Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NukeWorker Calculator honeypot

Poll

Did you like the Calculator?

I never downloaded it, I'm not sure why I'm voting
13 (59.1%)
I liked it, and look forward to other programs.
7 (31.8%)
I think it is good, but needs some work.
1 (4.5%)
I hated it, it was buggy
0 (0%)
I'm a moderate..I't ok, I guess.
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: NukeWorker Calculator  (Read 23150 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
NukeWorker Calculator
« on: Feb 08, 2003, 10:33 »
Ray McGinnis has made a handy "NukeWorker Calculator".  It's about 3 MB, and it's an EXE file.  Click on the link below to install it (just chose 'run' when it asks to run or save file.  After you have played with it, please post your comments here.  We would like to know how to improve it, and any additions you think might be useful.  This is beta software, so it will no doubt receive updates in the next few weeks as you make suggestions.  However, I have tested it, and it works great.  The program is free to a good home.  Must feed and walk it on a regular basis.
http://www.nukeworker.com/study/hp/NukeWorker_Calculator_v1.exe

New Link: http://www.radprocalculator.com/
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2010, 12:54 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: NukeWorker Calculator
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2003, 03:52 »
Looking to the future, will there be a Palm OS version ?

I asked Ray about that... actually I asked him about a Pocket PC version... he said that it wasn't comming any time soon.  That the two languages are suffeciently different that he didn't have the time to do it today.  He did however tell me that he is learning the new visual basic .net platform, and plans to do other 'more impressive' things for nukeworker in the future.

I told Ray that I was impressed with the Calculator, and I'm sure it will come in handy.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2010, 12:50 by Rennhack »

Offline Duke Nuker

• Retired Radiation Protection and Emergency Preparedness
  • Moderate User
  • Currently Fly Fishing
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2003, 05:23 »
This software won't load on any of my 5 computers from 95 up to Win XP.  I keep getting the update the system files message. Any ideas, is there something fundamental that I am missing?
Is it time for coffee yet?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2003, 05:53 »
'k,...i got the download, but now i'm in duke nuker's coerner....wotinell?
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

raymcginnis

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2003, 08:27 »
Hi, I got the message today about everybody's woes.  There is something going on with the compiler and package deployment, since I upgraded to Windows XP.  I have seen this in the past and know what the solution is now, I'm pretty sure.  I should have a workable download by tomorrow night.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  I have an inside friend, at Microsoft, that I will present this problem to, but I don't expect a service pack, in my name.  In the meantime, be patient.  With's Mike's input, the program is pretty neat.  As Mike stated previously, I don't have the solution to the palm pilot at my fingertips, in my current programming language, but one day I should be able to get this into a palm pilot.  Again, patience.

Ray McGinnis

raymcginnis

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2003, 08:32 »
PS,

Anyone feel free contact me directly at:

ray.mcginnis@dslextreme.com

Ray

DainJer

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2003, 02:01 »
hmmm strange it loaded on XP professional and win98...and win ME for me. i wonder what files i have that they need?

raymcginnis

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2003, 04:35 »
It turns out the bug was in a calendar control I had just added.  The control comes with MS Access.  An associated file was telling the installer to register the control in the wrong place and the program would not install.  I fixed it.  Everyone just has to wait for Mike to have time to replace the download with the new version.  I don't know why it installed for you DainJer.  It may be whether or not you have Access on your system and if you do, which version.  Looking at the bug description from MS, no one should have been able to install it, except me.  I'm glad someone got to try it early though.

DainJer

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2003, 10:04 »
mike sent me the calculator about 2 or 3 weeks ago...maybe this was before you installed some new things in it?
a pre -version.

raymcginnis

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2003, 10:44 »
Yes Dainjer, I've made quite a few changes, with's Mike's input.  While I had my mind on the upgrade track, I made some changes that I've had in mind for a while, concerning making the decay tab more user friendly.  If you have no calendar control on your version, in the decay calculator tab, then you would not have the installation bug problem.  Send me an email at calculator@NukeWorker.com, and I'll reply with the new version, that has all of the new features, and has no installation bug, or point you where to get it, or you can wait for the new version to be posted here.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2003, 04:29 »
I put the newest version online last night, if your version dosent have a little picture of a calculator in the decay tab, please go download the newest version.  (Don't forget to uninstall the old version first!)

Melrose

« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2003, 05:41 »
???
Is the download the same URL on your first posting?
It still will not load on my PC.

Offline Walt Harris

• Retired - Health Physics / Industrial Hygiene
  • Moderate User
  • I intend to live forever! So far so good!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2003, 01:11 »
Good job Ray! Runs like a charm!!
Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2003, 05:17 »
???
Is the download the same URL on your first posting?
It still will not load on my PC.

Yes, same URL.

raymcginnis

« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2003, 11:03 »
Melrose, et al,

Early on, Mike had a problem installing the calculator, that everyone should know about.  If the folder you download it to, and double click on the file already has a file named setup.exe, the extraction program will not overwrite that file, and will use it to execute the install.  The old setup.exe points to a different program, and will attempt to install it again, instead of NukeWorker calculator.  I was looking at MARSSIM programs today for a project I am working on and ran into the same problem.  I would have been very puzzled had Mike not figured that problem with the calculator install.  Some programs come in a zip file and you have to unzip them and then double click on setup.exe.  Self extracting programs, like the calculator save you that trouble, but they extract into the same folder the exe file is in.  Make sure there are no files named setup.exe in the folder you execute the install for NukeWorker calculator.  If there are, either delete the one that is there, or move the calculator install file to a different.  If anyone has any problems, email me and describe the problem in detail.  Give your O/S, error messages, etc.

Ray McGinnis
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2010, 12:55 by Rennhack »

raymcginnis

Change in NukeWorker Calculator Download Procedure
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2004, 01:58 »
To make it easier on folks who already have the .NET framework, I changed the install procedure.

Now, the first download is 3.5 MEGs.  InstallShield starts.  It checks to see if you have the .NET framework on your computer.  If you do the install finishes in seconds.  If you don't, it goes back to my website and gets you the painful 24 MEG download and then install the framework before installing the program (you have to have it, sorry).

I wrote this program for myself, originally.  It is very useful.  If you have not tried it, try it (it is widely used now)!  If you use it, take the time to uninstall the old version and download this version.  The new version has many improvements.

It can be obtained, for the moment at: http://www.raymcginnis.net/software

Click on the "new" .NET version button (bottom button).

raymcginnis

New NukeWorker Calculator On-Line
« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2004, 06:48 »
 ;D

I need some beta testers for some new software that I am toying with.  A lot of you have the desktop version of the Nukeworker calculator.  Being an ex rent-a tech myself, I also know that you may not have admin priveleges to install the software at a particular site, but you may have internet priveleges.

I have the basic conversions working on line.  Try it out and get back to me if there are any bugs that you find.  All comments are welcome.

Follow this link:  Click here to get the calculator.
I appreciate any input that may follow this posting.
« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2004, 11:09 by Rennhack »

raymcginnis

NukeWorker Calculator Worldwide
« Reply #17 on: Jul 04, 2004, 09:49 »
I am close to completing the NukeWorker On-Line Calculator.  I know of a few current bugs that are being addressed.  This is going to be something great for all of us, once I get it perfect.  You can use it from a customer's computer anywhere in the world.  No .NET download time is required.  All you need is a computer with browser software.

Anyone willing to help me with the final stages of debugging, your help will be appreciated.  I am doing this for of all for for free, so this is a journey of love.  I need a few more eyes and fingers for testing.  I am almost there, so now is the time to join in and criticize for the benefit of rest of the nuclear community.

The address is:

http://www.raymcginnis.net/NukeWorker%20Calculator.aspx

The decay calculator has much more to come.  Look at the GUI on the U and Pu calculator.  The decay calculator will have that power soon.

Join in and help me make it perfect for all of us.

Ray

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Apr 30, 2006, 01:45 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?