Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu out of Nuclear field for over 3 years honeypot

Author Topic: out of Nuclear field for over 3 years  (Read 14365 times)

Offline moltra

• Lurker
out of Nuclear field for over 3 years
« on: Jan 27, 2016, 10:03 »
I am a Navy Nuc, that was in the USN nuclear field for over 11 years and worked at USEC ACP for 3 years total, last 1.5 years was in a security holding position.  Since then I have been working in the Steel Industry.  I lost my job back in Oct 2015 and have not had any luck finding anything in the Nuclear contract field.  I keep getting told that I need recent experience.  My last Nuclear Contracting job was as the Lead Electrical Field Engineer for Williams Specialty Services at Watts Bar Unit 2 construction back in January 2011.  Anyone know of a position or a way to get back in the nuclear field.  I have been out of work for 3 months and I need to get back to work, the area I live in is an area where there is not a lot of plants, and the ones that are here have laid people off in the last 6 months.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/smsjob

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: out of Nuclear field for over 3 years
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2016, 08:57 »
Check your PM's.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2016, 09:04 »
Check the various utility sites. Also why just limit yourself to nukes?

Offline RANDYNIER70

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2017, 04:23 »
RERUN, What other choices are out there that pay similar to nuclear work? please help. im looking to get back into nuke outages. ive been out of it for about 2 years. any help would be greatly appreciated by all.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2017, 04:50 »
RERUN, What other choices are out there that pay similar to nuclear work? please help. im looking to get back into nuke outages. ive been out of it for about 2 years. any help would be greatly appreciated by all.

Rerun hasn't logged onto this site since August 16, 2016.

It is my understanding that the construction sites at Summer and Vogtle have high turnover rates. Perhaps you should look into that. They are in a bit of a transition period with Westinghouse filling bankruptcy, but I doubt that the projects will be canceled.

HeavyD

« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2017, 07:10 »
Our turnover rates for company employees isn't very high.

Turnover for the craft and trade for the constructor is around 30%ish, which I understand is fairly typical for a large-scale construction project of this size and magnitude.  These guys and gals follow the money.

Check our site, SCE&G (V.C. Summer) and Southern's for job postings.  For example, Unit 1 here has openings for Mechanical and Electrical Maintenance supervisors currently.  The Unit 1 postings are almost all due to folks retiring.

Best of luck. 

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 06, 2017, 09:32 »
Our turnover rates for company employees isn't very high.

Turnover for the craft and trade for the constructor is around 30%ish, which I understand is fairly typical for a large-scale construction project of this size and magnitude.  These guys and gals follow the money.

Check our site, SCE&G (V.C. Summer) and Southern's for job postings.  For example, Unit 1 here has openings for Mechanical and Electrical Maintenance supervisors currently.  The Unit 1 postings are almost all due to folks retiring.

Best of luck. 

I was speaking specifically about the construction side for contractors. I understand that the 30% turnover may be the norm for large long term construction projects, but I'd bet money it's the highest turnover rate anywhere for Nuclear right now. I also understand that if the companies are officially stating "around 30%" it's probably closer to 40%.

From the handful of people I know that are working or have worked at one of the two sites, they stated there was indeed a high turnover. People get burnt out on the long hours, they're "money'd up" and want some time off, it happens. My suggestion was for someone that had been out of it for a while that was looking for a way in, in July no less. I'm guessing his best bet is one of the two construction sites.

Perhaps you could share with him, and anyone else interested, what the current situation is as far as employer options? I know that Fluor is there and has jobs postings up for both sites. I'm not sure what else is out there.

HeavyD

« Reply #7 on: Jul 06, 2017, 09:45 »
As for the constructor, we get to see their actual data as far as new hires and departures, so that 30% is fairly accurate.  It was a huge shock for folks around here because the station wasn't used to that sort of churn, even though their experiences were based solely on the station.  People working here that have worked in construction before were honestly surprised that it wasn't higher, given what that had seen in the past.

As far as what Fluor or any other contractor is looking for, I'm not sure where they post their openings.  Work is continuing out here.  They haven't sent people home or cut back on the schedule.   In the last 3 weeks we've set ring 3 of Unit 2's containment vessel and installed Unit 2's 2nd steam generator.  They need folks, and for those with past nuclear experience, they would probably grab them up quick.

I realize this response is a little light on details for those looking for job opportunities.  All I can say is search Fluor for V. C. Summer.  We also have openings in other parts of the company (non-nuclear); search SCE&G.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 06, 2017, 10:21 »
As for the constructor, we get to see their actual data as far as new hires and departures, so that 30% is fairly accurate.  It was a huge shock for folks around here because the station wasn't used to that sort of churn, even though their experiences were based solely on the station.  People working here that have worked in construction before were honestly surprised that it wasn't higher, given what that had seen in the past.

As far as what Fluor or any other contractor is looking for, I'm not sure where they post their openings.  Work is continuing out here.  They haven't sent people home or cut back on the schedule.   In the last 3 weeks we've set ring 3 of Unit 2's containment vessel and installed Unit 2's 2nd steam generator.  They need folks, and for those with past nuclear experience, they would probably grab them up quick.

I realize this response is a little light on details for those looking for job opportunities.  All I can say is search Fluor for V. C. Summer.  We also have openings in other parts of the company (non-nuclear); search SCE&G.

That is good information. Thanks for sharing.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?