Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Should I be more flexible with expectations? (waivers)

Author Topic: Should I be more flexible with expectations? (waivers)  (Read 6804 times)

Offline Eules

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Hello everyone! This is my first post here, so apologies for any errors or misinformed opinions. I've tried to find other posts similar to what I'm about to describe but only found things vaguely similar.

So I'm interested in joining the Navy Nukes and I've gone in to take the ASVAB (scored 250 for NUC). I wasn't surprised by underachieving here since I took the test cold after folding to pressure from the recruiters (big mistake). I know I can study and pass the ASVAB or  the NAPT. The issue I'm having is with my parents citizenship: they were both born in CUBA. The recruiters keep trying to tell me to sign for SECF, then change it later if I get a waiver, but this seems VERY sketchy to me.

So, my questions would be:

1.How likely is my waiver to pass for parents born in a "sensitive" country.

2.Would Retaking ASVAB be preferable to taking the NAPT? I've heard that NUC "bravo" has a smaller pool to choose from.

Thank you for your time.

P.S I don't mind being sent to SECF if I can't hack it in Nuke, but I want to at least give it a shot.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
Re: Should I be more flexible with expectations? (waivers)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2016, 09:32 »
Hello everyone! This is my first post here, so apologies for any errors or misinformed opinions. I've tried to find other posts similar to what I'm about to describe but only found things vaguely similar.

So I'm interested in joining the Navy Nukes and I've gone in to take the ASVAB (scored 250 for NUC). I wasn't surprised by underachieving here since I took the test cold after folding to pressure from the recruiters (big mistake). I know I can study and pass the ASVAB or  the NAPT. The issue I'm having is with my parents citizenship: they were both born in CUBA. The recruiters keep trying to tell me to sign for SECF, then change it later if I get a waiver, but this seems VERY sketchy to me.

Man, that's an impressive score.

• Standard scores: The battery consists of a set of 9 to 10 sub-tests, depending on whether you are taking the paper format or the computerized format of the test. The score that you receive for each of the sub-test is reported separately and the sum of these scores is reported as a standard score. If you take the paper format of the test, then the maximum total standard score that you can get is 225. If you take the CAT-ASVAB, then the highest standard score achievable is 145.

Offline Eules

• Very Lite User
    « Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2016, 03:13 »
    My test was some kind of new format online. My ASVAB  score was 95, and my line scores (the only ones that seemed important really) added up to 250. Regardless, the score is not the issue.

The test was called PI-something; I can't remember exactly.
    « Last Edit: Jun 21, 2016, 03:18 by Eules »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
    • caveo proditor,...
    « Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2016, 10:32 »
    ...... Regardless, the score is not the issue......

the details of the score and the inconsistency of that score with published references is an issue because you introduced your scores into the dialogue and into the foundations of your query and your scenario with your opening,...

.....The test was called PI-something; I can't remember exactly.

part of nuclear plant operating proficiency is built on remembering exactly,...

another part on clear communication,...

another part on clarifying / verifying communications and indications before proceeding,...

another part on implementing procedures and actions exactly,...

those notions listed above are part of the groundrules for the vocation you are seeking entry to,...

for better or worse, those behaviours tend to influence nukeworkers in many of their interactions outside of the operating plant,...

it was your first post, and so now you know,...

peace,... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Eules

• Very Lite User
    « Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2016, 08:39 »
    the details of the score and the inconsistency of that score with published references is an issue because you introduced your scores into the dialogue and into the foundations of your query and your scenario with your opening,...

another part on clear communication,...
    This was a very convoluted way to say, "Your score is an issue because it is part of your dialoge."

part of nuclear plant operating proficiency is built on remembering exactly,...
    I called my recruiter to ask exactly what it was called: PiCAT ASVAB (implemented Jan.26.2016). For all intents and purposes, it will be referred to as my ASVAB score. This seems like an unnecessary extension of your work ethic. I would not pester a friend over irrelevant specifics. If I were to mistake something work related, that would be a different matter entirely.

for better or worse, those behaviours tend to influence nukeworkers in many of their interactions outside of the operating plant,...

it was your first post, and so now you know,...

peace,... 8)

Truly, if I have offended others in some way I apologize. I came to this specific sub-forum where I assumed people with very little experience with the Navy ,and Nuclear Operations in general, come to ask questions. This being the case, I did not think I had to post my general score of 95 when the line specific scores for NUC were all that mattered.

Line scores for
    NUC (Nuclear Operations "NFa") are calculated : AR + MK + EI + GS > 252   or   AR + MK + VE + MC > 252.source: http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/nuclear/Pages/NuclearRatings.aspx

All of this information was given as context to the questions in the original post. My specific "issue" :
    The issue I'm having is with my parents citizenship: they were both born in CUBA.
    To flesh this out, neither of them is naturalized, but both have their green cards. My recruiters are pressuring me to sign for SECF ( a rate I suggested as plan B) while waiting for a verdict on the waivers. I want to join the Nuclear Navy, but the recruiters are saying it's unlikely with my waiver needs. At this point, I am looking for guidance on whether or not I can reasonably expect this waiver to pass; I do not want to go back and forth for a year "sticking to my guns" when the outcome is preordained.

On to the second question. My recruiters are insistent that a higher score on my ASVAB (needed 252; got 250) will not matter when it comes to waivers; is this true? So far they have not been very knowledgeable about the NUC rating in general, which is why I am here. My options are as follows:
    • Keep my score of 250 and hope for a waiver.
    • Retake the ASVAB in 25 days.
    • Take the NAPT.
    What are your opinions on those choices, and are there other options?

Thank you for your time :)    EDIT: Formatting
    « Last Edit: Jun 21, 2016, 08:45 by Eules »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
    • caveo proditor,...
    « Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2016, 06:47 »
    This was a very convoluted way to say, "Your score is an issue because it is part of your dialoge.".....

not convoluted in context; nukes tend to have accurate recall, when statements of condition do not seem right based on their own recall then nukes look things up, your stated score versus the published material was inconsistent with the recall of the earlier poster responding to the ASVAB score inconsistency,...

...I called my recruiter to ask exactly what it was called: PiCAT ASVAB (implemented Jan.26.2016). For all intents and purposes, it will be referred to as my ASVAB score. This seems like an unnecessary extension of your work ethic. I would not pester a friend over irrelevant specifics. If I were to mistake something work related, that would be a different matter entirely.....

peer checks, coaching, and challenging inaccurate statements to clarify what is what, is the nuclear way,...

this is a nukeworker board; the peer checking, coaching and clarification on this thread will be a lesson learned for other posters to understand the implementation and existence of the PiCAT ASVAB, and the impact of that test battery on the previously known paradigms and conventional wisdom,...

we are not friends, but most of we on these boards are nukes: nukes pester for details because without details, including seemingly irrelevant details; nukes get Fukushima, S1C, etcetera,...

....All of this information was given as context to the questions in the original post. My specific "issue" :
    To flesh this out, neither of them is naturalized, but both have their green cards. My recruiters are pressuring me to sign for SECF ( a rate I suggested as plan B) while waiting for a verdict on the waivers. I want to join the Nuclear Navy, but the recruiters are saying it's unlikely with my waiver needs. At this point, I am looking for guidance on whether or not I can reasonably expect this waiver to pass; I do not want to go back and forth for a year "sticking to my guns" when the outcome is preordained.

On to the second question. My recruiters are insistent that a higher score on my ASVAB (needed 252; got 250) will not matter when it comes to waivers; is this true? So far they have not been very knowledgeable about the NUC rating in general, which is why I am here. My options are as follows:
    • Keep my score of 250 and hope for a waiver.
    • Retake the ASVAB in 25 days.
    • Take the NAPT.
    What are your opinions on those choices, and are there other options?

Thank you for your time :)    EDIT: Formatting

only be a nuke because you want to work in the engineering spaces of a ship and be a nuke operator,...

if you want to be a nuke then stick to being a nuke, and do whatever assures that outcome,...

you need to own the decision because if you come to hate it in 5 years, and many do, you need to hold only yourself to blame for the decision,...

you need to find an enlisted nuclear recruiter, not a general purpose recruiter,...

(sic),.... 8)
    « Last Edit: Jun 22, 2016, 06:54 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
    « Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2016, 09:05 »
    My test was some kind of new format online. My ASVAB  score was 95, and my line scores (the only ones that seemed important really) added up to 250. Regardless, the score is not the issue.

The test was called PI-something; I can't remember exactly.

That makes more sense, thanks for clarifying.

Follow this advise, particularly the part about contacting a Nuke Recruiter.

only be a nuke because you want to work in the engineering spaces of a ship and be a nuke operator,...

if you want to be a nuke then stick to being a nuke, and do whatever assures that outcome,...

you need to own the decision because if you come to hate it in 5 years, and many do, you need to hold only yourself to blame for the decision,...

you need to find an enlisted nuclear recruiter, not a general purpose recruiter,...

(sic),.... 8)

Offline Eules

• Very Lite User
    « Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2016, 03:11 »

Owning the decision to join has been a real concern for me. Not being able to actually see the job and what it entails , while signing up to do it for 6 years, is scary to say the least.  :D 
    I suppose that's one reason why SECF is a more comfortable decision for me.

I called my recruiter to get a number for the local nuclear recruiter and he said that I can't call them; it's something they have to do and then relay the information back to me. Is there some other way to contact them? A quick google search hasn't brought up anything.
    « Last Edit: Jun 23, 2016, 03:16 by Eules »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
    • caveo proditor,...
    « Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2016, 03:59 »

Owning the decision to join has been a real concern for me. Not being able to actually see the job and what it entails , while signing up to do it for 6 years, is scary to say the least.  :D 
    I suppose that's one reason why SECF is a more comfortable decision for me....

it's just the NNPP, literally thousands and thousands have been there and done that, it's not scary, it's just a commitment,...

....I called my recruiter to get a number for the local nuclear recruiter and he said that I can't call them; it's something they have to do and then relay the information back to me. Is there some other way to contact them? A quick google search hasn't brought up anything.

that I do not know, there are users on these boards who do though, break out that question into it's own specific post, somebody will probably answer that within a couple of days either in this thread or by PM,...

it may already be answered somewhere on the boards, use the search function here for "enlisted recruiter" and similar,...

in the meantime, should your circumstances allow, agree and sign to nothing until you do get to speak with and induct with a nuke recruiter,...

you can do the "join now and nuke later" dance, I did and things worked out well for me, but I'm lucky that way, plus my enlistment started 36 years, 1 month and 12 days ago, and that was a different Navy,...

the outcome you desire should you exercise that paradigm is in no way assured to occur,...
    « Last Edit: Jun 23, 2016, 04:00 by GLW »

Offline Eules

• Very Lite User
    « Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2016, 04:19 »
    Thank you for the words man, appreciate it. I'm going to go ahead and search around and try some google-fu to see if I can dig up the location (and hence the number). If all that fails, I'll go ahead and take your advice on making another thread specifically for contacting a nuclear recruiter. I am sure someone else has tried to do this and at the least it will help someone else who comes along in the future.

Cheers :)

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
    « Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2016, 12:30 »
    The needs of the Navy will decide what waivers are granted. If you join be familiar with those words. When you fill out dream-sheets or any other request the needs of the Navy come first. With that said I don't know why people were so focused on your reported scoring, must be slow times in whatever means most to them.
    I joined in 1973 and was in Nuke school at the tail end of the Vietnam War getting to the fleet when it was over except for the shooting. When I was in the fleet was growing and more people were getting waivers, as the fleet size shrinks or grows the Navy needs will adjust along with your chances of being a nuke, Navy enlistment bonuses also adjust as the needs of the navy, do a little more homework in these areas and decide what is most important to you. The Navy has many technical programs that may benefit you in the long term. Good luck and thanks for your interest in being a sailor.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
    • Stop Global Whining!!!
    « Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2016, 12:46 »
    The needs of the Navy will decide what waivers are granted. If you join be familiar with those words. When you fill out dream-sheets or any other request the needs of the Navy come first. With that said I don't know why people were so focused on your reported scoring, must be slow times in whatever means most to them.
    I joined in 1973 and was in Nuke school at the tail end of the Vietnam War getting to the fleet when it was over except for the shooting. When I was in the fleet was growing and more people were getting waivers, as the fleet size shrinks or grows the Navy needs will adjust along with your chances of being a nuke, Navy enlistment bonuses also adjust as the needs of the navy, do a little more homework in these areas and decide what is most important to you. The Navy has many technical programs that may benefit you in the long term. Good luck and thanks for your interest in being a sailor.

Good words to hear for someone who wants to enlist, commission, or make the Navy a career. It can change year to year much less from a major transition from an active draft to an all volunteer Navy. Increased ship building including submarines which are a large chunk of the Pentagon budget today are potential drivers for today's Navy Nuke candidate. The next election will be a contributing factor as well.

Good luck and keep your eyes and ears open. Recruiters aren't disliked by many military people because they smell funny.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
    All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
    Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?