Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Shore duty and out? honeypot

Author Topic: Shore duty and out?  (Read 4936 times)

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
Shore duty and out?
« on: Jun 24, 2016, 01:16 »
Long story short...

Submarine life is a fantastically rewarding experience, but with a wife and now kids.. it really isn't for me. (Too much time from home)

When I was up for shore duty on CMSID a few months ago I stumbled upon the Nautilus orders. The fact that myself and my wife are from CT and that I will have time to finish my degree I said to myself:  "Why not?"

A week later I had received an email that my application was accepted and that they are waiting on a school to open up prior to cutting orders. (I have spoken with the detailer twice, still going)

I am qualified mostly everything. QAI, LELT, EWS, EDPO and I am the EDTA.  My CO has told me more than once that he would like to see me go LDO and work from NR. I would absolutely love to go, but now with these orders I think I really made that idea impossible. I chose my family needs over my NAVY career, I just hope it doesn't bite me in the butt later. I am planning on using my off time to finish my degree.

So. since these orders are not a training prototype/school, am I really hurting my chances of becoming an NLO if I ever decide to go nuclear?

Any feedback is welcome, thanks.

~Mike
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
Re: Shore duty and out?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2016, 05:17 »
Obviously he hasnt been paying attention to the industry

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2016, 07:25 »
Obviously he hasnt been paying attention to the industry

well, he has been going to sea on a submarine, not much of a worldview inside the people tank,...

TTP - you're already an operator, take the orders and enjoy the USN for a change,...

just to help you feel your youth;

I deconned a bit of the Nautilus engineering spaces during my R-5 stint, circa 1987-1988,...uh huh,... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2016, 11:30 »
Yet he had time to post here... He had plenty of time to research

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2016, 11:17 »
Yet he had time to post here... He had plenty of time to research

point conceded, I'll posit that folks do throw ideas against the thread wall just to see what others might have to contribute to their own musings,...

if it was me, looking back, I'd keep my options open, the Navy is always a livable last resort and a known devil,...

duty on the Nautilus could introduce the OP to a career possibility the typical nuke career path would not have revealed,...

as long as the OP makes E-7 before the twenty year mark he can stay in past 20 if the civilian nukes go extinct in his lifetime,...

as long as the OP stays fit and viable, his employment (including self-employment) options continue out into his 70s,...

particularly well founded with a Navy retirement under his belt should he navigate such options,...

plus some savvy financial work during the interim,...

it's all good baby, it's all good,... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2016, 01:07 »
Really Rerun?  You are truly a broken record.  There is a thread out there that takes into consideration his time, quals, quality of life, family situation and probable destination all at once?  Plus things change all the time and some of the info is old.  This board is great because there are lots of people who have been there done that and can offer some advice.  And people like to ask in real time for advice in case they are missing anything before they make an important decision in life, even if the answer to every question can be found in the search mode.  What this guy is asking is not unreasonable, chill out and offer some advice if you have any or just zip it if you don't.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2016, 02:06 »
To be honest I thought I was making a private message to someone here on the forum... I will blame my early afternoon large alcoholic beverage ;) (First day of leave in over a year... wife was not pleased when I passed out at 3pm on the bed.)

NLO is just one avenue, and I know the outlook of new nuclear facilities looks grim. I just would like to leave the navy with the most open doors possible. You guys were here when I depped in 7 years ago and helped me out tremendously so I was hoping by chance there was some more advice to chew on.

Respectfully,
Mike
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2016, 02:11 »
Lol fair enough. Fair enough!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2016, 05:41 »
You guys were here when I depped in 7 years ago and helped me out tremendously so I was hoping by chance there was some more advice to chew on.

Respectfully,
Mike

well, you did make ELT,...

the expectations for Elite Lifelong Talent are relentless,... 8)
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2016, 05:42 by GLW »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?