Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Stay in or get out? Advice
honeypot

Author Topic: Stay in or get out? Advice  (Read 4237 times)

Offline Xepher42691

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Stay in or get out? Advice
« on: May 24, 2016, 09:51 »
Hello, I'm a surface MM3 looking for advice on whether to stay in or get out.  I'm currently in my 2 year extension qualified SIR, 3M through WCS,  All QA except QAS and I don't have the NEC for Planner. I've been doing some research and a lot of what I'm finding is that without a degree and PPWS finding a decent paying job post Navy isn't as easy as I originally believed . If I re-enlist there is a good chance I can get PPWS before I'd transfer to shore  and finish up my bachelors on shore duty.  Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
V/R
MM3

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Stay in or get out? Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 10:33 »
yeah well, the NNPP cache is not what it used to be,...

stay in, finish the degree, the nukes are shutting down all over the place, there has not been a new construction start up in about two decades,...

there is little practical sense in CIVLANT or CIVPAC for qualifying PPWS IF you do not actually stand the watch for at least 2 years,...

the Navy may admire the personal intiative, the civilians want to see the proficiency,...

you might want a few more options once you do EAOS,...

oh yeah, save as much coin as you can, and try to have as little debt as possible when you do EAOS,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 01:41 »
E4 over 4 years of service....

If you were going to stay in you should have reenlisted 2 years ago. 

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 03:17 »
yew mite try contacting major nuclear vendors two sea there interest inn yore employment fore startup of the knew generation plants witch are bean built.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 04:45 »
I'd say reenlist, at least then you can get out from shore duty, so you have less stress trying to find a job than if you're underway. Also, finish the degree, it's not necessarily a huge deal, but it sets you a little apart. If you plan on going into commercial nuclear, to qualify for direct RO/SRO you will have to stand PPWS for 2 years, so you won't meet that unless you go to NPTU and qualify there as well  (I'm not saying don't qualify if you have the option).

As far as new nuclear plants go, TVA just started a new one, Vogtle has two being built then I think there's another one planned in SC (VC Summer I think) when they're done. The down side is at least 6 are closing or looking at closing in the next few years, so younger operators may just move to the new plants.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 05:22 »

....As far as new nuclear plants go, TVA just started a new one, Vogtle has two being built then I think there's another one planned in SC (VC Summer I think) when they're done. The down side is at least 6 are closing or looking at closing in the next few years, so younger operators may just move to the new plants.

eeeyup, any start ups, IF ANY, will be east of the Pecos and south of the Mason Dixon line,...

so, you will have to compete with the EXPERIENCED, QUALIFIED, AOs, NOs, EOs, STEs, ROs, SROs, and all the engineers and others coming out of the closing plants who will be applying for any and all positions available in the land of the sunshine bonus,...

there are government labs, fuel fabricators, waste disposal sites and the Tennessee processors cabals, BUT, there again, there are still a lot of experienced, degreed, certified, proven track record people to compete with for those jobs,...

you can always take an entry level job somewhere, BUT why did you spend six years plus of your life in the thrall of the USN to take an entry level, entry wage job?!?!?!?!

soooooooo,...use the Navy to make yourself more marketable, and work hard at it, really hard, OR coast through for 20+ years with a retirement while adjusting / prepping yourself for a post Navy career, OR get out ASAP and get the pain of the entry level stuff in CIVLANT/CIVPAC behind you as quick as you can,...

in the last scenario, try to get an entry level job where your USN time counts as years of service in your new job (TVA, some of the labs, some government jobs, etc.),...

good luck,... 8)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:27 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?