Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Enlistment Process

Author Topic: The Enlistment Process  (Read 4841 times)

Offline BokuWaYoru

• Lurker
The Enlistment Process
« on: Feb 22, 2016, 03:20 »
Hello guys. So I had a question, and I apologize if it has been asked already, I'm having a hard time looking on my phone.
I'm working on enlisting into the Nuke program, super excited about it. My recruiter told me something that seemed strange so I wanted to ask to see what you guys had to say. He told me that the process is a little different, and after my physical, I'll be assigned a random job while I go through another process in the background, and that my job will later change to be that of a Nuke. Is that true, or is this just something he is saying? It didn't make much sense to me, especially since I auto-qualed for the program based on my ASVAB scores, but seeds of doubt have been sewn so I thought I would ask.
Thanks in advance!

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: The Enlistment Process
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2016, 04:39 »
First, there's a specific forum for joining the navy, so expect this to be moved there (this is for getting into commercial nuclear).

Second, that doesn't sound right. I believe you'll start training as normal while the background check is going on. If there are issues, you'll get placed on training hold until they get worked out. Keep in mind, I joined over 20 years ago, but I went through each part of training with only a week or two between boot camp and A school and about two months between A school and Power School, and those were just waiting for the classes to start. Unless the "random job" your recruiter was talking about was what you would be doing while waiting to class up, in which case I think he was confused.

Offline BokuWaYoru

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2016, 04:57 »
Sorry for the confusion about where I posted, clearly new and didn't do my research as I should have lol.

But yeah, it sounded weird to me. From what I understood, I would basically sign my contract as whatever job I picked, then they would change it later after the background check, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me in terms of what a contract usually is.

Offline Arxos

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2016, 06:55 »
I joined the Navy January of last year. They wanted to do the same thing with me, in that they wanted me to get a different job initially with a far away ship date, and go through the MEPS process, then once a Nuke slot opened up, I would just sign the new contract at the office and be good to go. I opted to just wait for a slot, and got one a month later. They're not trying to trick you into not being a Nuke, if that's your concern.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2016, 08:05 »
This happened to me. No bogus stuff here. You are going to MEPs to get physically cleared while your security clearance is going through.... Just don't leave for boot camp without being signed up as a nuke.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?