Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New News feature
honeypot

Author Topic: New News feature  (Read 16017 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
New News feature
« on: Apr 27, 2016, 11:14 »
I added a new Nuclear News feature.  Instead of making Marlin and ksheed12 post stubs about news articles every day, I have finally gotten my "News Bot" working.  So now the news bot goes and gets the nuclear news, and posts it in our forum.  Then you can comment on the news, and review the history.

The bad news is that it blew out the regular posts on the home page when I ran the script a few times to back fill some on the news feeds.  Feel free to bump posts that were being discussed.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: New News feature
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2016, 11:25 »
I like it but almost all that I post are articles that do not show up in the News Feed so you will probably still see a few depending on how good your bot is.

O:)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2016, 11:26 »
The new system may need some tweaking over the next few days, so feel free to give me feedback.  DO you like the new way? prefer the old way.

Who moved my cheese?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2016, 11:29 »
I like it but almost all that I post are articles that do not show up in the News Feed so you will probably still see a few depending on how good your bot is.
 O:)

I planned for that, and segregated the news bot to OTHER news boards, so that they don't dirty up your news board.  I also kept YOUR news board in the normal forum 'what new' feed.  And I placed the NEW bot feeds below that, where the old news links were.

If you tell me where you troll for news, I can see if I can add a bot for that as well.

(Part of me is even thinking about doing something like that for our job board, to put stubs in the forum, so people can talk about the jobs.... something tells me that might be a bad idea tho... ;)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2016, 11:30 »
Also, I added ksheed12 and you as moderators to the regular news forum.  I'm thinking of making him moderator of all of the new news feed sections as well (if he wants it)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2016, 11:35 »
I like being able to comment on a news item without moving up to the Forum, that's a good change. Real Clear is where many of them come from usually in the Energy and Science sections but occasionally in Politics, Defense, or Tech.

A little Merlot or Malbec with that cheese please.

;)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2016, 11:35 »
Also, I added ksheed12 and you as moderators to the regular news forum.  I'm thinking of making him moderator of all of the new news feed sections as well (if he wants it)

Hopefully he wants the headache.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2016, 11:38 »
Off subject: Marlin, do you like the rounded corners on your avatar?  I found a modification that does that to all of them.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2016, 11:39 »
And I altered the quick-reply, to put in in line with the other posts, and adds your avatar before the form, so it looks REAL inviting to reply.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2016, 07:06 »
I see the DOE item has been reposted several times now....

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2016, 11:08 »
Off subject: Marlin, do you like the rounded corners on your avatar?  I found a modification that does that to all of them.

Hadn't noticed until you mentioned it but yes it looks good.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2016, 11:51 »
Personally, not liking the short list of Discussion in favor of News. Makes it more difficult to keep up with current discussions.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2016, 12:26 »
Mike maybe an unread button in the Discussion area would help. The see more on the bottom is OK but a readily handy unread button on the discussion header I think would be better.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2016, 12:46 »
eye just tried the [see more] forum messages at the bottom of the discussions area. it gave me a hole bunch of news articles.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2016, 03:16 »
After using he new News section it does seem a little onerous and would be difficult to follow a discussion.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 28, 2016, 03:29 »
Mke is it possible to keep the news feed seperate and only transfer those artilcles that are commented on to Discussion?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 28, 2016, 08:39 »
The more I use it the less I like it.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Apr 29, 2016, 10:24 »
If there are any aspects that you like, let me know, and I'll see if we can dream up something that works.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Apr 29, 2016, 11:17 »
Personally, not liking the short list of Discussion in favor of News. Makes it more difficult to keep up with current discussions.

The short list of discussion items is because there are no new items to display.  It's not because we are choosing to not show more.  It's currently set to show 20.  (Thank you for the feedback)
I shortened up the list of news items, it was only long for testing, to see what was going on. (Thank you for the feedback)
I've disabled the feeds that were duplicating posts, and added them back to the home page, the old fashioned way.

Let's let it run another few days and see how it goes.  We'll make tweaks, and see if any of it is worth keeping.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #19 on: Apr 29, 2016, 11:50 »
If there are any aspects that you like, let me know, and I'll see if we can dream up something that works.

It is difficult to follow any ongoing discussion of those articles people chose to comment on. Having any commented on moved to discussion would help with that.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2016, 11:54 »
Hopefully he wants the headache.
It's an honor just being nominated. ;D

I love the fact that there is a section for NRC Event Notifications. Those are a pain to go look at on your own.

It is difficult to follow any ongoing discussion of those articles people chose to comment on. Having any commented on moved to discussion would help with that.
That is an excellent suggestion.

Mine appears to have disappeared?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Apr 29, 2016, 03:43 »
My avatar appears to have disappeared?

It's a weird bug with Internet Explorer & Edge since the server move & software upgrade.  If you re-upload it, it will show up.
They show up in firefox just fine currently.

It is the same as a discussion in the rest of the forum, the posts with recent comments are at the top.  I didn't put then in the general "nuclear news" section on purpose, so that you CAN have your regular discussions there, and that you moderators CAN move the topics people are talking about to there.  It's not possible to automate that part, but we have a new NEWS moderator that can help you!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Apr 29, 2016, 03:50 »
Give the different news feeds a day or two, and evaluate them, and see which we should keep, and which we should toss.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Apr 29, 2016, 06:28 »
I'm trying to figure out a nice mobile page.  Did you take a look at it.  Of course, its a work in progress, and has a lot wrong with it.

https://www.nukeworker.com/index2.php

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #24 on: Apr 29, 2016, 07:51 »
Perhaps I'm not spending my time fixing the right stuff... but I just made a 404 error page for the new site:

https://www.nukeworker.com/somepagethatdoesntexhist

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?