Does not matter
7 (8%)
Neither
0 (0%)
12 to 12 (some of both)
2 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: Oct 31, 2007, 04:57

Author Topic: Day shift or Night shift  (Read 37740 times)

Offline BStella

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Day shift or Night shift
« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2006, 10:24 »
I was ALWAYS a night shifter at heart during outages, but for personal reasons have been working daze (sux, too).  I work a rotating shift during normal operations and consider dayshift to be my HELL WEEK!!!!!   :)

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2006, 02:27 »
Of course my disclaimer is that the only shift work I have ever known is the Navy.

Should we run a poll for preferences between 18 hour and 24 hour days?  :P

Spousal Unit is quite pleased that I am on Days this outage. And if Momma's not happy...
 ;D
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2006, 02:41 »
we rotate 12s here. Some guys like me would work nights forever permanently if possible, others hate it and complain to mgmt about schedules. It all boils down to personal discipline...if one doesnt eat right and moderately exercise, you won't sleep well regardless of shift rotation.

In case anyone is tempted to look for circadian studies online...it's as valid as astrology. There are studies that support long stretches of a shift, others that try to say more than 2 night shifts increases health risks. Again, its how you live your life. Plenty of 9 to 5 polyester-clad cube mice also punch out early from sedentary factors.

Offline TENN-1

• Moderate User
  • Finished the 5 year plan in only 34!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 20, 2006, 05:17 »
For me, nightshift works best. For the family, however, dayshift rules. During "innage" our station rotates on a weekly basis. Some technicians make it work and some don't ever seem happy. We used to have a supervisor that called it " the rule of thirds": 1/3 like nights, 1/3 like days, and 1/3 don't care.  ;D
Things come to those who wait, but usually it's stuff left over from those who hustle!

Offline USMCRADCON

• Light User
  • Will train for spare change
« Reply #29 on: Nov 21, 2006, 12:17 »
Prior to my current situation, I had not worked the night shift since 87.  Unfortunately, I have been on the 1800 - 0600 shift working 10 on and 4 off since May.  Life is a heck of a lot quieter on the back-shift but I would prefer to work in the "Land of the Living".

A quote from RH (fellow Night Prowler)
"If God had intended us to work night shift, he / she would have given us "Hoot-owl eyes"
"Welcome to the show, you are now officially one of Jerry's Kids"

Gonzo

« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2006, 03:40 »

A quote from RH (fellow Night Prowler)
"If God had intended us to work night shift, he / she would have given us "Hoot-owl eyes"
[/quote]

actually, some of us have hoot-owl eyes....    and a lot of other problems too

cbramsey

« Reply #31 on: Nov 29, 2006, 03:52 »
It doesn't matter to me either way.  Days or Nights both work with me.

Just don't ask me to rotate (at least too many times anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Chimera

« Reply #32 on: Nov 30, 2006, 08:48 »
As a house tech, we worked rotating shifts during non-outage periods.  That worked for the most part - except swing shift (teenagers at home).  During outages, I always opted for night shift.  As a road tech, I still prefer night shift.  The single biggest reason is that all the "coats and ties" go home at night so we don't have 12 people giving us 14 different decisions for each job.  Night shift seems to be more peaceful and we always seem to get our work done more easily than on days . . . just my humble opinion, of course.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:54 »
I always want day shift but have probably spent 35 - 40% of my career on night shift.  The one thing that has remained constant, if I am working day shift at a particular plant I will tell you that I am sure glad that I am not working nights this outage, if I am working nights I will tell you that I am sure glad that I am not working days this outage.  Never have figured out why...there is good and bad on either, in the end I am living away from my family and am happy to recieve day shift or night shift paychecks! 8)
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
  • -40F Keeps out the RiffRaff
« Reply #34 on: Feb 23, 2007, 06:55 »
I was ALWAYS a night shifter at heart during outages, but for personal reasons have been working daze (sux, too).  I work a rotating shift during normal operations and consider dayshift to be my HELL WEEK!!!!!   :)

Stella,

That's funny.  We work a 6 week rotating shift schedule.  We have one 40 hour straight days week mixed in otherwise known as, what else...... Hell Week!!

LaFeet

« Reply #35 on: Mar 26, 2007, 06:50 »
 Since I have no trouble sleeping during the day, and all you anti management people need the nights, I take days when I have to.

I think I like days better at some plants and nights at others.  Leaving IP3 (days) and hitting Pilgrim and doing nights this outage (just like last time).  Follow up at VY will most likely be days.....  I swing both ways I guess :o

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2007, 12:40 »
...slatmandu...nice pic,,,,the last AMERICAN..............Nightsh ift ALWAYZ...ALL the COOL people work nightz....and most of the work is done then also....how about it SPANKY?????...last I worked Bessie, was nightz wid you
Seems I always end up on nights. Its true what everyone says, the best management/staff are on nights. Common sense prevails.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 12:40 by Mike McFarlin »
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Evilpixie

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2007, 05:24 »
I agree with LaFeet... depends on the plant which shift is better.  Also who is on your crew... although I do have to say I tend to prefer nights, peops are more laidback in general.  Plus, it tends to be alot more fun- sometimes the seriously stern staunch stoicism of dayshift peops can be a little daunting.  It's like they got Botoxed in their smile muscles!  And there are more of the "knutt cluckers" (what was that word, Atomic Punk?)... We have this one guy that has the management speak down so well it takes a second to realize that while he's making noise, he really isn't saying anything.  He even has the gestures... right down to the "Management Hand"!  (you know, how they gesture with it to indicate they are including everyone... for that 'team' thing?)

stewdill

« Reply #38 on: Jun 01, 2007, 03:34 »
NIGHT SHIFT- can't work days. Did one job on dayshift at Catawba. I don't remember much about it. I don't think that is a good thing. Working in a daze.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?