Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How hard is it to get a height waiver?

Author Topic: How hard is it to get a height waiver?  (Read 6102 times)

Offline Dread_Murmur

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
How hard is it to get a height waiver?
« on: Jun 15, 2016, 05:07 »
Hey all. I'm not even in college yet but I've been extremely interested in a career as a nuke aboard a sub. The only problem (so far) is that I'm 6'9", which I believe is an inch above the height limit for the navy. I realize that I'll probably be quite uncomfortable on a sub, but I'm willing to bear it. Is it difficult to get a height waiver? Also, when should I try for one?

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
Re: How hard is it to get a height waiver?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2016, 05:23 »
It has zero to do with what you are willing to bear

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2016, 05:32 »
I don't know if there is a current height limit, there was not one when I was in... BUT you will be 3" taller than the standard coffin locker bunk is long.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2016, 09:17 »
You will be extremely uncomfortable on a submarine at that height. You basically will never be able to sleep.

As far as medical waivers, they are handled by medical and will be relatively transparent to you.

Offline Dread_Murmur

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2016, 09:55 »
Well, I've had beds I haven't been able to stretch out on. I'm sure that's nothing compared to submarine beds, but I tend to sleep fetal most of the time anyway. Plus, I'll be more willing to get out of bed when it's my shift. Are SSBNs generally roomier than SSNs? This is what I've heard, but I've yet to confirm it.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2016, 09:54 »
Well, I've had beds I haven't been able to stretch out on. I'm sure that's nothing compared to submarine beds, but I tend to sleep fetal most of the time anyway. Plus, I'll be more willing to get out of bed when it's my shift. Are SSBNs generally roomier than SSNs? This is what I've heard, but I've yet to confirm it.

About 6' 1" seemed to be the worst height for someone on my boats. People taller than that were bent over in many places and were already hyper aware of the hazards. Those at 6' 1" walked normally in most of the boat but when there was a drill the gait of the increased speed running tended to bounce their forehead up in the target zone and struck valves and other equipment that was normally above their head. I was on two 637s so my input is somewhat limited maybe someone who served more recently can add to that. The 688s that I went aboard did not seem much better in the forward end of the boat but much roomier in the engineering spaces. One of my classmates at prototype was 6' 9", he went to subs.

Good luck keep the positive attitude.   K

Samabby

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2016, 03:13 »
I have a young friend with 8 years in who stands 6'8"" - currently on a LA class out of Norfolk- He claims that after a few hard head knocks he quickly figured out how to assume the proper position while aboard.

Druid

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2016, 01:04 »
I have a young friend with 8 years in who stands 6'8"" - currently on a LA class out of Norfolk- He claims that after a few hard head knocks he quickly figured out how to assume the proper position while aboard.

Speaking as someone who is 6'5" and went to S1W prototype (grew 4 inches between boot & prototype), I can sympathize with your 6'8" friend. Smacked my head constantly for my time there. Ended up on a carrier and still would split my scalp every few months. Its all about assuming the "constant hunch" position. Machinery upper and lower levels and diesel spaces were fine. Everywhere else on the ship you have a cable or pipe hanger, battle lantern, etc. hanging down where you forget about them.

BTW, can you shoot the basketball like David Robinson?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2016, 05:31 »
David Robinson was 7'1"
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Samabby

« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2016, 08:07 »
Mr. Gamecock, as I recall he just made the 6'10" max on signing & grew several inches while @ the Academy.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?