Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Preparing for the pipeline honeypot

Author Topic: Preparing for the pipeline  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Darkrhoads

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Preparing for the pipeline
« on: Jun 14, 2016, 10:26 »
-update-I will be in DEP until 20170409. While I do agree with the idea of "the Navy way" for some reason part of me tells me I should at least keep up with the math I took in highschool. I took math up to calculus 1 in highschool. And a physics and a pregnineering class where we covered such things as fluid flow and thermodynamics which I know will be crucial in reactor science-update-

Alright  so I have officially signed my contract for the nuke field and am now in DEP wanting to be as prepared  as possible for both boot camp and especially the pipeline. I have already been studying the start guide starting to understand rates and ranks, sailors creed, and everything a recruit should know. I have also been working out quite a lot to make sure my body is physically prepared for boot camp. Where I lack in the knowledge of how to prepare myself is for the actual pipeline. I just graduated high school and passed everything in highschool with a breeze but I know the pipeline is not going to be the same case. I want to do everything that I can to be as best prepared as possible but I just don't know what I should be doing. I know it is heavy on maths and physics, which are both my strong points however it would help A lot if I knew what math to be studying and keeping  fresh on as well what physics. Should I be studying reactor science now or wait till they teach me how they want me to do it? If anyone had any good resources for studying or any insight at all to better prepare myself for the pipeline it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks A lot.
Sincerely,
Future Sailor Stanford
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2016, 06:49 by Darkrhoads »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Preparing for the pipeline
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2016, 12:57 »
The Navy will teach you the Navy way. So preperation has limited benifit.

The right way
The wrong way

and

The Navy way
« Last Edit: Dec 21, 2016, 10:06 by Marlin »

Druid

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2016, 10:24 »
How long will you be in DEP?

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2016, 01:57 »
Dont study in advance. It wont help you. Go in with the attitude on your worst day its still pretty damn fun and you will be fine

ISOCS

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2016, 05:09 »
Know your advanced math, physics, and chemistry. Make sure you can do math word problems cause that seemed to get a lot of personnel out quickly. They'll teach you Rx Principles and Heat transfer and fluid flow. Learn how to memorize a whole lot of stuff by using acronyms.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2016, 04:23 »
Don't study extra material. The pipeline will teach you what you need to know in the way they want you to know it.

Pay close attention to what your instructors tell you... they want you to pass.

Red TEXT! Live it, love it, learn it!

If you don't understand something, bring it up and resolve it asap. 

Always do your homework, especially aware of the assigned HW. (Don't do the wrong problems, you will find out why)

Don't skip sleep so you can get that next level in your video game...

I don't know if I cared too much, but I left with a 3.8/3.7 in a/power school... so I hope this helps.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline Arxos

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2016, 04:06 »
Don't bother trying to prepare beforehand. The math on the enlisted side is not advanced (basic algebra, exponents, logs, and trig). You'll learn the way the Navy wants you to learn. When you get here, develop your study habits early in A School, so the rest of the pipeline will go by much smoother. It's not as hard as some people make it out to be. Nobody wants you to fail, and most of the instructors care about your performance, as long as you put forth the effort and aren't lazy.

Offline MercuryMan

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:59 »
Congrats on your selection!  As most have stated, academic preparation will have little impact.  You will learn everything new form day 1.  As a pipeline instructor, I will tell you that physical fitness is a huge problem for us.  If you can get into a physical fitness mindset, before you ship, it will make the entire pipeline easier.  Good luck!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?