Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Recent college graduate with chemistry, enlisted for nuke. What can I expect? honeypot

Author Topic: Recent college graduate with chemistry, enlisted for nuke. What can I expect?  (Read 4660 times)

Offline ptrain95

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Hi everyone!

I am a recent college graduate and received my degree in chemistry. I leave for bootcamp in December (decided to enlist because I am interested in both sides of enlisted and officer.) I am curious how A School, Nuclear Power School, and Nuclear Prototype School compares to college learning. I have read to not necessarily forget what I learned but not to count on using what I learned because it's not the "navy way". Would it be useful to go back and review some general concepts in chemistry, physics, calculus, etc? In addition, I am not really much informed on what to expect in prototype portion of Nuke School. I have read about a few things on it but I am more interested in information on surviving through prototype school.

Thanks!

HeavyD

Power school is the equivalent of a 2 yr Nuclear Associates program delivered in a 6 month time frame, with the added bonus of having your job changed on you if your academic performance is poor.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve!

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
No it aint anywhere near a two year associates. Its a bunch of concepts taught in a certain way. Learn and regurgitate it their way and you will be fine.

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
Success is up to the level of effort you put into it. Grades are important, unless things have changed it was 2.5 and survive in the program, but below 2.8 was re-mediate, required studied time. You will learn how to study. College is casual compared to the Navy. You will sit and learn for about 8 hours a day every day. Prototype was more applying concepts learned in NPS to prepare you to go in-hull and start working to qualify watch stations. You don't mention what rate you signed up for so the A school will be dependent on that. People do fail out but that happens everywhere in life anyway.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Actually for amount of classroom hours and quality of instruction it is close to an associates in time spent and knowledge gained.  Depending on the type of associates degree it could be considered harder or easier.  IMHO power school was harder than most of my 1st and 2nd year classes at university of delaware.  Notable exception was calculus.  Learn and regurgitate also applies to most community colleges where the bulk of associates degrees are handed out.

I wouldn't go back and review because the Navy does want you to learn it their way.   

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
Power school is a joke and always has been

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
I know plenty of people with your attitude who think community college is a joke as well.  I think both power school and community college both have their place for us lesser individuals.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
Still a joke

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
Like I said, for us lesser individuals.  Ptrain will probably get something out of it just like I did, since most of us aren't at your level your highness.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?