Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Active Nuke EM looking for advice for furthering myself honeypot

Author Topic: Active Nuke EM looking for advice for furthering myself  (Read 4981 times)

Offline JaredMoran619

• Very Lite User
Hey, thanks for looking at this post. I have looked to see if I could find any info here with regards to the Usmaps program with no luck however I guess I'll ask and sorry in advance if this topic has been posted already. Anyways I am an active duty nuke EM stationed in WA on the Nimitz, prior SPU, and I wanted to ensure I get everything out of the navy that I can while I do my job. I have looked into the Usmaps program but I am curious as to which certificate to persue that would be most beneficial in the civilian world. I am also on track to get my bachelors from Excelsior, as well as qualifying up to Load dispatcher & SRO, PPWS if I can, and as far up in QA that I can. I do not have a specific plan as far as what I want to do after my time in the navy, however I would like to make myself as marketable as possible. If you have any suggestions, perhaps you've gone through this already, I would really appreciate it, thank you.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Active Nuke EM looking for advice for furthering myself
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2016, 03:27 »
Qualify everything you can while you are in. Use the GI Bill to go to a real school and focus on excelling at your studies and making connections when you get out. There's more to education than just getting a piece of paper.
« Last Edit: Jan 18, 2016, 03:27 by spekkio »

Offline moltra

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2016, 10:05 »
Yes, make sure you finish your degree before you get out.  It will help you more than anything else.  If you can get certified on SAP.  It is the software that most plants are going to and you need it to get most planning and engineering jobs.  I am trying to get my certification now.

Offline JaredMoran619

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2016, 04:17 »
Thank you both for the advice, I will definitely research SAP and should be able to finish my degree here shortly. I wish you the best with getting your certification as well.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2016, 07:33 »
Not sure what the Navy may have to offer in this realm, but the repair and preventative maintenance on motor operated valves(MOV) is a huge facet of civilian/commercial nuclear power.This work is predominantly if not exclusively performed by electricians. When our plant was shutdown, the guys that were able to almost immediately procure gainful employment inside the protected were MOV trained electricians and I&C types. Good luck and thanks for your service. MM2/ELT USS Nimitz 80-84.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?