Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Questions about whether or not I will be accepted

Author Topic: Questions about whether or not I will be accepted  (Read 4645 times)

Offline Masterian

• Very Lite User
Hello Nukeworker community, I just have questions about whether or not I would be accepted into the Navy Nuke community based on my scores, age, and education level.

I took the ASVAB at the end of January and received an AFQT score of 95
My NAVY NUC composite score was 252 (which as I understand qualifies me for Alpha NUKE/no NFQT required)
However, I am 25 years old and will possibly be 26 by the time of my DEP entrance. I have not been in school since High School. I also got my GED instead of a HS diploma(immature emotional decision at the time) but my GED reflects well above average understanding of Mathematics and Science. I have a natural curiosity in Physics and Mathematics, unfortunately it took me this long to decide that this is truly something I can see myself doing and enjoying for a career. I am a much more mature person now and wish to do something great with my life. I am afraid however that they will see these factors as reasons not to allow me to join the Navy Nuclear program. I also understand that if they do decide to give it a go that they will probably require me to take the NFQT anyways since I have not been in school for such a long time.
My recruiter has been suggesting (quite vigorously) that I go NUKE. Is she just trying to boost her quota? Perhaps for a commissioned agenda? Can they actually have any say towards getting me this rating?
I want to go to MEPS and sign as a NUKE but I fear so many factors are working against me. Could anyone help me out here?
Thanks in advance for any advice or help provided!

Ian

HeavyD

Re: Questions about whether or not I will be accepted
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:01 »
Have you walked into a recruiter's office and asked the same questions?

Not being snarky, but that's part of what their job encompasses.

Based on what I recall, you haven't mentioned anything that would prevent you from joining the program.

Best of luck!

Offline Masterian

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:26 »
Thanks!
Yes I have talked to a recruiter, to be honest I hadn't even thought of Nuke till my direct recruiter asked me after the ASVAB, I felt I would enjoy it but didn't think it would be an option based off of information I have learned through these forums(pertaining to how hard it is to get a waiver). I asked a lot of questions aside from the "Are you insisting Nuke for your quota?" Perhaps I should pick her brain more about it. Even on my second visit, another recruiter asked if I was the one they were trying to get to into Nuke. I will ask around more. I really do appreciate your reply!

Ian

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2016, 06:22 »
Things might have changed in the last few years, but as I recall, nuke was the only program that required a high school diploma (no GED). That might be waiverable, but I'm not sure. Also, as a navy nuke you won't be doing much in the way of math and science. It's mostly plant operations and following procedures.

Offline Masterian

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2016, 07:06 »
Thanks for the reply MMM. I hope things have changed but I could understand the importance of the doploma in that field, which stinks for myself but nobody to blame but me. I will ask my recruiter more information about it. Thanks!

Ian

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?