Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Sooo, Why Haven't the Roadrats organized?
honeypot

Author Topic: Sooo, Why Haven't the Roadrats organized?  (Read 26134 times)

skooter

I wasRe: Sooo, Why Haven't the Roadrats organized?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2003, 04:54 »
I was with AMU at CR. IBEW left out a big piece of National Labor Board law. We didn't need to strike at all. All we had to do was request a vote to organize. It takes about 3 months. That outage was long enough to have us there for a sufficient amount of time to vote. They may have had that vote. I don't know I ended up going to Fitz when I lost my job.
The outages are drastically shorter now. I don't believe there would be time to request a vote. Striking does not work, you can't force the law.

Offline uRiaL

• BELIEVING RCT
  • Moderate User
  • God knows the path I take......
Re: Sooo, Why Haven't the Roadrats organized?
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2003, 02:55 »
radbastard,in that case i should know you,the tech that jumped ship used to come in extra  early so noone could see him.  [smiley=beerchug.gif] [smiley=beerchug.gif]
I thank  GOD for you with every remembrance of you.

Offline idrum4food

• Moderate User
  • If ya need air, rope, or wings to get ta where yur goin, ya don't need ta go.
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2003, 05:46 »
We had a fairly good turnout at Hatch. Most stood the picket line for about a week. I remember cause I was a Jr. tech and had been outta work for about a month prior and needed the money Baaaaaaaaad but still supported the cause. Of course a few but when the strike was over, most got to return to work.

spectrumanalyst

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2003, 10:52 »
I, too was a house tech in the late 70s when the IBEW was representing us.  We were treated as bastard step children and only some of us were actually in the union.  When I decided to join I was advised against it by the shop stewart so I never formally joined.  By 1985, the union was voted out.  It really doesn't matter whether you become part of a union or form your own union; what really matters is that the other unions recognize yours.  When you go on strike, you need their support as well.  That's why the strike failed.  Other unions crossed the picket line.  But times have changed and unions dont throw as much weight as they use to.  They may be more inclined to support us now in these hard economic times.  I'm still in favor of a union as long as we get the full support of one.  I have met many road techs and for a short time, was one myself, and most have complained of the conditions.  I am strongly considering returning to the road as our pay has drastically fell behind the inflation rate.  We are certified professionals yet we are not treated as such.  Not anyone can pass the DOE core or NEU test and that is reason enough to demand much higher pay and better benifits as many criss cross the country just trying to keep the bills paid.

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2003, 08:38 »
 Not anyone can pass the DOE core or NEU test and that is reason enough to demand much higher pay and better benifits as many criss cross the country just trying to keep the bills paid.

Hate to say this, but I can teach my 14 year old nephew enough to pass the CORE and NEU tests.  They aren't that tough with a little effort but does passing them make you a competent HP?  I think not.  The HP lore, legends, and field experience will teach you to be a better tech than the test.  There is nothing more irritating than being tested on "what the function of the mitochondria of a cell is."  Technical expertise has its place to a degree but we aren't counting "schleptons" at Fermi Lab, we're mucking out the friggin' sumps.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

Chimera

ity.Re: Sooo, Why Haven't the Roadrats organized?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2003, 09:12 »
I gotta chip in my two cents worth on the issue of techs not being able to agree.

During Clinton's startup in the late 80's, there was a lot of friction in the plant between the various departments.  Somehow it was decided that the HP Techs were at the heart of all that friction and discord.  HP Supervision decided we needed "team building" training.  They made all of us, contractor and house tech alike come in on a Saturday to sit through a class from some professor at Southern Illinois University.  He was amazed to find out we came from all over the country, from various diverse backgrounds and represented several different age groups because we spoke with one voice on the things that were most important to us - issues such as teamwork, honor and trust.  I think we were all amazed at the professor's conclusions - primarily that we were NOT the source of all the friction.

I remember several attempts at "organizing" the road techs (showing my age again?).  My biggest objection at the time was the expectation that the people with the political moxie to move up within the union structure were the ones I didn't want representing me (I'll leave the names out, but I think we all know the handful of people back then that would have jumped at the chance to have that power).  

Would I like to make more money for what I do?  Sure I would!  Would I be willing to join the IBEW again and be subject to their tender ministrations?  Not hardly.  I had my fill of that in the past.  If I don't like a plant, I don't go to it.  If we all didn't like a given plant, perhaps they would have to pay us more to entice us to go there, but that isn't likely to happen.  Some of us need our paychecks badly.  I discovered that in the old ANEFCO, NUMANCO, Rad Services, NSS and IRM days.  

My opinion of unions is not very high.  As a general statement (there are always exceptions to these kind of statements), the people that need the union to protect them seemed to be the people that I really didn't want on my crew to begin with.  I don't need to pay dues to be ignored by another group besides my plant management.

I've been a road tech.  I've been a house tech.  Both have their advantages and disadvantages.  I will do what I deem best for my family and for myself.  Joining a union is rather low on my list of priorities.

Just my two cents worth, mind you (laughing).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?