Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Uranium Seawater Extraction Makes Nuclear Power Completely Renewable honeypot

Author Topic: Uranium Seawater Extraction Makes Nuclear Power Completely Renewable  (Read 3767 times)

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
I'm sure this won't impress the true eviro-nuts since the bad word "nuclear" is involved.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
   Other mining operations make money off of byproduct materials such as rare earths and gold. I wonder if that is in the economic impact of this kind of production. I would assume that it would only operate when there was an order to fill. When building a power plant the order for copper starts at the mine which has gold as one of it's byproducts.
   On the environmental side that would be a lot of seawater to process the ecological impact would seem to be fairly large.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Only if they have to add stuff to it that won't go away, or concentrate it.  Probably way better than putting hi concentration brine back in the ocean.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Only if they have to add stuff to it that won't go away, or concentrate it.  Probably way better than putting hi concentration brine back in the ocean.

Maybe but at 3 ppb uranium concentration that's a lot of seawater to process for a significant recovery, the volume alone has to have some impact. Perhaps thermal or filtration of that much water. I don't think fish kills from nuclear plants that shutdown during the winter were initially considered.

Just speculation you may be right that a little brine to the briny may be all there is.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
AIUI  no brine, fibers are collected and acid treatment utilized to produce uranyl then fibers resuspended in ocean and passive adsorption cycle begins again ,.....   no brine,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
And costs?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
And costs?

a decade ago - >$800/lb U3O8

currently - north of $200/lb U3O8

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
sew, uranium is an extreme equilibrium seeker? never new that bee fore.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
sew, uranium is an extreme equilibrium seeker? never new that bee fore.

well, that's why you come here, to learn stuff you never gnu,... :P ;) :) 8)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
aye wuzzant referencing radioactive equilibrium oar secular equilibrium, moor a physical equilibrium. butt gnaw ledge is a grate thing two gain.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?