Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear Plants Closing

Author Topic: Nuclear Plants Closing  (Read 40006 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Nuclear Plants Closing
« on: Feb 20, 2016, 08:59 »
Indian Point 3 4/1/2021
Indian Point 2
4/1/2020
Oyster Creek 12/31/2019
Pilgrim 5/31/2019
Palisades 10/1/2018
Quad Cities  6/1/2018
Clinton  6/1/2017
FitzPatrick 1/27/2017

Fort Calhoun
10/24/16
Vermont Yankee  12/29/14  DECON in Progress
San Onofre 2   6/7/2013   SAFSTOR
San Onofre 3   6/7/2013   SAFSTOR
Kewaunee   5/7/2013   SAFSTOR
Crystal River 3   2/20/2013   SAFSTOR
Millstone 1   7/21/1998   SAFSTOR
Big Rock Point   8/29/1997   DECON Completed
Zion 1   2/21/1997   DECON in Progress
Maine Yankee   12/6/1996   DECON Completed
Haddam Neck   12/5/1996   DECON Completed
Zion 2   9/19/1996   DECON in Progress
San Onofre 1   11/30/1992   DECON in Progress
Trojan   11/9/1992   DECON Completed
Yankee Rowe   10/1/1991   DECON Completed
Fort St. Vrain   8/18/1989   DECON Completed
Shoreham   6/28/1989   DECON Completed
Rancho Seco   6/7/1989   DECON Completed
LaCrosse   4/30/1987   SAFSTOR - License transferred to EnergySolutions for D&D
Shippingport   1/1/1982   DECON Completed
Three Mile Island 2   3/28/1979   SAFSTOR to be D&D when unit 1 shuts down.
Dresden 1   10/31/1978   SAFSTOR
Humboldt Bay 3   7/2/1976   DECON in Progress
Indian Point 1   10/31/1974   SAFSTOR
Peach Bottom 1   10/31/1974   SAFSTOR
Fermi 1   9/22/1972   DECON
Saxton   5/1/1972   DECON Completed
NS Savannah   11/1/1970   SAFSTOR
Bonus*   6/1/1968   ENTOMB
Elk River*   2/1/1968   DECON Completed
Pathfinder   9/16/1967   DECON Completed
CVTR***   1/1/1967   DECON Completed
Piqua*   1/1/1966   ENTOMB
Hallam*   9/1/1964   ENTOMB
GE VBWR   12/9/1963   SAFSTOR
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2017, 06:07 by Rennhack »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: FitzPatrick joins Pilgrim and VY
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:23 »
You forgot Santa Susana and Pathfinder.

N-reactor can count as N-Reactor supplied the grid, NS Savannah did not as far as I have ever known.

I say this as the most common factor for the greatest number of reactors listed is that they supplied the grid.

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:32 »
Nice list.  I was told Humbolt is pretty much done.  Can't be sure though.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:34 »
Nice list.  I was told Humbolt is pretty much done.  Can't be sure though.

several more years to go,...

perhaps you heard the funding is pretty much done,... :-\

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:35 »
Take note: VY, Fitz and Pilgrim...All Entergy. All shut down before their time! I think this says as much about the Utility as it does anything! What is wrong with Entergy that they can't keep the northern plants running?
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:35 »
Dang

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:37 »
Has nothing to do with Entergy has everything to do with these being small single unit plants in a non friendly environment.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2016, 09:41 »
Take note: VY, Fitz and Pilgrim...All Entergy. All shut down before their time! I think this says as much about the Utility as it does anything! What is wrong with Entergy that they can't keep the northern plants running?

Why build FLEX buildings that have a 1 in 10,000 chance of ever being needed?!?!?!?

Come to think of it, why build them even if they are needed, there are other more frugal and smarter ways of getting the same result for less investment,....

Nothing is wrong with Entergy,...

the 3 boilers make little economic sense all things considered,...

they could make better sense,...

but those circumstances are not happening,.... [coffee]

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2016, 11:09 »
Has nothing to do with Entergy has everything to do with these being small single unit plants in a non friendly environment.

Mr Rerun is correct.  IPEC (IP2&3) are also in an unfriendly environment, but there are 2 of them....  Palisades is a single unit, but it has a contract to sell its electricity to 2022.

If it were an 'Entergy' issue, then Kewaunee and SONGS and a few others wouldn't be on the list.  What you do see though, is when Entergy bought those units, it made $ sense with $4.50/gal gas, and now it doesn't with $1.70/gal gas.

So many of us non-liberals like to say 'let the market speak'... well, it has spoken.

I'm conflicted between wanting low energy prices, and wanting them to be high enough for nuclear to make $ sense.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2016, 11:16 »
Why spend 70 million on "Fukushima Mods" that really don't decrease your core damage risk much? Especially when you're 3 1/2 hours from the coast.......

Oh wait, because the NRC says you have to  ;D
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2016, 12:06 »
Why spend 70 million on "Fukushima Mods" that really don't decrease your core damage risk much? Especially when you're 3 1/2 hours from the coast.......

Oh wait, because the NRC says you have to  ;D
yins got a lake eerie oar michigan sew nammy yule sea why.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:24 »
pretty much on schedule:

"Renaissance in Reverse: Competition Pushes Aging U.S. Nuclear Reactors to the Brink of Economic Abandonment,"

....a review of the remaining U.S. fleet reveals that 38 reactors in 23 states are at risk of early retirement, with 12 facing the greatest risk of being shutdown, according to a major new analysis by Mark Cooper, senior fellow for economic analysis, Institute for Energy and the Environment, Vermont Law School.....

....The 12 reactors (in alphabetical order) were found to be at greatest risk of early retirement and their risk
factors are Clinton (selling into a tough market), Davis-Besse (large number of risk factors), Fitzpatrick (high cost but offset by high market clearing price), Fort Calhoun (outage, poor performance), Ginna (single unit with negative margin, existing contract), Indian Point (license extension, state opposition), Millstone (tax issues), Nine Mile Point (site size saves it, existing contract), Oyster Creek (already set to retire early), Palisades (repair impending, local opposition) Pilgrim (large number of risk factors, local opposition), and Vermont Yankee (tax issue and state opposition).

http://216.30.191.148/atriskreactors.html

to be objective the author does have an agenda and it is not favorable to making electricity via nuclear fission,...

the author would like to claim 38% of the current on-line reactors are at risk and settles on 12% being essentially "imminent",...

I might go with 6% in the next six years,...

but really, they should have gone anyhow, there is some concern, even on my part, about extending some of these old dogs out twenty or more years,...

it would be nice to actually see a new construction plant come on line in the next six years,...

but historically, we are way too far behind on the sustainability curve,...

woo hoo some more,.... :-\

three years ago we had about 100 plants on line,...

since then we've lost VY, Kewaunee & CR3,...

by 2019 we also lose Pilgrim and Fitz and IIRC Oyster Creek goes away too,...

I might go with 6% in the next six years,...

I'm right on schedule,...

and the apologists are wrong, still wrong, six years later:

As the Second Coming spoke and delivered his prophecy, the true believers admired his vision, while the negative minded nukeworker bloggers prepared their ridicule.

This post is one prime example. He takes a positive step toward enhancing nuclear power and all we get on this blog is negativity. All I can say is TYPICAL.....

not happening before January 2017,....not happening at all,...

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2016, 11:52 »
Dont do it and you have no nuke plants at all

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2016, 12:04 »
Dont do it and you have no nuke plants at all

don't do what?!?!?

we've covered a few points of contention on this thread,...

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2016, 02:16 »
Fukushima items

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:05 »
Fukushima items

as I understand it the licensee has no choice to not build unless they choose to shutdown,....

which comes back to the current paradigm where the regulators and their bosses in the current administration talk an okay nuclear game but don't walk the talk, they shut down Yucca so there is no final repository, they demand Fukushima and security upgrades which push the smaller margin sites into being untenable, and they reassure with talk about "future, safe, nuclear" but in the last eight years there is no new nuclear, and as illustrated before a couple of ways, once the market gets below a certain percentage, nuclear just drops off the radar screen,....

when nuclear loses it's economy of scale, it no longer makes sense as a commercial business venture,...

perhaps some viability if run as a public benefit corporation,...

but, there you go,... [coffee]

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2016, 04:38 »
There are literally no legit reasons to......

1. Have Security as the largest department at a Nuclear Power Plant.....its INSANITY

2. Require already established Nuclear Power Plants to spend MILLIONS on beyond design basis upgrades (no matter where they are located) because Mother Nature decided to be a huge bitch 5 years ago and the Japanese decided it was better to blow up their reactor buildings than vent.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2016, 06:58 »
There are literally no legit reasons to......
1. Have Security as the largest department at a Nuclear Power Plant.....its INSANITY

At the site I currently work at, security is 25% of the total work force.  That is a lot.  I had no idea it was that large.

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2016, 07:16 »
BTW, your NUF cram notes were a perfect refresher for somebody who hasn't taken it in 10 years. Thanks for the effort!! I got a 94, and that was from just reading it once.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2016, 08:39 »
BTW, your NUF cram notes were a perfect refresher for somebody who hasn't taken it in 10 years. Thanks for the effort!! I got a 94, and that was from just reading it once.

Thank you, please post a review: http://amzn.to/1QaFjMS

Only 5 reviews so far  [SadPanda]
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016, 08:40 by Rennhack »

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2016, 11:56 »
Done  :)

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:53 »

Single unit plants in an unregulated market.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2016, 09:50 »
Single unit plants in an unregulated market.

how many times over can we paraphrase this?!?! :P ;) :) 8)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:42 »

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2016, 09:25 »
I tend to agree with your reasoning.

Nothing is wrong with Entergy,...
Really.... well tell me which plants are in Column 4? Who are the owners? I haven't been impressed with the Entergy Model in recent years, just my opinion.

Mr Rerun is correct.  IPEC (IP2&3) are also in an unfriendly environment, but there are 2 of them....  Palisades is a single unit, but it has a contract to sell its electricity to 2022.

If it were an 'Entergy' issue, then Kewaunee and SONGS and a few others wouldn't be on the list.  What you do see though, is when Entergy bought those units, it made $ sense with $4.50/gal gas, and now it doesn't with $1.70/gal gas.

So many of us non-liberals like to say 'let the market speak'... well, it has spoken.

I'm conflicted between wanting low energy prices, and wanting them to be high enough for nuclear to make $ sense.

I agree, the only thing keeping IP open for business is the second unit. I'm not sure how much longer that will save their skin. I'd bet that Palisades is on the short list and won't be surprised when the news release comes out on it's shutdown date.

Kewaunee is the only odd one. It is obvious why SONGS shut down and has been discussed multiple times and falls in that same group as the debacle that was/is Crystal River.
« Last Edit: Feb 24, 2016, 10:08 by ksheed12 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?