Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How Russia used a man and his camera to hide the terrible truth honeypot

Author Topic: How Russia used a man and his camera to hide the terrible truth  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Didn't see this one on the news feed.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/04/26/chernobyl-anniversary-how-russia-used-man-and-his-camera-to-hide-terrible-truth.html

The average evacuee from the 30km zone received a dose of 17mSv with a max of 380mSv makes me question this a bit, but he may have been talking about chemo for cancer treatments not radiation induced hair loss.

"The sight of dozens of hairless, chemo-sick boys and girls remains burned into my mind’s eye. I told their story, but until now, I did not tell Yury’s. Maybe doing so will help soften the “black spot” he once described to me."

These doses for the most part are below those seen as consequential for emergency planning by HPS. 50mSv-year or 100mSv-life

http://hps.org/documents/risk_ps010-2.pdf

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2016, 05:09 by Marlin »

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Funny, I've told my wife that my chronic joint pain that I've had in recent years is probably due to my reduction in LDR. http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2015/04/06/small-radiation/#.VyOGeTjmpaQ

Sounds familiar I haven't received any significant exposure for the last 20 years and I tell my "Bosslady" that I am still experiencing radiation withdrawls.

Chimera

And the American "press" used a "man and a camera" to hide the terrible truth of TMI (Bradley and 60 minutes).  They invented and/or repeated every childhood scare story they could think of to make the TMI accident seem ever so much worse than it really was . . . aided and abetted by the federal government minions who were wildly ducking the pieces of the sky they claimed was falling.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
And that started most of our careers... post-TMI mods, increased inspections, changes in staffing levels for emergency planning - all led to the careers that we nukeworkers (especially RP/HP) have.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
And that started most of our careers... post-TMI mods, increased inspections, changes in staffing levels for emergency planning - all led to the careers that we nukeworkers (especially RP/HP) have.

+K

I agree that there is an over reaction to what has happened but much of that has been the public perception that is formed by these over the top news articles. "If it bleeds it leads" broadcast to a disenchanted public that was fed "Nuclear Power Clean Safe and too Cheap to Meter" in the beginning. The nuclear industry has been terrible at public relations and slow to innovate to new designs basically patching over old light water reactor designs from the 60's.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?