Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ra 226 Source Shred  

Author Topic: Ra 226 Source Shred  (Read 5537 times)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Ra 226 Source Shred
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2016, 01:57 »
Lubenau and Yusko wrote a lot about this in days past, it's nothing new, and happens a lot less often in first world nations nowadays than it used to,...

second and third world?!?!?!?

you would be wise to have your own radiac equipment and occasionally scan your new product purchases,...

I do,...

you'll be surprised,.... :-\

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2016, 04:07 »
these sites are good fore non-outage techs n peeple wanting two bee hp. their good four outdoors types to.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2016, 07:10 »
these sites are good fore non-outage techs n peeple wanting two bee hp. their good four outdoors types to.

compensation rate is low,...

you learn about 15% of what you need to know to be competent on the NUF, the rest you will have to teach yourself,...

e.g. - I would allot 6 months max towards 18.1,... [coffee]

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4395.0.html
« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2016, 07:17 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2016, 11:10 »
While that learning curve may be applicable, it would only count correctly if you only worked one site. If you work multiple sites in a couple years you may learn that 15%/site and well have the knowledge base to pass that test. That should be a  issue only if you have a desire to work commercial nuclear power plants as the NUF is only applicable there.

The wages at these sites are generally driven by need. These are usually projects all shareholders want completed ASAP, thus skilled personnel wages are competitive. This time of year can be very lucrative as there is a shortage of techs for the staffing as:
1) most techs skilled in this environment are working long term DOE.
2) most other techs are in outage work or going to outage work.
3) few techs have the outreach to know these sites have developed and who to contact to get on the job.

These jobs are not for everyone. As SloGlo stated, it is work for the outdoors oriented individual (paraphrased). Cubicle chickadee slots are few and even the lab areas are spartan.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2016, 11:51 »
While that learning curve may be applicable, it would only count correctly if you only worked one site. If you work multiple sites in a couple years you may learn that 15%/site and well have the knowledge base to pass that test. That should be a  issue only if you have a desire to work commercial nuclear power plants as the NUF is only applicable there.

The wages at these sites are generally driven by need. These are usually projects all shareholders want completed ASAP, thus skilled personnel wages are competitive. This time of year can be very lucrative as there is a shortage of techs for the staffing as:
1) most techs skilled in this environment are working long term DOE.
2) most other techs are in outage work or going to outage work.
3) few techs have the outreach to know these sites have developed and who to contact to get on the job.

These jobs are not for everyone. As SloGlo stated, it is work for the outdoors oriented individual (paraphrased). Cubicle chickadee slots are few and even the lab areas are spartan.

not to draw it out too far I'll counter a small bit:

I need one (1) highly qualified, knows everything there is to know project lead at these jobs, the rest are extensions of the one under direct guidance and instruction,...

ergo, (1)  is skilled, (1) gets the skilled wage,....

as indicated, these jobs are highly driven by need to get back on line, no one is getting trained to a comprehensive level of knowledge, only trained enough to get the job done and the facility back on line,...

there is no shortage of degreed "environmental techs" who can be baby sat through a 3 to 6 week clean up for 20 bucks an hour,...

I only need the one 60 bucks per hour, highly skilled tech herder to get the others through the clean up,...

the EPA, ENCON, DPH, et al, love those degreed clean up kids, it's like a jobs fair into state and fed work,...

'Glo said these jobs were good fore non-outage techs n peeple wanting two bee hp.,...

people wanting to be hp are not eligible for competitive skilled personnel wages,...

as far as the 15% per site, it goes like this:

you get six months towards ANSI tech for this type of work, even if you performed this type of work over and over for ten straight years,...

just like if you decon over and over for ten straight years, you get six months towards ANSI tech,...

I could have the knowledge base to pass the NUF without ever having swung a meter in my entire life, it's a book test, it tests knowledge, not experience,...

you can only learn maybe 15% of what is on the NUF working these jobs, the rest you will have to teach yourself,...

soooooo,....

for "nubs" reading this thread who may be thinking about hooking into this line of work and earning time towards being an ANSI tech:

do not spend more than 6 months doing this line of work unless you really just love it and this is what you want to do because,....

because I don't care if you can ace the NUF without ever having swung a meter,....

quite a few people can,...

and lots of people can score 80% or better,...

I'm only gonna give you six months towards ANSI experience for junkyard clean up,...

as for Atomic Archeologists, GLWs & SloGlos,...

we could put this line of work on our resumes, but it would not be worth the ink and paper in our overall 90+ years of combined experience,...

for us, it's a pleasant diversion for which we get paid too,...

for peeple wanting two bee hp?!?!?

it's a dead end on the path to ANSI tech after the first six months,...

peace,...GLW  8)

BetaAnt

« Reply #6 on: Mar 06, 2016, 12:30 »
Having worked at a few of these sites years ago.... The project is schedule drive. The client doesn't care about total 100% clean. 'Just get it clean enough to silence the alarm'.
The work sites are spartan and you will have to bring everything with you (even toilets, generators, lights and decon showers - they did allow us to hook up to a fire hydrant for water though).
This is not a nuclear plant and OSHA enforcement is lax. The only time OSHA will show up is death, coma or bad press. Do not depend on Lockout Tagout to protect you, ours were cut off without warning or notice and the plant started smelting scrap again.
Be careful with these jobs. Client management will not like you (HP holding up production) and the plant workers hate you (no work, on furlough, and no pay).

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2016, 09:04 »

the EPA, ENCON, DPH, et al, love those degreed clean up kids, it's like a jobs fair into state and fed work,...

You do meet these people on this type of job. Those positions are not bad career moves neither. This is one way to make a good impression. Any method to pay the bills, gain experience, meet those who can help with a career cannot be bad.

Some attitudes may be.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 02:02 »
Just stepped onto one of these sites. There is a good sized crew here: about half dozen management types, 15-18 HPs including 3-5 prime contractor seniors, ~10 deconners, half dozen laborers, and a couple client employees. The work force has been growing since March, I believe no more incoming personnel are anticipated.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 01:01 »
Pay for road HPs here is $35/hr, $59/day meals, motel direct bill to company. Deconners are $20ish/hr, same for everything else.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?