Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUPOC Program Accessions / General Information / Questions / Best Practices honeypot

Author Topic: NUPOC Program Accessions / General Information / Questions / Best Practices  (Read 9185 times)

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
All,

I work in the NUPOC office at Naval Recruiting Command in Tennessee.  Specifically I am the Officer Accessions Manager --- which is to say that I organize the trips to DC and determine who attends in which month, etc. 

I know that many people frequent this site looking for data on the application process and related information.  Myself and several others in the office will be checking this site periodically to attempt to address questions as they arise.  Clearly we want to bring people into the program, but we also understand that it is not for everyone and will provide objective information/answers to the best of our ability.  Please comment below with questions you might have. 

Best regards,
Brian
"That's what it is to be a human -- to always do the best you can, no matter the circumstances."
-Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

https://nupocaccessions.blogspot.com

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
As a starting point, this is copied from a separate thread but addresses several questions that I suspect are common. 

I'll attempt to answer all of your questions in order:

College Prestige?  -- Yes it matters. There is a tiered system of schools which is used for considering applications, as well as some leeway for discretion by screeners --- ie.  even though Penn State and MIT are both the top tier, clearly if all other things are equal MIT will win out... 

Intended Major? -- It's important. Having said that the requirement is that you've taken 2 semesters of Calculus and Physics (each - 4 total).  If you've got great ACT/SAT scores, a high GPA, good grades in your technical courses but are a French major --- you're still eligible.  Personally I was an Economics major in undergrad at the Naval Academy but was a Submariner, and know of quite a few similar cases. 

Class choices?  -- Most importantly get good grades in whatever you choose.  If all of your classes sound comparable to underwater basket weaving or Argentinian Womens studies someone might look askance, but as long ask you're taking real coursework and doing well you'll be fine.  Nuclear stuff maybe gets a slight up-check, but really the GPA is more important. 

Extracurriculars -- We're looking for LEADERS and Engineers.  The "whole person concept" applies, and I've seen several people be accepted despite borderline interviews based on extracurriculars.  Short answer: yes, it helps.  On the other hand if you can't do real math it won't help enough.  It's an "on the margins" type of help. 

Times to apply -- For operational (Submarines/Surface) and Instructor (Prototype and Power School) you can go to interview 30 months prior to graduating --- basically December or January of your sophomore year.  You could start an application as early as the summer after your freshman year. 

How long does Application take?  --- It varies, but basically it depends on how quickly you complete paperwork associated with the application and associated security clearance, and if there are any issues getting medical clearance.  It can take under a month.  The average is probably 6-10 weeks.  If there's a big issue with Medical, I've seen year-long applications who eventually got accepted. 

Physical fitness -- You have to be within fitness standards to go to MEPs (basically you can't get medical clearance if you're really fat).  Otherwise the only way it comes into play is that being fit will make you look more put together when you're at your interviews and with the Admiral.  Right or wrong (I think right), physical appearance reflects the standard one sets for oneself and if you are obese that doesn't inspire confidence. 

ASVAB is ignored for NUPOC.  We look at the caliber of the university, any masters/PhD work (though this is irrelevant if your undergrad GPA is bad), your SAT/ACT scores, and your GPA -- especially your grades in math/engineering/physical science courses. 

Monthly Pay/Signing bonus.  Bonus is $15,000 as a one-time payment after getting accepted with a smaller bonus once you pass the training pipeline (I think this is $2500 or $3000 but I honestly don't recall; not huge but not Zero).  You won't get another bonus in the Nuclear Navy until after your 5 year commitment if you decide to stay in.  The monthly pay as a NUPOC will show up via direct deposit bimonthly.  There are 3 basic components:  Base pay (this is your taxable pay, the rest is -- awesomely -- tax exempt), Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS) and Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).  BAS and Base Pay are standard (you'll be paid as an "E6" initially with an opportunity to promote to "E7" while in college --- search Google for "Military Pay Chart" to see this.  BAS is a few hundred-ish.  BAH varies based on where you live -- in San Francisco its about $4,000/month.  In Tupelo Mississippi it's surely much less.  The average for an E6 is somewhere between 1000-2000/month but you should look this up based on where your school is. (all is publicly available). 

Tuition Assistance --- As discussed above.  Short answer, no.  You're getting paid to go to school.  Pay for school with your pay.  ***** One caveat:

Post 9-11 GI Bill --- Your time in NUPOC will count towards retirement and towards your Post-9/11 GI bill benefits.  This can be a huge benefit.  For instance, Of the top 10 MBA programs only 1 (University of Pennsylvania) is >$15k/year after GI Bill benefits and the Yellow Ribbon Program (vice ~70k/year without).  Two (University of Virginia and Dartmouth) are completely free.  You also get a housing and living stipend while in school ---- Basically when/if you decide to leave the Navy you can take these benefits and attend the best school you get into for nothing or next to nothing if prefer that route to entering the workforce immediately.   (I used MBA as an example because that's the route I'm taking; same would apply for MEM, JD, other Masters etc)

Apply > once?  Depends on what you mean.  You can apply multiple times, but with very rare exceptions you only get one shot to go to DC for your interviews.  Occasionally the Admiral will offer for a student to come back after a semester to re-interview, in which case they can obviously return  --- but this is the exception and not the rule. 

------

I hope this helps you and any others with similar questions. 
"That's what it is to be a human -- to always do the best you can, no matter the circumstances."

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
Here's a quick (surprisingly well-done for the Navy) Submarine video some of you may enjoy.  As a Sub officer, I enjoyed it.

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
Here are a few key points regarding your NUPOC application and how we determine who goes to DC:

There are 3 key items that must be completed:
1.  You must receive formal approval from Naval Reactors to interview.  This is referred to as a "ProRec" or Professional Recommendation.  It is based primarily on your academic history (with some consideration for employment history, extra-curriculars, prior service, etc).  Once you have completed your "Program Documents" (the initial component of your application) your recruiter will submit them to our office, where we make sure everything is correct, obtain waivers if required, and submit to NR for approval.  Once you complete the paperwork the ball is out of your court. 

2. Medical Approval.  You must work with your recruiter to obtain a physical at your local MEPS.  Depending on your medical history you may need to provide documentation from past injuries or conditions either prior to your physical, or afterwards to make a determination.  You will most likely have your fingerprints taken at MEPS also which are then submitted to the Office of Personnel Management for your ..........

3. Security Clearance.   You will need a security clearance to work in the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program.  Initially you will be submitted for a secret clearance, and (assuming you are accepted) this will get upgraded to a top secret clearance later (for SUB/SWO/NRE Accessions).  We cannot send you to interview until your security investigation is scheduled -- which requires your fingerprints be submitted as well as some paperwork that you will receive from your officer recruiter. 

Once you have all of these things (or it is apparent that you will prior to the interview date) I will start tracking you for an interview.  Normally we will attempt to send applicants on the first available interview that works with their schedule and where there are interview spots (we're limited to 30-35 applicants per interview, and the interviews occur monthly). You are always welcome to delay to a later date if you desire to do so.

At this point I will assign a phone interview to you which is conducted by one of the LT's is our office.  This is intended to verify that you are prepared to go to DC and be successful.  If you are weak we will direct you to study more and either assign a re-interview or shift you to the following month.  These interviews focus on calculus 1/2 and physics 1/2 but may stray into other technical material (circuits, chemistry, thermo, fluids, etc).  I recommend you review the core material first.  Khan Academy is a good resource to refresh, and there is a plethora of recommended study material online.  If you are not used to talking through your work and thought process as you solve problems it may be useful to follow along with some technical interview questions on YouTube as a starting point. Be advised that anything in your academic record of a technical nature is fair game in DC, but that calculus and physics are the primary focus areas. 

Assuming you pass your interview we will arrange your flights and see you in DC. 

I hope this helps pull the curtains back a bit, and helps those of you who are interested to efficiently proceed with your applications.

Best regards,
Brian

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
These are not official limits, but I'll post the general competitive profiles for each position below.  Note that you may still be accepted if you fall below these and that caliber of university and other factors come into play.   We also look at your technical GPA -- if you get As in math / science but didn't do well in a freshman seminar and basket weaving you're probably ok.  Above the levels listed below you should be OK. 

If you are below these levels I'd recommend submitting a "pre-screen" by giving unofficial transcripts and your test scores to your recruiter.  This will give you an answer without requiring a ton of legwork in case the answer is a no.

We convert ACT scores to an SAT equivalent,  and we don't worry much about  the writing portion of the SAT.

Competitive Profiles:
Submarine/Surface:
3.1 GPA, 1200 SAT combined Math+Verbal

Instructors:
3.4 GPA, 1300+ SAT, must be technical major

NRE:
3.6 GPA, 1450+ SAT, must be engineering major
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:41 by BrianScott87 »

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
Correction to an above comment: I just checked the source --  The actual bonus you receive after completing the Nuclear Pipeline (ie. in addition to the initial $15,000) is $2,000 vice the 2500-3000 I noted above.

Another Question I've heard many times: What is the pass rate once in DC for interviews?  Over the past year, it has ranged as high as 97% and as low as ~85% with an average in the low 90s. 

----

The average (mean) academic profile over the last year has been a GPA of ~3.4, with SAT scores of ~1330.  There has been a general upward trend which we are pleased to see and intend to push to continue.

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
Expectations for upcoming interviews:

We will be planning to bring ~30-35 applicants to each of the next three interviews (in June, July and August). We will give preference to recent graduates and rising seniors but expect to be able to accommodate all applicants with completed kits in an efficient manner over the summer.  Please work with your recruiter to expedite your path to interview.  The next interview is planned for June 22nd (travel dates: June 20-23rd).

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
Our May interviews were yesterday.  Pass rate was on the lower end of our normal band but not terrible.   24 accepted, two invited to re-interview at a later date,  and 3 not accepted.   

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
If you are bringing guys at the lower end of your posted GPA band, I'm not surprised.  I never interviewed anyone with GPAs that low (accept USNA guys).

Cheers,

GC
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:49 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
We bring some towards the lower end of the band, though that's a small percentage.  In those cases we are particularly careful to ensure preparedness via phone interviews prior to scheduling for DC.  We get some great candidates on the low end of those bands and some on the flip side who are very high on the scale but who seem very ill equipped to be leaders and decision makers.

Occasionally I am surprised by who is accepted or isn't accepted, but overall I think the system works well.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?