Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Question about DOE Core study guide question 1.11-7 honeypot

Author Topic: Question about DOE Core study guide question 1.11-7  (Read 4138 times)

Offline BigHat

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
The question in the DOE CORE study guide is as follows:

An individual must enter a mixed gamma/neutron radiation field for emergency
repair work. The radiation field consists of 2,500 mR/hr gamma, and 500 mrad/hr
thermal neutron. Assuming the individual has received 340 mrem of his allowable
600 mrem for the month, what is the maximum stay time allowed?

The answer in the book says 3.9 minutes.

If I don't adjust the thermal neutrons with the radiation weighting factor of 5... I do (600-340)/(2500+500) x 60min/hr... and I get 5.2 minutes

If I correct for the radiation weighting factor of 5 for thermal neutrons... I would get (600-340)/(2500+2500) x 60min/hr... and I get 3.12 minutes

I reread 1.06 to make sure I was right on the weighting factor. So I'm stuck...

Am I missing something, or is the study guide wrong?

Offline S T I G

• Moderate User
  • S T I G
Re: Question about DOE Core study guide question 1.11-7
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2016, 01:42 »
The weighting factor for thermal neutrons used to be 3 and now it has been changed to 5. That is why the answer in the book comes out to be 3.9 rather than the 3.12. Don't worry, you're not going crazy.

Offline BigHat

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Question about DOE Core study guide question 1.11-7
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2016, 01:56 »
okay, awesome. thank you for that, now i know i didn't miss something in the calculation.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?