Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Can I reenlist as an Nuke Officer from Selres  

Author Topic: Can I reenlist as an Nuke Officer from Selres  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Stoicmind

• Lurker
Can I reenlist as an Nuke Officer from Selres
« on: Jun 08, 2016, 08:58 »
Alright so I'm currently in the process of enlisting as a reservist. I decided to do this for personal and financial reasons. So while I'm in the process of enlisting my recruiter tells me that It's kind of perfect that I'm half way through my degree (Mech. Engineering) and that by the time I finish it (in 2 years) I can go from reservist to active duty by reenlisting as an officer. I'm very aware of the fact that recruiters have their agendas and quotas;however, I really didn't giver her any reason to have to reassure me of my decision on enlisting. I dove in headfirst, I knew this is what I wanted.  She didn't really need to try to convincing me. So with that being said I'm assuming there is some truth to what she is saying. The puzzling thing to me is that no matter how you enlist your commitment is 8 years; some active some inactive (so I've read, would like a confirmation). So to reenlist as an officer that would mean that my prior commitment would have to be waived/ended prematurely . Also I don't understand the relevance of 2 years in terms of reservist obligation. This might be more of a general navy question but I would appreciate any help. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2016, 08:59 by Stoicmind »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Can I reenlist as an Nuke Officer from Selres
« Reply #1 on: Jun 09, 2016, 09:35 »
........ The puzzling thing to me is that no matter how you enlist your commitment is 8 years; some active some inactive (so I've read, would like a confirmation).......

eight years has been the standard, enlisted, contractual, obligation for many decades,...

once you begin combining enlisted obligation with commissioned officer expectations the math gets fuzzy,...

regardless, the armed services will want to get their investment back (or be able to exercise that option), manifested as either active service, or having you on the hook and eligible for active service (e.g. reserves) depending on the needs of the USN, USAF, USA, et al (sic),...

occasionally, the needs of the service are to cut you loose when you do not want to be cut loose and terminate your contract,...

life's a crap shoot, I'll leave it to the contractually astute to help you cut your best deal,...

you are right though, your's is a general question and has nothing specific to do with Navy Nuke unless you are stacking the deck for an eventual transfer into the NNPP, but that level of Machiavellian career planning is too bothersome from my vantage,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 2016, 02:13 »
The 8 year obligation began June 1 1984, prior to that it was 6 years. I joined in 1973 and was only obligated for 6 years
A co-worker of mine was an enlisted Coastie, got out, went to college and joined the Reserve Coasties again as an officer. He is still in.

That being what it is, as with the 6 year vs 8 year obligation, things change with the needs of the military. But think about this, if you enlist you must apply and become accepted to become an officer candidate. There are many degreed enlisted people who are not officers. If you finish your degree as a civilian you may try to join as an officer. Recruiters have been know to talk about would could happen vs what is likely to happen and occasionally there may be some stretching of the truth. If you want to be in no matter what then go ahead and join, if you want to be an officer it may be best to wait until school is completed.  Good luck

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2016, 02:21 »
The 8 year obligation began June 1 1984, prior to that it was 6 years......

can 3.2 decades count as many or only somewhere between few and several?!?!?,... :P ;) :) 8)

(if you were to serve in the USN for 3.2 decades I am pretty sure that would sure seem to be many decades)

« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2016, 02:23 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2016, 09:25 »
I think a few and several are in the 3-5 range, but "many" by M-W is "consisting of or amounting to a large but indefinite number", so there is a vagueness to "many" 

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2016, 12:37 »
The 8 year obligation began June 1 1984, prior to that it was 6 years..........

I understood when I enlisted in 1980 that due to my training being longer than 3 months (6 months) that I was required to OBLISERV for eight years (navy nukes, advanced ETs, etc.),...

IF...I had dropped out of nuke after boot but before graduating A school (for whatever reason) I would revert to a 6 year OBLISERV,...

then came AFEES and the end of my NNPP aspirations,...

as it was, I enlisted as a conventional MM on a 6 year OBLISERV,...

later, when I entered the NNPP I was required to agree to an OBLISERV of eight years, 6 years active including time, served plus two years inactive...

it has been a long time and I may be incorrect, and none of it really matters anymore anyhow,... :P ;) :) 8)

Offline gacky27

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2016, 01:31 »
If your desire is to screen as an officer then put in an officer package. Do not enlist. There is no such thing as "re-enlisting" as an officer. There is a selection process, but it isn't as simple as just signing a piece of paper and changing from enlisted to officer, you need to screen for it.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?