Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Pappy Engel  

Author Topic: Pappy Engel  (Read 9675 times)

Offline makua13

• Light User
  • Live Aloha
Pappy Engel
« on: Jan 19, 2005, 06:57 »
Pappy Engel (Leonard Edwin Engel Sr.) passed away today, 1/19/05, 2 days short of 85th birthday.  He became an HP in 1981 at Turkey Point and retired after Shearon Harris 94 outage since he experienced a "mini" stroke on the way home.
His son Len Jr. is an Instructor at DOE, son Rick Bartlett HP, and daughter Diana a dosemitry Tech., and of course Marsha whom he introduced to Rick (he liked to remind that "she was my Honey first".  Another two daughters not in the business, and 13 grandkids, and even 6 great grand children.
He loved being an RP and hated to retire, but he said he did not think he could be trusted 100% and did not want to jepordize anyone.  Pappy was a 35 year retired Chief Warrant Officer in the Coast Guard before becoming an RP.  He has a "family" web site and if nyone wants to see his face again (healthy) you may visit:  www.angelfire.com/ny/engelecke/ricks.family.html
If you have any "Pappy" stories, please post them as he would really like that.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2006, 08:54 by Rennhack »
Live Aloha

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
Re: Pappy Engel has passed
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2005, 10:44 »
Pappy Engel touched many lives. His very name brings a smile to those that knew him. Wow, 1981 at T.P., it seems like just yesterday. Henry and I were newly weds, this was Henry's first outage. Its hard to believe that so much time has passed by, and so many of our friends have gone on to better places. May his family be blessed with the knowledge that he was loved.

Offline Carolina Jethro

• Safety Manager
  • Heavy User
  • Why not us?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2005, 06:47 »
Pappy gave me some advice in 1983 that got me in the biz and away from my minimum wage landscaping job. I got to work with him a few times over the years after that and really enjoyed being around him. He was always calm, cool and collect. Although I haven't seen him in years I know he will be missed. My sympathy and prayers go out to the entire family.

Kime_B

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2005, 08:05 »
I didn't get to meet Pappy, but I have worked with Rick and Marsha.
My thoughts and prayers go to your family.

Offline makua13

• Light User
  • Live Aloha
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2005, 08:58 »
Pappy's Memorial Service was Saturday, his 85th birthday, and he will be interred at Washington National Cemetery the first week of April.  The Coast Guard and HP community was represented at the service.
Live Aloha

Rad Honey

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2005, 11:17 »
Rick and Marsha,
My deepest sympathy for the passing of your father. May you and the Engel family find peace with God at this time. I didn't know him, but if he is like you he was the greatest. I know the pain. (M)

Harpo

« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2005, 11:49 »
Rick & Marsha - Our thoughts and prayers are with you. So sorry for your loss. Call or write if Marjy & I can do anything for you.

wglewallen

« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2005, 09:30 »
Sorry to hear about "PAPPY"! Worked with he and his son Len jr, Pappy was a pleasure to work with truly a great person to be around. He will definitely be missed.

djordan

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2005, 09:24 »
Pappy brought a ray of sunshine to everyone he came in contact with.  enjoyed discussing "life" with him.  was a great role model,  friend, counsler, mentor and co-worker.
He has moved into that "home not made with mortal hands, eternal in the heavens".

I miss you my friend!

dave

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2006, 02:51 »
Definitely missed by all!
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

NCRadTech

Re: Pappy Engel
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2007, 04:44 »
Sorry to hear of Pappy's passing....I worked with him many times in the mid-80's. Pappy was a gentle man...I think the funniest thing I remember was Pappy firing up a cigarette in the countroom in Robinson. I imagine he enjoyed his cigarettes right up 'til the end! Farewell Pappy...you had a huge extended family in the HP business. 

GS

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?