Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Seeking advice - D.C. Interviews - ROTC Mid

Author Topic: Seeking advice - D.C. Interviews - ROTC Mid  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Champkart15

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Seeking advice - D.C. Interviews - ROTC Mid
« on: May 16, 2016, 10:14 »
I have read many of the topics on this website about the D.C. Interviews. My interview is coming up in June and I was curious myself. I am in ROTC and am being allowed to come interview. My degree is MET which is ME without a heavy concentration in the calculus based realm for those who aren't aware. With little experience in the Calc world, comparatively speaking, I am focusing my studies in calc and physics. Additionally I scored a low grade in Calc II so I have been told to expect most of my questions in this area. I am using the NUPOC study guide published in August 2015. Just for a bit of background info.

Many have mentioned that interviewees should not to admit when they do not know something. I found this interesting but I see the logic behind not just giving up when getting stumped. If ( more like when) I get to a point when I have exhausted all of my 'Well, I know...' lines, besides it being clearly obvious to the staff, what would be an appropriate way to handle a situation such as this? I have seen people mention here that the person giving the interview may 'guide you through a problem if you are struggling', so I would appreciate some information and advice in this area.

I am looking at the interviews with a realistic approach. I am confident I will give my best effort but I certainly do not expect to get every question right (or close to it). It seems many of the people going up for interviews are much smarter than me (frankly I was surprised I was accepted to interview) however I would like to be able to demonstrate my problem solving ability and professionalism despite my standing. I know exactly why I want to become a Submarine Officer but that means nothing if I do not get past the technical interviews. For those reading I would consider myself on the lower end of applicants from what I have read online, just for clarification. It would be nice to hear from some of those who gave interviews and perhaps some experiences they had with interviewing someone who isn't the smartest guy in the bunch. Tailored advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
Re: Seeking advice - D.C. Interviews - ROTC Mid
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:27 »
It sounds like you are focused on being prepared - -  keep studying but keep in mind that those study guides are not all inclusive.   You are right to suspect some probing in areas where you received poor grades especially since it is calculus in this case.   Prepare and you will be fine.
"That's what it is to be a human -- to always do the best you can, no matter the circumstances."
-Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

https://nupocaccessions.blogspot.com

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 06:06 »
I did both instructor and SWO(N)/Sub officer interviews back in the day before I retired.  I always asked the same questions regardless of applicant. 

There are folks who do those interviews that won't fail an applicant. I wasn't one of those guys, but I as always fair. 

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Champkart15

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:12 »
Thank you for both of your inputs, I appreciate it!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?