Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NEC Admin Issue, any advice? honeypot

Author Topic: NEC Admin Issue, any advice?  (Read 46370 times)

Offline NuclearRaider

• Lurker
Re: NEC Admin Issue, any advice?
« Reply #50 on: Mar 20, 2016, 07:10 »
Im not sure if it is still the case, I got out in 2013 as an instructor at MARF, but having the NEC will not affect anything.  The only way to get an NPS billet is to have been LPO at sea as well as a prototype or other instructor (like IDE) tour.  Now of course there are a few exceptions, like making chief (but even chiefs first shore tour at NPS is rare), but that, more than likely isnt going to happen in a 3.5 - 4 year first tour.  Good luck with everything, my advice would be get EWS for > 2 years and go instant SRO at a civilian plant while the plants are still operating.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #51 on: Mar 21, 2016, 07:25 »
Have they changed the requirements to go to NPS/NFAS?  For NPS it used to be 1st half at NPS, 1st half at NPTU qualified EWS.  For NFAS, EWS wasn't required.  If you weren't 1st half/1st half but had completed an NPTU tour, then you could get a waiver so long as you were qualified EWS.  I know multiple people who've left the Navy from NNPTC staff duty and were never NPTU instructors, including a guy that just started here at EB.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #52 on: Mar 21, 2016, 08:44 »
In the Mid to late 80s being an EWS was not required. NPTU picked people to be EWS after they arrived though on some occasions guys would arrive with EWS orders. I think maybe 1 out of 8 arrived already as as EWS.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #53 on: Mar 21, 2016, 05:06 »
Have they changed the requirements to go to NPS/NFAS?  For NPS it used to be 1st half at NPS, 1st half at NPTU qualified EWS.  For NFAS, EWS wasn't required.  If you weren't 1st half/1st half but had completed an NPTU tour, then you could get a waiver so long as you were qualified EWS.  I know multiple people who've left the Navy from NNPTC staff duty and were never NPTU instructors, including a guy that just started here at EB.

EWS required for orders to NNPTC.

They don't want E6s going there without being eligible to make chief, EWS is required for E7. Or so I have heard.

Speaking of messed up NECs, I'm still waiting on my Supervisor pay to show up on my LES.... been over 2 months since we sent the message out. ;(
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #54 on: Mar 21, 2016, 05:49 »
Speaking of messed up NECs, I'm still waiting on my Supervisor pay to show up on my LES.... been over 2 months since we sent the message out. ;(
That should show up on your next pay-stub after you file the paperwork. You should follow up with this and get your Chief/Divo involved.

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
« Reply #55 on: Mar 21, 2016, 05:53 »
Update on the NEC issue: thanks to my old PMC and the current PMC it looks like I will be receiving my instructor NEC after all.

As for the last few comments about NPS/NFAS instructor positions, that's my goal for shore duty, and I absolutely already knew the requirements. I figured that if I'm up for shore duty being top half NPS/NPTU, EWS qualified, ELPO at sea, then maybe that instructor NEC would make me a bit more competitive for the position.
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

HeavyD

« Reply #56 on: Mar 22, 2016, 07:42 »

HeavyD

« Reply #57 on: Mar 22, 2016, 07:52 »
Additionally, to clarify any confusion about whether EWS/PPWS is required for advancement to Chief, below is quoted from NAVADMIN 014-16:

(6) Nuclear Trained Personnel.
            (a) Submarine Sailors in nuclear ratings must hold a supervisor NEC (3363, 3364, 3365, 3366).  Additionally, these personnel must have qualified as Engineering Watch Supervisor (EWS). Acceptable documentation of EWS qualification includes an evaluation with EWS documented or a letter from the Sailors command forwarded to the board via the Sailors LTB.
            (b) Surface Sailors in nuclear ratings must hold a supervisor NEC (3393, 3394, 3395, 3396).  Additionally these personnel must have qualified as EWS or Propulsion Plant Watch Supervisor (PPWS).  Acceptable documentation of EWS or PPWS qualification includes an evaluation with EWS or PPWS documented or a letter from the Sailor's command forwarded to the board via the Sailor's LTB.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2016/NAV16014.txt

This blurb has been included in the last 3 CPO advancement cycle NAVADMINs.  IT first appeared in 2012, if I recall correctly.  Essentially, this puts in writing what had been an unwritten requirement as far back as 2000, when I was selected.

Hopefully this info helps someone in setting goals for their sea tour as well as providing sailors an idea of where to find important information for themselves and their fellow sailors.

Thanks, once again, for those who continue to serve!

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #58 on: Mar 22, 2016, 05:44 »
I think that blurb first showed up in 2010 for the FY11 selection (possibly FY12). Before that is was an unspoken requirement.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #59 on: Mar 23, 2016, 10:53 »
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #60 on: Mar 24, 2016, 04:02 »
That should show up on your next pay-stub after you file the paperwork. You should follow up with this and get your Chief/Divo involved.
Got an email back confirming the NEC change. That's all I needed to know :).Don't care about the money just wanted to open up more doors for orders.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #61 on: Mar 25, 2016, 07:00 »
Got an email back confirming the NEC change. That's all I needed to know :). Don't care about the money just wanted to open up more doors for orders.
I'll never understand this mentality. You earned a bit of extra money by qualifying your supervisory NEC, and someone's incompetence prevented you from getting it. Somehow that doesn't make you really, really pissed off...

Then again, I also can't understand why people are okay with large tax returns instead of getting more money in their paychecks that they can invest into personal savings/securities accounts.

Regardless, I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #62 on: Mar 26, 2016, 08:30 »
I'll never understand this mentality. You earned a bit of extra money by qualifying your supervisory NEC, and someone's incompetence prevented you from getting it. Somehow that doesn't make you really, really pissed off...

Then again, I also can't understand why people are okay with large tax returns instead of getting more money in their paychecks that they can invest into personal savings/securities accounts.

The Instructor NEC is different than the Supervisor NEC. OP in no way shape or form meets the requirements for the 339X NEC, that requires, among other things, 6 years in (1 year can be waived, usually if you qualify PPWS/EWS), qualifying SIR, and some random qual card that came out a few years ago. None of that (other than SIR) is going to be accomplished by a JSI.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #63 on: Mar 26, 2016, 08:43 »
The Instructor NEC is different than the Supervisor NEC. OP in no way shape or form meets the requirements for the 339X NEC, that requires, among other things, 6 years in (1 year can be waived, usually if you qualify PPWS/EWS), qualifying SIR, and some random qual card that came out a few years ago. None of that (other than SIR) is going to be accomplished by a JSI.
Jechtm isn't the OP. What are you on about?

Offline Tylor

• Moderate User
« Reply #64 on: Mar 26, 2016, 03:07 »
Fun fact, this year they changed the requirement for the supervisory NEC to 4 years, not 6 years. I was just looking at the instruction the other day, and I believe it's 4 years if you qualified EWS and it's 6 years if you haven't qualified EWS. Not certain, but there is a new instruction.

That being said, yeah that had nothing to do with my original question, it was someone else's question. These forums do tend to drift off topic pretty regularly. :p
"There are no extraordinary men... just extraordinary circumstances that ordinary men are forced to deal with." -Admiral William Halsey

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #65 on: Mar 26, 2016, 05:53 »
....That being said, yeah that had nothing to do with my original question, it was someone else's question. These forums do tend to drift off topic pretty regularly. :p

BZ's general observation on Internet forums/threads etal, By the 5th post in any thread it starts drifting off topic. By 12 to 15 it has nothing to do with the original topic and if it surives to 30 or so it magically gets back on topic. This applies almost everywhere.

Mike

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #66 on: Mar 27, 2016, 09:01 »
Outage, nights, and just got over the flu. I think I deserve a little slack for not knowing who the OP was. Although I didn't know they changed the NEC manual.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #67 on: Mar 27, 2016, 09:34 »
Outage, nights, and just got over the flu. I think I deserve a little slack for not knowing who the OP was. Although I didn't know they changed the NEC manual.

no, no, no,...

the proper response is:

"Thank you for the peercheck.",... :P ;) :) 8)

it should be right there on the obverse of your ""2 Minute Drill" card,...

http://multi.tva.gov/contractor/instructors/ATIS00076300/HU_Tools_Student_Handout.pdf

http://nuclearsafety.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Traits-of-a-Healthy-Nuclear-Safety-Culture-INPO-12-012-rev.1-Apr2013.pdf

https://www.energy-northwest.com/Documents/Employee%20Portal/INPO%20Safety%20Culture%20Traits.pdf

clandestinus sic
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2016, 10:36 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #68 on: Mar 28, 2016, 08:40 »
Thank you for the coaching. An AR has been written and it will be implemented in future revisions. ;)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #69 on: Mar 28, 2016, 09:11 »
You are welcome.  8)

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #70 on: Mar 28, 2016, 04:43 »

Its back dated from when the captain signs it. So I do get the back pay ;)

~Bruce Lee

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #71 on: Mar 28, 2016, 09:19 »
Its back dated from when the captain signs it. So I do get the back pay ;)
Well if you're in the habit of giving interest-free loans, then I'll take the $900 you're owed and give it back to you next quarter.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?