoping you will not need any of the higher scales.  :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2022, 01:13 »
I am assuming that you will not need any of the higher scales, actually hoping you will not need any of the higher scales.  :)

!!!  ;)

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2022, 09:07 »
Thanks! My impression is that they will use my survey to make ALARA dose estimates for upcoming work, so... Probably good with response checks?
Then there should be an applicable source to use for daily and/or pre/post survey response checks on site.

A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #17 on: Sep 22, 2022, 08:22 »
Then there should be an applicable source to use for daily and/or pre/post survey response checks on site.

We are using a 2363 with a 42-41L probe. We source check the internal probe in the 2363 pre- & post-....and response check the 42-41L on the cask lid.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Sep 22, 2022, 10:42 »
I'm not familiar with that setup, used to the old BF3 rem ball. But, if that protocol of checks is what the CHP has prescribed, then those are the checks to be used.😉
A REM is a REM is a REM

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Sep 23, 2022, 06:36 »

It's a great instrument combo. Probe is probably only 5 pounds? So, you can put it on extendable pole & reach as far as your HV cable will allow. I surveyed the tops of all the ISFSI casks (including contact, 30 cm & 1 m readings) without having to leave the scissor lift. Only had to position lift at 2 points per cask, 180 degrees apart. *

Would have been impossible with a Rem ball!

*Note: This survey performed using a 6' 5" knuckle-dragger tech. Your Mileage May Vary.    ;)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Sep 23, 2022, 06:38 »
One more quick question: Does anyone rent neutron self reading dosimetry?         (I looked at all the companies' websites & don't see anything, but...?)

Side question: Is there even an option in neutron self reading dosimetry? Or are you limited to DMC-3000s?

Thanks for all the help!  :)
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2022, 06:53 by UncaBuffalo »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?