Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Older guy, looking at NUPOC honeypot

Author Topic: Older guy, looking at NUPOC  (Read 5495 times)

Offline Enkaybee

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Older guy, looking at NUPOC
« on: Jun 01, 2016, 03:17 »
Hello everyone. I've been reading this forum as well as other sources of information about the NUPOC program trying to figure out of it's right for me. I've talked to an officer recruiter as well. I haven't been able to find anyone else in my exact situation so I figured I'd make a post with all the relevant information.

I'm a month short of 28 years old
I have a bachelors degree in mechanical engineering with a 3.35 GPA (graduated in 2011)
I was recently laid off from a design job that I didn't find particularly rewarding and I'm having trouble finding a new job, design or otherwise
I'm in excellent physical shape

I'm looking at NUPOC because I see it as kind of a fresh start. I've wanted to be a power plant operator since college, but that's not the kind of job that they just give you when you don't have experience operating a power plant. It doesn't have to be a nuclear plant, but in any case I haven't found a way to get training other than NUPOC. Of course I would have to give 6 years to the Navy, but in theory it will be time spent doing something meaningful and will earn me the experience I need once I return to the private sector.

Thoughts? Do many people my age do this? Is there a better way to get into the field than going through the Navy? Am I an idiot for even considering this? I'm happy to hear anything you have to say on the matter.

Thanks.

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
Re: Older guy, looking at NUPOC
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2016, 04:58 »
We get a surprising number of applicants in your position.  I've got to run for right now, but if you want to go the Nuclear Operator route and the military aspects of NUPOC appeal to you it definitely is an option.  Having said that it may be worth checking out BMPC/BPMI as well.

For what it's worth you are within the age window to be eligible - and a small correction: it's 5, not 6 years.  Actually just over 5, as that clock doesn't start until you graduate from OCS, but roughly 5. 

I'd be inclined to tell you that NUPOC is worth checking out, but then again that's also my job.  I'll defer to some of the more seasoned fellows here to provide less biased advice. 

"That's what it is to be a human -- to always do the best you can, no matter the circumstances."
-Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

https://nupocaccessions.blogspot.com

Offline Enkaybee

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2016, 12:41 »
Follow up question: I understand that a large portion of the people who get accepted into the program end up washing out of OCS. What happens then? Are you released from serving in the Navy? Do they just drop you down to E6 and still put you through nuke school and then stick you on a sub? What is it that has people washing out anyway?

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2016, 03:06 »
The 'wash-out' rates are actually quite low at OCS.  I did not go to OCS personally and don't have any statistics, but anecdotally I'd chalk most up to stress or lack of fitness.  If you are motivated to succeed you absolutely will.

Once you report to OCS you aren't under the NUPOC umbrella anymore so I'm not sure about the exact process for drops, but it is uncommon for someone to be forced to enlist.

"That's what it is to be a human -- to always do the best you can, no matter the circumstances."

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2016, 07:31 »
Thoughts? Do many people my age do this?
No, but the age limit for sub officer or SWO nuke is 29 without prior service, so that is why. That means you have to commission by the time you turn 29, now back that up by a 9 mo to a year to get your app processed and you can see how this can be a bit sticky for you...

Is there a better way to get into the field than going through the Navy? Am I an idiot for even considering this? I'm happy to hear anything you have to say on the matter.
There probably is a better way to get into civilian power plant ops than going through the Navy, but you'll have to search other forum topics for that answer. Bear in mind that if you go into subs (which if you are male is probably going to be your only option in NUPOC), the community expects you to be an Navy officer first, and will be trained as if you would one day be the CO of a ship. You will get about a year to two of propulsion plant supervisory experience, but after that you will be expected to focus on tactical stuff.

Follow up question: I understand that a large portion of the people who get accepted into the program end up washing out of OCS. What happens then? Are you released from serving in the Navy? Do they just drop you down to E6 and still put you through nuke school and then stick you on a sub? What is it that has people washing out anyway?
Few people attrite from OCS for good. There are people who take a little longer to graduate through either medical or academic reasons, but the vast majority will eventually graduate. The most common way for people to drop out are either medical issues not identified prior to OCS (most common for aviation, since their flight physical occurs after reporting for OCS) or to voluntarily quit (called a drop on request or DOR).

To answer your question directly: Your contract will state that if you fail to commission because of your own doing (e.g. DOR or fail out due to repeated academic/inspection failures), you will owe two years as enlisted as an undesignated seaman. You would go to boot camp and start over as an E-1.

If you drop out because of an issue that isn't your fault (e.g., you blow out your knee and are no longer PQ, you have kids and your spouse croaks while you're at OCS), you just get administratively separated and that's it.

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2016, 07:58 »
The application times for NUPOC are WAY below 9 months right now.  We've been turning applications around in about 3-4 months on average and sometimes faster as long as the applicant is timely completing paperwork and returning it to his /her recruiter. 9+ months was the norm a year ago.

Otherwise that all checks out. 

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 06, 2016, 08:28 »
3-4 months maybe when you get a complete package. He still has to fill out the required paperwork, get his letters of recommendation, and get all the information for the list of contacts for his clearance paperwork. If he is quick about it that will take about 1-2 months to complete. Then add another 1-2 months for an OCS report date, again assuming it can be quick, and you can easily see how this application process can take around 8-9 months.
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2016, 08:38 by spekkio »

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2016, 09:59 »
Obviously all is predicated on the application being completed by the applicant otherwise there's nothing we can do.  We no longer require the letters of recommendation as part of the kit.  I've seen applicants complete all paperwork in a day. 

On OCS you're right -- we will not normally send someone to OCS without having at least 3 weeks of time at home to get affairs in order unless they request to go sooner for some reason.  This can take a bit longer up to 6-8 weeks but rarely longer.  Then again, at this point the applicant is already being paid so most are not all that frustrated by any delay at this stage. 

It still can take way longer, but 3-4 months is very much the norm now. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?