Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Foreign citizenship problems honeypot

Author Topic: Foreign citizenship problems  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Lostviolinist

• Lurker
Foreign citizenship problems
« on: Jan 15, 2016, 10:05 »
So I'm wondering, for the security clearance necessary to be a Navy Nuke, is it really prohibited to carry dual citizenship under any circumstance? I was born with Panamanian citizenship and only recently found out that I didn't automatically lose it when I gained American citizenship. I'm more than willing to renounce that citizenship but the Panamanian embassy told me I would have to wait 1 year or more for them to process the request. This has kind of put a halt to my plans since my recruiter has been insisting that as long as I have that foreign citizenship they won't even consider allowing me into the nuclear power program. Is this true? I never once exercised any rights as a Panamanian citizen nor returned to that country since I left at the young age of 3. So I was hoping that as long as I sent in the request to renounce my foreign citizenship the investigators would not find any reason to question my loyalty to the United States. Although my recruiter is also refusing to send in my paperwork for the nuke program until the citizenship issue is resolved. What should I do? Just give up and pick another rate? Is there anyone I could contact for help?

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Foreign citizenship problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2016, 09:23 »
The material you are exposed to in the NNPP is classified CONFIDENTIAL/NOFORN. NOFORN = no foreigners. Since you have Panamanian citizenship, that makes you a foreigner, and you are not allowed access to the material.

In other words, you need to be only a U.S. citizen for security clearance purposes.

Your recruiter would love to make you a nuke if he could. He gets bonus points for that.

Your options are to wait for the Panamanian government to allow you to renounce your citizenship or pick another rate that doesn't require you to view NOFORN matieral on a daily basis.
« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2016, 10:21 by spekkio »

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2016, 02:56 »
Uh wouldnt it be view NOFORN at all?

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2016, 12:54 »
Uh wouldnt it be view NOFORN at all?
Yes and no. There is the 'spidey sense' paperwork the Security Manager hands out to everyone that basically says you may have come across classified information that is above your clearance in the course of your duties, and you are not at liberty to discuss it with anyone.

This basically has to be handed to all nukes who are not TS/SCI cleared because they may have had to go to control to do a forward tagout. My understanding is that surface ships are able to better compartmentalize the ship because of the space available, but I have no first-hand knowledge of how they manage that on deployment.
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2016, 12:56 by spekkio »

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2016, 02:02 »
Thanks. Its not as cut and dry as I thought! I appreciate your response.

TVA

« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2018, 03:32 »
Why are you posting this in multiple forums?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?