Career Path > Different Country

Moving from UK to Canada/USA

(1/2) > >>

Britishnucleargrad:
Hi there,

I live in the UK and have just obtained my Masters degree in mechanical engineering, and I am starting a graduate job with an engineering consultancy within their nuclear design division.  I have always wanted to work abroad at some point and I would like to keep this option open.  However, I have read many jobs in the USA and Canada require security clearance and foreign nationals cannot obtain this therefore cannot work in these regions.  My question is, can anyone from the UK work in engineering in the nuclear industry in North America or is it strictly citizens from their home country?  I really want to keep the option of working abroad open to me and I don't know if I have already cut those ties.

Thanks!

Red Gold:
I think the biggest problem with landing a position in the US is going to be more basic even than that: obtaining work authorization, which is very difficult to get at the best of times in the United States and, in the nuclear industry, almost impossible for foreign folks who aren't already here as permanent residents, etc.

Britishnucleargrad:

--- Quote from: Red Gold on Apr 27, 2016, 10:43 ---I think the biggest problem with landing a position in the US is going to be more basic even than that: obtaining work authorization, which is very difficult to get at the best of times in the United States and, in the nuclear industry, almost impossible for foreign folks who aren't already here as permanent residents, etc.

--- End quote ---

What about Canada?

Thanks!

Britishnucleargrad:
Is it the case that my chances of being able to immigrate in the future, are very slim?  Even excluding the U.S. and considering another country?

Red Gold:
I don't know about Canada, because I don't live there! :) Most folks here live and work in the US with an small but helpful Canadian contingent. Hopefully one of them can give you more info.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version