Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Server Migration

Author Topic: Server Migration  (Read 12837 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Server Migration
« on: Sep 08, 2015, 07:27 »
Over the next week (or potentially longer) I will be migrating the website to a new server.  If you see weird stuff, like everything rolled back a day, dont worry too much.

I'm moving to a newer, faster, larger server... that costs less.

The transition will be painful (for me). Hopefully, you won't notice anything.
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2015, 07:28 by Rennhack »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Server Migration
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2015, 09:04 »
Over the next week (or potentially longer) I will be migrating the website to a new server.  If you see weird stuff, like everything rolled back a day, dont worry too much.

I'm moving to a newer, faster, larger server... that costs less.

The transition will be painful (for me). Hopefully, you won't notice anything.

ahhhhhhh,....the never ending saga of Mike Rennhack's "Nukeworker.com" server,...

let's reminisce:

NukeWorker was founded on April 19th, 1999……………….

In 2002, the server bills for NukeWorker.com had increased by more than tenfold, and had become a financial burden for Michael who was offering all of the sites services for free.  So NukeWorker was established as a corporation, and started accepting fees for advertising, outage schedules and job postings. …………………

You may have noticed that NukeWorker has had a few service interruptions this week.  Our database server is not behaving properly.  When I contacted the people we rent a dedicated server from to resolve the situation, there service was very poor.  Basically, they told me that they wouldd get to me when they could.  The site has been inaccessible for 24 out of the last 72 hours.  I am at the point where I am screaming at them (as if that would help).

Every problem has a solution.  The solution we have found will cost us 5 times what we are currently paying for a dedicated server (and a cheap dedicated server is expensive).  We have found a new dedicated server provider that is selling "fanatical service".  So, we should eventually resolve all issues.

Moving to a new server is no easy task, even for a small site.  NukeWorker is not a small site.  The transition will be VERY difficult.  But in the end, we will have a more reliable product.

We have all come to rely on NukeWorker being here for us 24/7, like a trusty security blanket.  For some it is an anchor, in a crazy sea of traveling.  For others, it is a trusty connection to our friends, family and co-workers.  And some people just like to see how quickly they can spin others up in the Gold Members areas (Dave Warren).  NukeWorker is a constant source of news, gossip, and of course JOBS.

I will pay any cost necessary to maintain that reliability.

If you experience any outages or just ‘odd’ stuff in the next week or two, know that we are working on a solution.  When we move the data and files to the new server, we have to go in and edit every application that runs on NukeWorker, and adapt them to their new environment.  That will take several days.  Once that is finished, we have to point the domain name to the new server.  – That’s the point where it gets tricky.  – Some domain name servers will still point to the old server for a few days until every domain name server in the world points to the new server.  We will have to ‘turn off’ the old site, so people don’t post data on it.  I’ll try to time it so the PLANNED server outage will only be 2 days, and over a weekend.  But things don’t always go as planned.

Remember that software upgrade I keep talking about... and even trying to implement and failing... then having to restore a backup...

Well, it's GOING to happen. -- Eventually.

I have hired some temporary help to get our site’s Frankenstein monster of mish-mash software code straightened out.

ETA is about a week from now. Maybe two weeks.

What we are updating:

* Banner Ad server (security updates, you'll notice nothing.)
* Photo Gallery Software (mostly security updates, uploading and editing pictures might be better too.)
* Message Board (This is the main update we are focusing on.  The current version is 1.1, the new version is 2.0 and has been in development for 5 long years.) ……………………..

………..Well, you get the idea.  -- So if you see wonky things happening... Don't Panic.

This is what is rolling around in the back of my head:

...............  I also need to tell the server to compress more stuff. I have a lot to do.  It will probably very slow and gradual, as I'm working 2 jobs at the moment.  But it will happen!
Just curious, can you be  [OT] in a thread named "An Evil Presence"?

Is there a 50 yard line in tennis? [whistle]

Will the contentious bickering ever end?  [pigfly]

Will Marssim break the server?  [clap]

How long until Godwins law is applied?  [hitler]

Time for a  [GH] !!!

well, it's been a good run since the last time NW.com flashed, crashed & burned,....

but, it always comes back:

good luck, work hard, watch your backdoors and your rootkits,...

peace,.... :P ;) :) 8)

(04-23-16 - fixed the broken you tube link)
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2016, 05:27 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2015, 05:54 »
So, the 5x more expensive server from 2007... I asked them to fix a crashed email server, and their response was to offer to more than double our bill.  I am actually going back to the company we used to use.  I hope we have better luck this time.  10x for what I hope is the same service is just crazy.  The 'new' server will be a much faster server, so hopefully, it helps the sites performance as well.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2015, 03:24 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2016, 08:56 »
So, the 5x more expensive server from 2007... I asked them to fix a crashed email server, and their response was to offer to more than double our bill.  I am actually going back to the company we used to use.  I hope we have better luck this time.  10x for what I hope is the same service is just crazy.  The 'new' server will be a much faster server, so hopefully, it helps the sites performance as well.

Ok, so that never happened.  I stayed with the current provider because the new provider didn't give me a warm fuzzy.  So I am relenting and upgrading to the 2x more expensive server, with the current provider.  I'm also paying a service to move the site from one server to the next.

I have signed the contracts, so the move should be happening within the next 2 weeks (sounds familiar).

Also, those software upgrades mentioned above from 2010... That never happened either.  I have tried to upgrade some of the software, but the server is too old to run the updates. :(

Anyways... this IS happening this time, come hell or high water.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2016, 04:28 »
I just made a local backup of the file (excluding the database, which is most the REAL data).  The website is 73,400 files, 4.8 GB.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2016, 10:10 »
The 2nd (new) server has been 'turned on', now comes the delightful process of moving everything over there.  That step could take up to two weeks.

Shared features:

Managed:     Managed
Managed Backup Retention:     2 weeks retention - Onsite
Antivirus:     Sophos
Monitoring:     Rackspace Monitoring
Data Center:     Dallas/Fort Worth TX  (DFW1)

Old Hardware:

Whitebox Server:     Single Socket Dual Core AMD Opteron 1212, #Processors: 1, #Cores per Proc: 2
Memory:     2GB DDR RAM
Hard Drive:     500GB SATA, HDD RPM: 7200
Ethernet:     100Mb Primary Ethernet Card
Included Bandwidth:     GB Bandwidth: 1000
OS:     Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4 - 32 bit, OVF Name: rhel4Guest
IP Allocation:     2 IPs, # IPs: 2
backup_type:     Weekly Full + Daily Differential

New Hardware:

Config Type:     Single Processor Dedicated Server (Haswell)
HP Servers:     Single Socket Hex Core Intel Xeon E5-2620v3 2.4GHz, #Processors: 1, #Cores per Proc: 6
HP Memory:     32 GB HP RAM
RAID Configuration:     RAID 1
Hard Drive:     HP 300GB 12G SAS 15K SCC HDD
Ethernet:     1000Mb Port
Included Bandwidth:     GB Bandwidth: 2000
Linux OS:     Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
IP_address_quantity:     Number of IPs, # IPs: 1
backup_type:     Weekly Full + Daily Incremental

Moving from 2 old cores to 6 new cores, 2 GB ram to 32GB ram, 100MB nic to 1,000 MB nic, and from a single 7200 RPM HD to dual 15,000 RPM raid array. (and from old OS to much newer OS).

The hardware is WAY better, and so is the software. The website theoretically should be faster and more responsive when we are finished.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2016, 10:30 »
The 2nd (new) server has been 'turned on', now comes the delightful process of moving everything over there.  That step could take up to two weeks.

Shared features:

Managed:     Managed
Managed Backup Retention:     2 weeks retention - Onsite
Antivirus:     Sophos
Monitoring:     Rackspace Monitoring
Data Center:     Dallas/Fort Worth TX  (DFW1)

Old Hardware:

Whitebox Server:     Single Socket Dual Core AMD Opteron 1212, #Processors: 1, #Cores per Proc: 2
Memory:     2GB DDR RAM
Hard Drive:     500GB SATA, HDD RPM: 7200
Ethernet:     100Mb Primary Ethernet Card
Included Bandwidth:     GB Bandwidth: 1000
OS:     Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 4 - 32 bit, OVF Name: rhel4Guest
IP Allocation:     2 IPs, # IPs: 2
backup_type:     Weekly Full + Daily Differential

New Hardware:

Config Type:     Single Processor Dedicated Server (Haswell)
HP Servers:     Single Socket Hex Core Intel Xeon E5-2620v3 2.4GHz, #Processors: 1, #Cores per Proc: 6
HP Memory:     32 GB HP RAM
RAID Configuration:     RAID 1
Ethernet:     1000Mb Port
Included Bandwidth:     GB Bandwidth: 2000
Linux OS:     Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
IP_address_quantity:     Number of IPs, # IPs: 1
backup_type:     Weekly Full + Daily Incremental

Moving from 2 old cores to 6 new cores, 2 GB ram to 32GB ram, 100MB nic to 1,000 MB nic, and from a single 7200 RPM HD to dual 15,000 RPM raid array. (and from old OS to much newer OS).

The hardware is WAY better, and so is the software. The website theoretically should be faster and more responsive when we are finished.

It's bigger it's badder

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2016, 07:47 »

Chimera

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2016, 07:13 »
Dang!  You need more room already.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2016, 01:21 »
Dang!  You need more room already.

I don't understand?

Chimera

« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2016, 10:55 »

I don't understand?

Did I really need the sarcasm tag?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2016, 04:40 »
Just a reminder, if WEIRD stuff is happening for a short period of time, it's due to our server migration.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2016, 10:55 »
Don't try between 5 & 6 (EDT) as good as the new server is, unless you and the site are very fast expect delays!

[SadPanda] :old: [beer] zzz
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Chimera

« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2016, 06:57 »
Just a reminder, if WEIRD stuff is happening for a short period of time, it's due to our server migration.

So . . . UFOs, sunspots and my neighbor lady asking me out are all the fault of your new server?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2016, 09:15 »
So . . . UFOs, sunspots and my neighbor lady asking me out are all the fault of your new server?

I blame everything on Mike's server,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?