Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Chances of Getting In Duke Energy honeypot

Author Topic: Chances of Getting In Duke Energy  (Read 9628 times)

Offline NukeWannaB

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Chances of Getting In Duke Energy
« on: Jun 06, 2016, 08:47 »
Hey guys and gals.  I would like to ask for help from either previous Duke energy employees or current duke energy employees. I have been applying to duke energy for a while and can't seem to get a call.  I have been told that it is a difficult process.  I wanted to know my chances of getting in.  I have recently applied for the Nuclear Operator Technician 1 position at the Brunswick County NC plant.  My resume is a bit spotty. I have been teaching high school for the past few years and have manufacturing experience (Drafting, Machine Operator).  When I say my resume is spotty I am implying that I don't have any nuclear experience.  I have a BS in biology if that helps.  Any advice is welcome. Currently employed in a manufacturing setting.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: Chances of Getting In Duke Energy
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2016, 09:13 »
With that resume you would probably have to know somebody.  I was an operator there and alot of Ex Navy nukes were hired, as well as guys with nuclear related degrees.  I know a couple had physics degrees.  Engineering degree might help.  If you just really want in to nuclear apply to all plants and maybe one that is hard up in a certain area might give you an interview.  You could try chemistry technician. but it would be a reach.  There are some environmental jobs at some nukes.  Biology might be a good fit for that.  Once you get in house you can bid on other jobs.  Look for jobs you are qualified for with that biology degree then try to move to the position you want.  Maybe take a class or 2 in something nuclear related possibly a physics class if you are really into it.

Offline NukeWannaB

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2016, 09:20 »
Ok.  That is what I was afraid of.  I have a friend of the family that works for duke energy (not nuke but Ex. Navy).  He has encouraged me to continue to apply.  His advice was similar to yours, "try to get your foot in the door". 
« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2016, 09:21 by NukeWannaB »

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2016, 09:03 »
Ok.  That is what I was afraid of.  I have a friend of the family that works for duke energy (not nuke but Ex. Navy).  He has encouraged me to continue to apply.  His advice was similar to yours, "try to get your foot in the door". 

I'd suggest that try to get on as a contractor also. Maybe your family friend can get you in contact with the site recruiter for contracting company. I'm guessing that is DZA?

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2016, 02:28 »
Probably no need that say that the entire career field is contracting. Apply for any job you are qualified for at any plant. With a good resume and experience you can begin to work your way back to whatever plant you want but to limit yourself at this point severely limits your chances. Chemistry and environmental will be good and a lot of companies bring new hires in as laborers. It's a good way to see just what you are made of.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2016, 07:42 »
Right now Duke has pulled nearly all their nuke jobs from their website. Well at least as of last week they had

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2016, 11:12 »
Right now Duke has pulled nearly all their nuke jobs from their website. Well at least as of last week they had

This is what their site looks like:

Energy Delivery(12)
Engineering(5)
Administration(4)
Generation(4)
Human Resources(4)
Environmental Health & Safety(3)
Legal(3)
Information Systems(3)
Nuclear Generation(3)
IT Development and Administration(3)

About the same thing across their entire organization, nuclear or non-nuclear.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2016, 06:44 by Rennhack »

Offline NukeWannaB

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2016, 07:59 »
Thanks guys for the advice.  I will continue trying!

Offline Frank Cable

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 12, 2016, 10:13 »
I have a BS in biology if that helps.  Any advice is welcome. Currently employed in a manufacturing setting.

At the risk of sounding like Broadzilla/Rerun, if I were you I'd get a better degree. If you can transfer your current classes and take the extra required classes to get a physics, chemistry or engineering degree I would. At my plant/company only stem degrees are acceptable for SRO applicants. While you are not applying for an SRO position they will want you to later. No use hiring someone for NLO that's not eligible to become an SRO.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2016, 05:30 »
ACAD doesn't require a degree to be an SRO, but you'll have to work your way through the NLO and RO positions (at least two years each) to get there.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2016, 06:28 »
Who cares about the ACAD? NRC sets the requirements

Offline JROB

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2016, 08:57 »
There was recently a large class of 40ish for all the NLO positions at the Duke sites. Out of all of those, most had prior nuclear experience, but there were a handful of people that did not. One even had a biology degree and that was about it. The plant that seemed to be hiring the most people without prior nuclear experience was Robinson. All of the Duke sites, besides Brunswick, are on the same hiring schedule, so the jobs will post at the same time pretty much. Brunswick didn't have anyone new this year.

I know this is a late reply, but just keep applying, and apply to all the Duke sites. Since you don't have industry experience, I would put things related to safety, teamwork, and things of that nature on your resume.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2016, 05:46 »
Who cares about the ACAD? NRC sets the requirements
Because for your site to maintain its license you have to have an accredited training program. Since INPO provides the accreditation, you need to follow their guidance. In this case, I believe the ACAD requirements come right from the NRC though (not in the mood to check the NRC site right now).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?