Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Applying to NR from the fleet (BUD/S DUD) honeypot

Author Topic: Applying to NR from the fleet (BUD/S DUD)  (Read 9955 times)

Offline Dcouch91

• Lurker
Applying to NR from the fleet (BUD/S DUD)
« on: Feb 14, 2016, 10:47 »

I graduated in May 2015 with a BS in Electrical Engineering 3.875 GPA. I enlisted in the USN July 2015 with an SO contract. I DORed from BUD/S January 2016. I have since re-rated to AV/SG. I start A-school at the end of February 2016. I would like to apply to OCS (specifically NUPOC) as soon as possible. I have read through OPNAV 1420.1b which gave me an idea for the procedure, but its all pretty general. Can anyone give me any insight on what it will take for me to submit an application, chances of getting picked up, and a time frame for all of this. What I imagine is that Ill have to finish A-school and fulfill any requirements (Warfare Designations/Making Rank) of my next command while working with the AV Command Career Consular.

HeavyD

Re: Applying to NR from the fleet (BUD/S DUD)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:18 »
First, if I recall correctly, you can't apply for NUPOC because you already have a degree and are on Active duty.  NUPOC is a commissioning program for college Sophomores (Juniors?).

Reaching back 4 years or so, the OCS selection board convenes several times per year (if my memory isn't too fuzzy).

If you're in "A" School, talk to the school's Career Counselor.  That is just the kind of thing they do.

As for chances of getting picked up, etc, someone else on here may have some more realistic idea.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve! 

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2016, 09:52 »
NUPOC is the only way to commission into subs or swo nuke through OCS. It is confusing because they target ads for college tech majors, but it is open to college graduates. With a degree he'd get a month or two of E6 pay before his OCS date rather than the up to two years as a junior in college.
« Last Edit: Feb 15, 2016, 09:54 by spekkio »

HeavyD

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2016, 11:08 »
Spekkio, thanks for that clarification.  ;D

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?