Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What is an ELT?

Author Topic: What is an ELT?  (Read 141391 times)

JustinHEMI05

Re: What is an ELT?
« Reply #75 on: Sep 07, 2007, 07:25 »
Having served as an ELT many moons ago, I was curious as to just what were the lies that your superior vision afforded you the ability to see through, and could you somehow enlighten us mortals as to what were some of the basic components that entailed the "everything" that you busted the ELTs on. As an obviously Khan-like being as illustrated by how "good"  you lay claim to being in both the mechanical and chem/rad con realms as well as being a cool writer for the fleet, and by no means last nor least the finest EOOW in the many EFPH burned at the MARF facility, one quick question seems to shine as bright as the sun setting off the coast of Naples-did your anyway suffer any damage when the ELT was shoved upon it ?  BOHICA. USS NIMITZ CVN-68 1980-1984  MM2/ELT.

Did you miss the smiley face?

In case you didn't but ignored the jest that the post was written in any way... lets start with; (ELT to ME)

"Phosphates went down more than normal because of a phosphate leak to the primary."

"Hydrogen went down and gases went up because the hydrogen is at equilibrium."

"pH in condensate went down because of CO2 absorption."

"Yes I surveyed that." ME... "But on my tour, I didn't see that poly bottle there." ELT... "Ah, oh ummm..." ME... "So is the poly bottle there or not?" ELT... "They might have moved it I will go check." ME... "right."

"Its within the accuracy of the analysis."

I could go on and on if you would like, but I have other things to do tonight.

As for my claims, I didn't claim anything. They were statements of fact. How good I was as a navy nuke operator is well documented in ORSE reports, awards, letters, student end of course critiques, and yellow stickies of appreciation. There are even people here that would attest to it. You added the assertion that I was the finest EOOW at MARF, and you are absolutely correct. I am not sure how the place operates without me. :)

Did you see that smiley face?

If not, I don't give a crap. I don't owe you any explanations or proof of anything.

If you did see it, then lighten up and relax, you will be happier at the end of the day.

Peace.

Justin

« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2007, 07:44 by JustinHEMI05 »

mlslstephens

« Reply #76 on: Sep 08, 2007, 08:20 »
... then lighten up and relax, you will be happier at the end of the day.

Peace.

Justin

Lighten up???  Your signature is a word for word dialogue of a PMC to you and here is another word for word dialogue about another "day in the navy".  After searching most of your posts, it seems as though you need to let go of some of your navy hatred, or maybe just hatred, and you too will experience happiness and peace.   :)

I put a smiley face so that makes it all better.

Peace.

Fermi2

« Reply #77 on: Sep 08, 2007, 10:02 »
Ok I was a Mechanic, then an ELT and have probably forgotten more about Nuclear Power than young Justin there will ever know.

So given I've seen both sides of the equation here's a few items I had to correct from senior mechanics aka blue shirt types..

1: Mike that I adjusted the packing and the leak didn't stop. Careful inspection showed it was a body to bonnet leak. Wait NOT so careful as I could see that from almost 20 feet away.

2: Why yes I took an accurate set of readings Mike. Even as I reviewed the watch sheets and noticed 1000# Discharge pressure logged for 3 straight hours on a Pump that had been shutdown for 4 hours.

3: Slip in a Positive Displacement Pump is due to to the Pistons not moving as fast at High Discharge Pressures.

4: Me to  another EOOW qualified Mechanic: What will happen if you open that Steam Generator valve at power if there is no cooling water lined up to the sample cooler? What do you mean Mike? Well what phase will the sample be? Mike what do you mean by phase?

5: Part two of the conversation above? Well will it be water or steam or what?
Well Mike water of course.
Why?
Well Mike I'm surprised you don't know this but we ARE we take water samples on the steam generators, not steam.
At this point Mike raised his hands and walked away. This by the way was from an MM1 who always did well on the exams.

I think my point is made. There are very good ELTs, there are very good Mechanics. If you're wired to lie or make stuff up you will do so regardless of rating. I can tell you there's nothing more dangerous than an Operations Instructor who has never Operated a commercial plant. That's 100% true.

Mike

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #78 on: Sep 08, 2007, 12:20 »
Broad and NAVLI4 i'd give you karma if I could.  Justine, you all right man maybe a little young.  I like the smiley face comment the best NAV, sort of like naming the patriot act the patriot act.  Not that i am for or against everything the patriot act has inside of it.  But why put a spin on something, just say what you mean in the meat of it, not the condiments?

I was down in ERF on the fast attack talking to a buddy about what appeared to be a SMALL good deal we might get in spite of a bunch of bad stuff that our command was laying on us....my LELT was listening (who was cool as $hit in almost all blueshirt eyes (Woodman)).  He said "James, those guys gave you a $hit sandwich earlier and now they are just putting a little bit of condiments on it so you will eat it up with a smile on your face, even though you know it's $hit the whole time."  He was right, that command really seemed to take pleasure in that sort of thing.  Our engineer even admitted it (that he liked to see [blueshirts] us in pain). 

The Navy can be good at times, but while I was in it I mostly hated it.  I think what really made me decide to get out was that "they" always had that power to screw you, and even when things were good (which was unusual for my 7.4years), you knew that things would get worse soon, and if they got so bad that most sane people would move on, there was nothing you could do about it.  And if it would have been bad because it just had to be that would have been allright, but so many times I felt it was bad when it could have been good if our command would have just opened eyes.  Wish I could have experienced Nav life the way NAV obviously did, but never got to.

mlslstephens

« Reply #79 on: Sep 08, 2007, 01:44 »
The Navy can be good at times, but while I was in it I mostly hated it.  ... Wish I could have experienced Nav life the way NAV obviously did, but never got to.

Samich, I like your point.  Like any job/career, there are good times and bad.  Fortunately for me, I've learned to forget and move past all the bad times I've had in the Navy.  I try to live my life focusing on the good times and good friends I've managed to spend my 21 years with.

Broad you are right on track with your post.  The rating badge has nothing to do with BS.

For anyone that knows me, they can testify that yes, the Navy has been good to me and my family.  However, it isn't the best choice for everyone.  By very best friend and shipmate who served with me on the Tennessee in the late 80s decided to leave the Navy and go to work in the industry.  It was the right move for him.  I decided to stay in.  That was the right choice for me.  Everyone has their own story to tell and most stories are enjoyable.  It's the guy who can never find the silver lining in the proverbial dark cloud that after a while isn't that fun to be around. 

Justin, here is my point...not that you care, but that is the beauty of the forum format.  Your signature details the story about a PMC "busting" on you and then you tell a story of your infamous watchstanding where you "bust" on some "much less intelligent ELT".  Maybe it's time to forgive that bad old PMC and who knows, maybe those dumb old ELTs will forgive you.  :)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #80 on: Sep 08, 2007, 03:05 »
Lighten up???  Your signature is a word for word dialogue of a PMC to you and here is another word for word dialogue about another "day in the navy".  After searching most of your posts, it seems as though you need to let go of some of your navy hatred, or maybe just hatred, and you too will experience happiness and peace.   :)

I put a smiley face so that makes it all better.

Peace.

You're right and the further I get away I am getting happier :) I will tone down the navy hatred... I am starting to annoy myself with it.

Justin
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2007, 03:16 by JustinHEMI05 »

landlubber

« Reply #81 on: Sep 08, 2007, 06:14 »
I would like to step in to say that Justin was a good student (back in the day) and a good nuke at MARF. I know Mike has mentioned in past posts that EOOW in the Navy is not worth much, and he may be right, but just being selected to qualify EOOW at MARF as a PO1 in the early 2000's means that you had to have a good attitude, good work ethic, and be smarter than the average bear. You also had to be a little bit of a kiss @##, or I wouldn't sign your chit! ;)
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2007, 10:40 by landlubber »

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #82 on: Sep 08, 2007, 08:55 »
Broad and NAVLI4 i'd give you karma if I could..
For less than two hours' pay you could, for an entire year!  ;)
Justin, you all right man maybe a little young.
He's a whole 8.5% younger than you, Grampa...  8)

Getting back on topic (more or less), there are perhaps 5 chemistry technicians at my plant that weren't ELTs...
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #83 on: Sep 08, 2007, 09:05 »
I am not a moderator

Thanx for the help, good job. Hamsamich is right the Gold membership is very reasonable.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #84 on: Sep 09, 2007, 10:50 »
true, true, 8.5%.  I guess I mean time out of the navy, which I have much more of.  after some time out of the Navy, attitude changes.

but what I am saying Nav4, is the Navy ISN'T just like any other job, because you are stuck there, that is a very important fact to distinguish.

mlslstephens

« Reply #85 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:44 »

but what I am saying Nav4, is the Navy ISN'T just like any other job, because you are stuck there, that is a very important fact to distinguish.

You know hamsamich, you are exactly right.  I, however, would have used a different word than "stuck", but either way you're right.  Several of us Navy guys are going through the transition right now and we are beginning the interview process.  Several plants have asked the question, "What are your plans after you get your license?"  At first, I didn't understand that line of questioning, what do you mean...what are my plans?  But now it is starting to sink in, after you leave the Navy, you actualy have a choice where you go.  Hmmm, interesting, a choice.  :)

Oh, back on the topic of the post...What is an ELT??? Anything he/she wants to be. ;)
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007, 04:47 by NaVLI4 »

wms291

« Reply #86 on: Sep 29, 2007, 05:05 »
I was an ELT for the 91 DMP in Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in New Hampshire on my Fast Attack (714)....the Radcon guys were cool at the shipyard, plus some of the girls were nice...It was hell working there, but the shipyard RCTs made it better.  But talk about culture shock, we tag everything with tracking tags and log it in a book, they just tag SOME things and then forged aboud it, sorta like working in commercial.  Took me a while to get used to it, but it is so much easier...

Ha. I was an ELT for the 91 DMP in Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, VA. on my Fast Attack (709).  The 714 was the Menopause?  I was told we were supposed to go the N.H. and you guys were to stay in Norfolk.  Back on topic.  I currently work at a commercial plant and ELT got me the job in Chemistry.  We have an other ELT in the department newly hired after 6 years in.  I enjoyed my time as a Sub ELT.  Underway ELT set my own hours.  Got in line to eat first and helped with the meal so I could shoot the s**t with everyone.  Worked out when I wanted so as not to screw others.  Watched many movies.  Also allowed me to go to shore duty at the Nautilus which bought me Radcon Maintenance School.  Overall no regrets.
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2007, 05:06 by wms291 »

LaFeet

« Reply #87 on: Oct 01, 2007, 10:24 »
""Being an ELT doesn't give you more career options because it does not.""

what does this mean, and, ??? of course you have more career options as an ELT, it opens up opportunity to be an HP, dosimetry, chem tech, work in waste water treatment plants and a bunch of other stuff. and if you want to you can still do the mechanic stuff.  Case in point: I was asked to interview for a job as a nuclear mechanic based on me being a mechanic, even though I wasn't heavy as a mechanic.  I didn't want to be a mechanic, so i didn't bother, but I was recruited.   Maybe they wouldn't of hired me, but I was qualified for the interview by resume only.

It means that anyone can become a HP.....I was not an ELT and I managed to get into this circus.....was even lined up for Sr RCT prior to retiring.  I  no longer saught the tiresome duty of sitting in front of the panel....or roving the spaces.  I have interviewed for numerous "chemistry positions" as well as many others not mentioned.  I have made my choices  based on family needs and that is that.

Either way... I have worked with a number of GREAT ELTs (all the Narwhal guys were superior) Excellent Mau Maus and Super Tricians.   I also have the pleasure and fortune to work with a number of outstanding HPs like yourself  Sparky

Offline Joe Mama

• Very Lite User
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2012, 04:51 »
ex-ELT here....

Back in the day....

Boot Camp in Orlando Florida....1980
A-School in Great Lakes Illinois....1980
Nuclear Power School in Orlando Florida 1981....Section Leader 12 in Class 8105....The Rocks started in Section 1 ending up with the Braniacs in Section 13.
MM Training at S8G Prototype in Balston Spa New York....PARTY CITY!....once you ignore the cold winter....
ELT Training at S8G Prototype in Balston Spay New York....Summer of 1982....More Partying....
New Construction USS Florida SSBN 728 Blue Crew....took boat to Bangor Washington....
Transferred to USS Ohio SSBN 726....The Prima Donna A-hole factor registered an 11 on a scale of 5....
Started the Commerical Sr Rad Tech at Indian Point II in 1986....
Finished up in 1994 at Maine Yankee....
Currently working as a Software Developer for the last 12 years....

Fermi2

« Reply #89 on: Jun 01, 2012, 10:40 »
ELT, Hot Models want to be with them and men want to be them.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #90 on: Jun 01, 2012, 11:32 »

... they also have large ego's and like to sleep.......  ;)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #91 on: Jun 01, 2012, 11:48 »

Look for the really cool looking dude who is surrounded by all the really hot women. That guy will be the ELT....

" Don't know, what's the spec and what do you want it to be?"

It's an easy extrapolation,...

Hot woman: "What kind of night are we having tonight?"

ELT: "Don't know, what kind of night do you want it to be?"

Hot Woman: "How am I supposed to know?"

ELT: "Tell me what you want, and I'll give you what you need."

Of course, it helps if you were listening to radio in 1974, and applied leisure time observations to the innate skills the USN ELT specialty helped you develop,...

c'mon Troja, I know you know the angle here,.... ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2012, 12:28 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #92 on: Jun 01, 2012, 11:53 »
Of course, it helps if you were listening to radio in 1974, and applied leisure time observations to the innate skills the USN ELT specialty helped you develop,...

Such as being able to "know" what S?G chemistry looked like from Nucleonics.

I think they called that "radio-chemistry"   :P

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #93 on: Jun 01, 2012, 12:07 »
Such as being able to "know" what S?G chemistry looked like from Nucleonics.

I think they called that "radio-chemistry"   :P

funny man, I never had that issue,..

on 637's and 616's the AMR2LL was the place where nub ELT's stood watch, good ELT's stood battlestations, and S/G chemistry was analyzed,...

whenever the occasional proficiency watch by an M-Div Basic was being stood the underway ELT just jumped down and handled the two to three samples expected on any given watch,...

it was a good way to catch up on how things were going with your M-Div brother as proficiency watches were typically stood during SpecOp, transit or on-station periods and the six hour watch was going to be pretty quiet for all the engineering spaces,...

Although one fella coming back off West Pac somehow managed to slip through the cracks and was forced to stand his AMR2LL proficiency on maneuvering watch coming back into PH,...

The SPM is not a difficult piece of machinery to manipulate, if you can remember what SPM is an acronym for and where it is,...heheheheheheh,...

:P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #94 on: Jun 01, 2012, 12:15 »
I was told that getting an SRO license would get me hot chicks. While it is an ice breaker, they always say "Yeah, that's nice, but were you an ELT?"

So, there's that.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #95 on: Jun 01, 2012, 12:23 »
I was told that getting an SRO license would get me hot chicks. While it is an ice breaker, they always say "Yeah, that's nice, but were you an ELT?"

So, there's that.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL [clap] [clap] [clap] I hope the rest of your day is cool beans. (RFS)

Fermi2

« Reply #96 on: Jun 01, 2012, 05:18 »

So, there's that.

Yep, have you ever had women just come up and ask you to say the ELT NEC in a deep voice? Happens to me all the time.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #97 on: Jun 01, 2012, 05:21 »

Yep, have you ever had women just come up and ask you to say the ELT NEC in a deep voice? Happens to me all the time.

How deep was "her" voice? Pre- or post-op?   :P

Fermi2

« Reply #98 on: Jun 01, 2012, 05:25 »
Hey Mr. I'm certain Bar Rafaeli and Kate Upton did NOT have an operation!

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #99 on: Jun 01, 2012, 08:25 »
Hey Mr. I'm certain Bar Rafaeli and Kate Upton did NOT have an operation!

This just reinforces my they like to sleep comment..... Mike is dreaming again....

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?