X-10

Above Average
6 (50%)
Average
3 (25%)
Below Average
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Oak Ridge National Lab (ORNL) X-10  (Read 58431 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Oak Ridge National Lab (ORNL) X-10
« on: Jan 20, 2005, 10:57 »
Talk About Oak Ridge: X-10

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
Re: Oak Ridge: X-10
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2005, 10:09 »
There isn't a whole lot of "major" work going on here right now. We are doing Core Drilling and Well Monitoring around the "campus" area. We will be cleaning out wells in the world-renowned "Cesium Garden" later on this spring. The Kelly technicians work for SEC supervisors. There are Lead RCT and Supervisor opportunities popping up weekly, so there is a chance to move up. We do routines in the old Isotope Production Facilities. Special filter change jobs come up every so often. Other than that, we are chugging and plugging and trying to dry the sweat off our brows, when possible.

Peace Out, all my Rad Brothers and Sisters :-*

Offline TN-Man

• Light User
  • It's not the ending that matters..It's the journey
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2005, 12:05 »
Chances are if you sign on with Kelly right now you will end up in Melton Valley. Not a bad place to be, but the hours are long and the work is boring. We have complained so much that Kelly is now saying the hours could be 32+ hours of OT. This project is going to 7 days in the spring. I don't know how they are going to work that kind of schedule.
Sometimes I look back on my life and think I could have had to work for a living. Thank God, I'm an HP.

merlin_the_wizard

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2005, 12:49 »
Thanks for all the insight, Summerdazed.  Much obliged.  Is the 32 hours of overtime on a per week basis?  Do you not get completely bored with the job?  I am now at a R & D lab and it's never boring.  But, I want to go back to the SE.

Offline TN-Man

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2005, 01:00 »
Merlin, Actually right now I'm working 45-50 hours per week. We have been told that the work will increase to 60 -72 hours this spring. If you want the money it is great. East TN is a great place to live and there is no state income tax. Boring as hell. Today I have spent hours watching two laborers deconning a track hoe while it is snowing!!!! There is a lot of interesting things here at ORNL, but I just have not worked my way into a better job.
Sometimes I look back on my life and think I could have had to work for a living. Thank God, I'm an HP.

merlin_the_wizard

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2005, 02:33 »
Summerdazed,  do you know if those 20-30 hours of OT are going to be a requirement?  Or do you have the option of working whatever OT you want?  Do any of these long term positions lead to direct hire?

Offline TN-Man

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2005, 04:59 »
They say all OT is optional, but understand if you don't pull your share your co-workers will not be happy. I work as little OT as I can. My supervisor has been good to me in that respect. No, these jobs wil not lead to a permanent position. You do have to ability to find permanent work once you are here or before you get here. Check this site for employers in the Oak Ridge area. There are a few companies that don't list here, such as Duratek and Pangea.

dawgs

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:03 »
I here another lay-off is not far off. Has anyone heard anything about it?

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2006, 02:54 »
Wednesday, they announced the lay off of 10 people from Melton Valley and 4 people from K-25. The "word on the street" is that there will be another layoff in May or June. Someone today said there is a rumor that there will be only 10 technicians at ORNL in June. Far fetched? Maybe and maybe not. The bottom line is that there are layoffs in the clouds and the rain is starting to fall. This isn't the best time to call SEC or Kelly for a HP job in Oak Ridge, but it never hurts to try.

Just keeping it real, dawgs....

halflifer

« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2006, 03:10 »
Wow, and all this time we'uns been thinkin' those projects were the Nirvana Black Holes of the Nuclear World (techs go in but they don't come out....just live happily ever after on d'river). I guess it just showstagoya that there ain't no promised land for us.  :( (So why is Dave smilin'?) :-X ;)

alphadude

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2006, 03:46 »
theres shortage of RCTs at LANL-

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2006, 10:00 »
Halflifer,
           The reason I'm still smiling is because I still get something in my checking account every Wednesday. Watch for a new picture, because you never know when I'll be joining you on that great nuclear road... ::) You never know when the "white slip" is coming your way. The separation notice that the laid-off technicians received is white, and no longer pink. My, how times change, huh? We are all just looking for an open seat on the Titanic right now.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2006, 11:42 »
Bartlett just called me and told me they need L-cleared techs in KY.  So if people in Oak Ridge are losing their jobs, and don't mind a little traveling, there are jobs out there.

halflifer

« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:04 »
Halflifer,
           The reason I'm still smiling is because I still get something in my checking account every Wednesday.
I think the reason Dave is smilin' is even simpler than that.....Life is good. :)

Last Call

« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:26 »
Naa, he probably just circulated a few resumes and got a hit on ever one!

Hobber

« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:37 »
Someone today said there is a rumor that there will be only 10 technicians at ORNL in June. Far fetched? Maybe and maybe not.
Just keeping it real, dawgs....

Hey Dave,

I would have to discount that rumor seeing that we have 9 of them at MSRE and there is little chance of escaping the MiSERy in the next year.

Hobber

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:27 »
I think what needs to be defined is this: My undisclosed source (i.e. rumor-monger) did not define "ORNL". That could mean just Melton Valley techs. That could mean anybody. Who knows right now? I can say with a good amount of confidence that there will be 15-20 laid off in May-June timeframe. That seems to be the consensus around these parts. One source said that there would be 36 more layoffs by the end of the year. At this point, you have to wait until you get the tap on the shoulder, or get a phone number followed by 911 on your pager.... >:(

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
Re: Oak Ridge National Lab (ORNL) X-10
« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2006, 09:58 »
You get direct deposit right away, and you don't have to work 1000 hours to be eligible. The area is great. You have loads of things to do in Knoxville. The weather is great. You have numerous contractors involved at the site, so if you have a layoff, you can talk to other companies about staying there. It is almost a retirement home for HP's.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Jul 31, 2006, 12:54 »
You get direct deposit right away, and you don't have to work 1000 hours to be eligible. The area is great. You have loads of things to do in Knoxville. The weather is great. You have numerous contractors involved at the site, so if you have a layoff, you can talk to other companies about staying there. It is almost a retirement home for HP's.

Dave,

You are suposed to tell people that it is a bad place, so they will shy away.  Then you and I will have our pick of the slots.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Jul 31, 2006, 01:39 »
Like I said, this is the worst place to work, ever!!!.... :-X

alphadude

« Reply #20 on: Aug 01, 2006, 12:33 »
ohhh dave you will just love Los Alamos.... its heaven on earth or MT Olympus.. the PhDs are sooooo friendly and never look down on you for being just normal. so why dont you just come out here and then....

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Aug 01, 2006, 01:11 »
About the time the snow falls up here in Ashtabula, I will seriously think about it......Then, it's me and alphadude in full effect...

alphadude

« Reply #22 on: Aug 01, 2006, 01:50 »
oooooo watch the glow...nice blue aint it dave

illegalsmile

« Reply #23 on: Aug 02, 2006, 05:42 »
but Dave, didn't you just leave Oak Ridge to go to Ashtabula? ??? ???

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Aug 02, 2006, 07:30 »
Yes, but just for a summer job....... :P

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?