Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I'm In Ops At A Refinery. What Do I Need To Do To Get On As a Nuclear Operator? honeypot

Author Topic: I'm In Ops At A Refinery. What Do I Need To Do To Get On As a Nuclear Operator?  (Read 24235 times)

Offline MisplacedHog

• Light User
I'm baffled.  I recently applied for an AO position (there were 20 openings) at a nuke facility in my home state (Arkansas).  I've been an operator for close to two years at a refinery, completed my Process Technology degree (with a 4.0 GPA), have a B.S degree, have a stable work history, and even have written glowing references and great work feedback that I uploaded as part of my resume package.

I wasn't even invited to an interview.  I am beyond stunned.  What am I missing here?  What do I need to do?  Is it my lack of nuclear experience?  I figured being an operator plus having the Process Technology degree would have been enough to at least get an interview.

What do I need to do?  I'm trying to get my family back home, but it appears that will never happen.  Thanks for any help/feedback.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2016, 12:10 by MisplacedHog »

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
Before I read your second to last sentence I was going to ask why you'd want to.
Who knows why. You are more than qualified considering an AO is an entry level job.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
Entergy closing nuke plants might have a lot to do with it. Also most utilities have a 100 mile rule for hiring an entry level position. Within that hundred miles they will get about 1000 applicants. These people can immediately take any testing and if IIRC Entergy requires the POSS. They can immediately show up for interviews. Of those 1000 they will probably interview maybe 80 people, sometimes more sometimes yes. For an entry level position they don't have the resources to spend on flying you in, getting you a room, and buying meals. Most importantly they will find qualified candidates within that population. If they can't its a lot less expensive to simply repost the job until they get the right people. This is a shrinking industry, with lots of qualified candidates out there.

Offline MisplacedHog

• Light User
Entergy closing nuke plants might have a lot to do with it. Also most utilities have a 100 mile rule for hiring an entry level position. Within that hundred miles they will get about 1000 applicants. These people can immediately take any testing. They can immediately show up for interviews.
As can I.  I would take a vacation day, if needed, in order to make a pre-employment test and/or an interview.
For an entry level position they don't have the resources to spend on flying you in, getting you a room, and buying meals.
I wouldn't expect that.  I don't think they are covering that anyway as the job posting specifies that there is no relocation assistance with this job.
Most importantly they will find qualified candidates within that population.
Not doubting you, but based upon their desired qualifications for the job posting, I don't see it.  Anyway, feels like I was kicked in the jewels by not being invited to an interview.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
You miss the point.... By 100 Miles I mean they require you LIVE within 100 miles. Its been proven local people stay. Its not a matter of whether you can make to the interview.

Two: I have interviewed hundreds and hired well over 200 people into operations.. Don't doubt me. I can get hundreds of qualified  people in a 100 mile radius, then chunk in the Navy guys.... If I am going to go out of 100 miles Entergy has plants that are CLOSING, I can get guys from other nuclear utilities, or I can get guys from the Navy with actual nuclear experience. Then maybe you.

I am telling you exactly why you didn't get an interview. You live outside a certain radius and people who applied outside the radius are infinitely more qualified.

Offline Frank Cable

• Light User
You miss the point.... By 100 Miles I mean they require you LIVE within 100 miles. Its been proven local people stay. Its not a matter of whether you can make to the interview.

Two: I have interviewed hundreds and hired well over 200 people into operations.. Don't doubt me. I can get hundreds of qualified  people in a 100 mile radius, then chunk in the Navy guys.... If I am going to go out of 100 miles Entergy has plants that are CLOSING, I can get guys from other nuclear utilities, or I can get guys from the Navy with actual nuclear experience. Then maybe you.

I am telling you exactly why you didn't get an interview. You live outside a certain radius and people who applied outside the radius are infinitely more qualified.

With this being said, you know what you need to do right?  Use a local relatives/friends address. There's nothing wrong with it.
« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2016, 01:49 by Frank Cable »

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
Until you have to prove it with a lease..

Offline Frank Cable

• Light User
Until you have to prove it with a lease..

I wasn't asked for "proof of residence" at my place. Do you ask at yours?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
With this being said, you know what you need to do right?  Use a local relatives/friends address. There's nothing wrong with it.

nothing other than misrepresentation of the facts,... :-\

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
nothing other than misrepresentation of the facts,... :-\

It has been a few years since I was doing this at a NPP.  But an entry level (without Nuke or Navy experience) greater than 50 miles was not considered. 

I distinctly remember a candidate applying for a learner HP position showed an address in MD and this was NC.  (Resume/Application Trashed)

About two weeks later a person from HR called and asked if I would consider this person if they lived locally.  My answer was, "of course", she faxed me a new resume that showed an address approximately 20 miles away, I scheduled an interview.  Although this person had no experience, this person had been trained by many folks that I knew. 

Hired for a training class (Learner 1).  Most of the folks in the class had some experience and were hired as L-2, L-3, or L-4.  It wasn't one plant, but 3 providing trainees.  Long story short, this individual came out of the class as #1, was promoted faster than anyone else in the class, and was a supervisor in less than 5 years.

Moral of the story, to the OP, if you really want the job you may have to give up something else!  But do not misrepresent reality, that will cost in the long run.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
With this being said, you know what you need to do right?  Use a local relatives/friends address. There's nothing wrong with it.

Integrity.

Offline MisplacedHog

• Light User
Appreciate everyone's feedback.  Have a good weekend.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
I wasn't asked for "proof of residence" at my place. Do you ask at yours?

Absolutely I do

Offline Nuke1315

• Very Lite User
Just as another reference point.  I was called for 3 separate interviews at two different companies that were greater than 100 miles away.  All three interviews were for an NLO job.  I was flown to one interview and was paid mileage for the other two.  I had neither navy nor nuke experience.  Ended up being offered a job after my third interview.  Some plants may go for people in a close radius, but I am proof that they all don't operate that way.  I was hired with a class of ten.  There were only 2 or 3 people in that class that lived even remotely close to the plant. A majority of us came from out of state.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
Note I never said all. I simply offered it as a potential and likely reason

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
Note I never said all. I simply offered it as a potential and likely reason 

Likely reason, Yes!

Unless the reviewer understands the experience gained at the present location, it is another shred/trash.  If the reviewer understands the difference and the experience gained, then it becomes much more viable to bring someone in from out of the area.

Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Red Gold

• Light User
Most plants prefer local candidates, even if it's only a slight preference. If there are two similar candidates, the local one will get the nod every time. On the flip side, like zf800, I've had travel covered to multiple places to interview... but I obtained those interviews with some prior nuclear experience, which as others have pointed out is a massive factor in this industry. Even though you probably did some great work at the refinery, nukes will always consider nuclear experience over and above most other kinds of industrial experience.

And then there's the fact that ANO is an Entergy plant. With VY reducing further staff plus the closure of Fitzpatrick and Pilgrim, there are going to be plenty of candidates from other Entergy sites coming from far away to consider many other people who aren't local. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you may have to either wait a while or look at some other nuclear plants to enter the industry.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2016, 08:31 by Red Gold »

Offline tr

• Moderate User
Given the local preference utities have, I'd stress your local ties and the stated desire to "get back home" the next time they hire.  It might be worthwhile trying to reach out to HR as well to see if they can give you any advice.

jowlman

Next time  I would suggest putting in your cover letter your desire to get your family back home to Arkansas, that way they will know that you are local.

Offline MisplacedHog

• Light User
Next time  I would suggest putting in your cover letter your desire to get your family back home to Arkansas, that way they will know that you are local.

I did.  I stressed it heavily.  Trust me.

What's so disheartening is that I tried for over a year to get into operations, but found it impossible to do so without any Ops experience.  A number of people told me to go to PTEC school (process technology) because plants love people with the PTEC degree.  Well, I did that, landed an internship my last semester and that led to a full time Operator position.

There were no PTEC programs (in Arkansas) three years ago when I decided to enroll in school in Louisiana.  So, I moved nine hours south, by myself to south Louisiana (had a three month old little girl, three year old little boy, and wife back home) in order to complete the PTEC program.  I had to better my career for myself and my family.  I sacrificed a lot to get into operations.

So, fast forward three years later and I hear the same thing as before....no nuke experience and I'm not a local.  It's always something.  I almost feel trapped.  It's as if I can't leave and I'll never be able to get back home.  Anyway, not that any of you really care.  I'm just blowing off steam.

It's always flipping something.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
It will always be that way. Sorry. But question: Have you tried Nucor in Louisiana?

jowlman, no one will care if he puts that in the cover letter. I don't even read them. Also the Cover Letter isn't for BS like that.

Offline MisplacedHog

• Light User
Have you tried Nucor in Louisiana?

Nucor actually has a pretty terrible reputation down here for being a plant that you don't want to work for.  Secondly, that doesn't accomplish anything....I'm trying to get my family back home to Arkansas.  Nucor is a DRI plant, not a nuclear plant.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
Agreed but fact is you arent going to get into a nuke. I was trying to be helpful

Offline MisplacedHog

• Light User
Agreed but fact is you arent going to get into a nuke. I was trying to be helpful
Right now, probably not.  In the future, maybe.  If I don't, it won't be due to a lack of effort and trying on my end.

I could have sat on my ass when I attempted to become an operator back three years ago, but I did what was necessary to get there.  When I got in PTEC school, I told the advisor that I needed to be done in three semesters.  Her exact words were "There's no way you can complete the program in three semesters."  Guess what?  I completed the program in three semesters with a 4.0.

I don't let people tell me I can't do something.  If I don't look like an attractive enough candidate on paper, then I will do what's necessary to become more attractive to HR people and hiring managers.

By the way, has anyone told you that you're a ray of sunshine?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke

By the way, has anyone told you that you're a ray of sunshine?

Note his karma score - he's been told he is a ray of sunshine once or twice ;-)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?