Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Stop Wasting Time--Create a Long-Term Solution for Nuclear Waste  

Author Topic: Stop Wasting Time--Create a Long-Term Solution for Nuclear Waste  (Read 16288 times)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Passengers who did not know what was happening even those on flight 93 only had limited success. The point is that we may not know what to defend against, conduct of the passengers is irrelevant. The next attack may not involve civilian activity taking that out of the Root Cause Analysis not being a sure barrier to the event.

your rebuttal only reinforces the notion that the terrorist threat is so assymetrical, so unable to be defeated, so unrespective of our barriers, that ALL nuke should be immediately stopped because those bad guys are undefeatable and cannot be stopped from torching the vast acres of spent fuel ISFSI pads, or spilling the vast overcrowded SFPs into our rivers and ecosystems and food chains,...

you win, stop all  nuke now,...

actually, in your espoused world view,... the terrorists win,... :P ;) :) 8)
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2016, 02:59 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Have you ever read or helped to write a SAR or a DSAR?!?!?!

I have qualified as a DOE Safety Analyst and QSE.  ::)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
your rebuttal only reinforces the notion that the terrorist threat is so assymetrical, so unable to be defeated, so unrespective of our barriers, that ALL nuke should be immediately stopped because those bad guys are undefeatable and cannot be stopped from torching the vast acres of spent fuel ISFSI pads, or spilling the vast overcrowded SFPs into our rivers and ecosystems and food chains,...

you win, stop all  nuke now,...

actually, in your espoused world view,... the terrorists win,... :P ;) :) 8)

Now you are just trolling.

[bad mood]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
MMebbe,... But just a little,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Mounder

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
ahck, the Yucca scab was pretty well healed over and now you pop this article.   I'm going to dream about Harry Reid and all the other Vegas swindlers who played along with the building of Yucca and once it's ready: pull the plug.   And then try to resell it as a possible National Lab.  The Horror

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
I say keep the dry cask storage at the secure site and make Uncle Sam pay for it. Eventually the world will become smart (most likely by force) and the next generations reactors will make that "spent" fuel GOLD.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
The article is about long term disposal not short term fixes and the failure of our government to meet it's commitment to provide one. Stable geologic storage is the only long term solution that is universally recognized even reprocessing or "burning" only reduces the quantity.
sew, aye yam guessing that rail gunning it two hour sun gaught taken off yore table...
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2016, 09:39 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
The end game will still be a stable geologic burial unless we want the risk of rockets for off plant disposition.

sew, aye yam guessing that rail gunning it two hour sun gaught taken off yore table...

No just unlikely. Cost, failure rate, and general public opposition but maybe in a hundred years or so  ;)

"Just my opinion I could be wrong." D.M.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...

2 – interim comprehensive storage in lieu of undiscovered technology

this is the best current solution because this:

3 – deep geologic storage

is irreversible,....

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
this is the best current solution because this:

is irreversible,....
knot if you're elevator runs both up n down....  ;)
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
I say keep the dry cask storage at the secure site and make Uncle Sam pay for it. Eventually the world will become smart (most likely by force) and the next generations reactors will make that "spent" fuel GOLD.

I'd bet a box of doughnuts that a long term permanent storage facility built by the Feds isn't accepting commercial spent fuel in my lifetime. Why would they when all sites are either currently storing or planning to build storage at their respective sites, and other entities are offering to build temporary storage at a centralized location?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
I'd bet a box of doughnuts that a long term permanent storage facility built by the Feds isn't accepting commercial spent fuel in my lifetime. Why would they when all sites are either currently storing or planning to build storage at their respective sites, and other entities are offering to build temporary storage at a centralized location?

The current administration running Uncle Sam wants nothing to do with making nuclear viable over the long term.

e.g.

1 - cancelling Yucca Mountain

2 - cancelling by regulation obfuscation fiat Skull Valley ( http://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/politics/55513674-90/consortium-friday-license-nrc.html.csp )

cannot wait to see which "Friends of the Court" come out of the weeds for this next, viable, plan:

http://www.holtecinternational.com/2015/04/holtec-partners-with-elea-llc-in-new-mexico-to-build-consolidated-interim-storage-facility/

a box of doughnuts?!?!?

you cannot win a box of doughnuts bet on any viable plan in this country under the current geoacademiapolitical pedagogy,... [coffee]

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
The current administration running Uncle Sam wants nothing to do with making nuclear viable over the long term.

Current or future administration, the bet is good for the remainder of my lifetime, however long that may be....

a box of doughnuts?!?!?

Hey, regardless of the odds, I can't afford to wager high. I have a family to feed. I guess I could spring for coffee as well.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

You may be right but it will not be without consequences:

Government Liabilities

The Department of Energy was required by the Nuclear Waste Policy Act of 1982 to begin removing used fuel from reactor sites by 1998. The government’s failure to do so has resulted in nearly $2 billion in court-awarded damage settlements being paid from the taxpayer-funded Judgment Fund to compensate energy companies for storing the used fuel onsite. Damages could reach more than $20 billion by 2020 and up to $500 million annually after 2020.

http://www.nei.org/Issues-Policy/Nuclear-Waste-Management/Disposal

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
Damages could reach more than $20 billion by 2020 and up to $500 million annually after 2020.

Add it to the list: http://www.flake.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/03714fa3-e01d-46a1-9c19-299533056741/wastebook---the-farce-awakens.pdf

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
......Hey, regardless of the odds, I can't afford to wager high. I have a family to feed. I guess I could spring for coffee as well.

you misunderstand,...

a box of doughnuts is too high a wager,... 8)

but as a long as you are springing for coffee:

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?