Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Moving from UK to Canada/USA  

Author Topic: Moving from UK to Canada/USA  (Read 4782 times)

Britishnucleargrad

Moving from UK to Canada/USA
« on: Apr 27, 2016, 08:44 »
Hi there,

I live in the UK and have just obtained my Masters degree in mechanical engineering, and I am starting a graduate job with an engineering consultancy within their nuclear design division.  I have always wanted to work abroad at some point and I would like to keep this option open.  However, I have read many jobs in the USA and Canada require security clearance and foreign nationals cannot obtain this therefore cannot work in these regions.  My question is, can anyone from the UK work in engineering in the nuclear industry in North America or is it strictly citizens from their home country?  I really want to keep the option of working abroad open to me and I don't know if I have already cut those ties.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2016, 07:53 by Britishnucleargrad »

Offline Red Gold

• Light User
Re: Moving from UK to Canada/USA
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2016, 10:43 »
I think the biggest problem with landing a position in the US is going to be more basic even than that: obtaining work authorization, which is very difficult to get at the best of times in the United States and, in the nuclear industry, almost impossible for foreign folks who aren't already here as permanent residents, etc.

Britishnucleargrad

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2016, 06:26 »
I think the biggest problem with landing a position in the US is going to be more basic even than that: obtaining work authorization, which is very difficult to get at the best of times in the United States and, in the nuclear industry, almost impossible for foreign folks who aren't already here as permanent residents, etc.

What about Canada?

Thanks!

Britishnucleargrad

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2016, 06:34 »
Is it the case that my chances of being able to immigrate in the future, are very slim?  Even excluding the U.S. and considering another country?

Offline Red Gold

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2016, 08:46 »
I don't know about Canada, because I don't live there! :) Most folks here live and work in the US with an small but helpful Canadian contingent. Hopefully one of them can give you more info.

Offline Nigel

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2017, 07:01 »
I moved to Canada years ago as an Engineer. Professional qualification can be a problem depending on your status as an Engineer in the UK. Suggest you contact the Professional Engineers Association in the Province you plan on moving to & determine if you are eligible for membership and thus P. Eng status prior to moving. A P.Eng opens doors to real engineering jobs and better pay. Used to be that a Chartered Engineer in the UK had some reciprocal recognition in Canada - don't know if that still applies. Moving without your P.Eng designation makes life harder until you get it.

Big employers in nuclear are Ontario Power Generation and Bruce Power. Both utilities have good web sites with job postings. NOTE: Both utilities are currently moving into reactor refurbishment and will be looking for nuclear experienced staff NOW.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?