Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Stay the Hell Away from Power Industry? honeypot

Author Topic: Stay the Hell Away from Power Industry?  (Read 17715 times)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Stay the Hell Away from Power Industry?
« Reply #25 on: Jul 13, 2016, 02:32 »
....Many of the SROs I knew had to move out of the company to do what they wanted to do because Ops didn't want to let them go.....

hey!!!,... I had to get out of the Navy after investing 4.5/10 of the time and effort required to retire so that I could do what I wanted to do, the Navy just was not going to let me continue on whilst doing things the way I wanted to,...

seems to be a recurrent theme across almost all things, all the time, everywhere,...
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2016, 02:33 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #26 on: Jul 13, 2016, 02:56 »
They may have more flexibility, but within a company ops doesn't want to let them go.  I see NLOs going different places all the time within company, but SROs are usually stuck in the control room.  Not a fact, just what I've actually seen.  Kinda like someone who used to be a tech but now is a supervisor.  You usually can't go backwards only forwards.  Be careful or you might get stuck somewhere you don't want to be..think about it.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #27 on: Jul 13, 2016, 03:39 »
for real GLW, jump from the pan into the fire.  that's why I'm a contractor.  I don't have the mental wherewithal to deal with it.  Imagine 5 of your least favorite people.  Chances are you will get stuck in the control room with one of them for an extended period of time.  and you can't even do anything about it because everybody's watching!!!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #28 on: Jul 13, 2016, 04:39 »
for real GLW, jump from the pan into the fire......I don't have the mental wherewithal to deal with it.  Imagine 5 of your least favorite people.  Chances are you will get stuck.........with one of them for an extended period of time.  and you can't even do anything about it because everybody's watching!!!

sounds like Thanksgiving Dinner!!!,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Jul 13, 2016, 06:27 »
Due to being an SRO in a company I got to lead Fukushima mods and research, lead an S/G change out, help reengineer our offsite power, lead an appendix R rewiring, overhauled a chemistry program.., if you are stuck in a control room its your fault

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #30 on: Jul 13, 2016, 07:36 »
Doesn't sound like your experience was typical.  Talking about what's available for everyone.  Somebody has to man the control room, wcc and train operators.  Most places don't have enough SROs to go let everyone play with the cool toys.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Jul 13, 2016, 07:58 »
Neither did ours but you gotta do what you gotta do. I was at facilities barely above minimum manning and in all cases I had to support a shift too. Its not atypical. The opportunities are there for those who volunteer. Sounds like you mostly worked with lazy whiners.

Offline Red Gold

• Light User
« Reply #32 on: Jul 13, 2016, 10:03 »
"Going other places in nuclear" does not mean instantaneously. I don't believe I suggested that an NLO would jump directly to senior management, for example. However, they do frequently seem to wind up there eventually, whether via license class or some other pathway (if they want to leave shift, of course, which many do not).

I've seen former NLOs in all sorts of positions, from Ops / Chemistry / RP / Training / Safety / even Engineering management, all the way up to senior corporate. Again, this is based just on what I've observed at the facilities at which I've worked. At my current utility former NLOs can be found at all levels of the organization.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2016, 10:26 by Red Gold »

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Jul 13, 2016, 10:36 »
Well gee thats different isnt it?

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #34 on: Jul 13, 2016, 11:35 »
Lazy whiners?  What?  All I'm saying is not everyone can do all the cool jobs, most peeps gotta man the normal SRO job.  There are only so many SROs and only so many "cool job" positions.  I thought we were talking about permanent opportunities not just helping with Fukushima mods for a while?  I'm talking about an opportunity for a different kind of permanent job, like moving to chemistry or QA or maintenance.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #35 on: Jul 14, 2016, 09:02 »
"Going other places in nuclear" does not mean.....

Well gee thats different isnt it?

Lazy whiners?  What?....

all interesting stuff from different tangents, then again the OP has not checked back in since July 7th, I would conclude the OP got what the OP wanted/needed put of this thread 7 days ago,...

everything since then has been:

BZ's general observation on Internet forums/threads etal, By the 5th post in any thread it starts drifting off topic. By 12 to 15 it has nothing to do with the original topic and if it surives to 30 or so it magically gets back on topic. This applies almost everywhere.

Mike

still as true today as 9 years ago and befoe (sic),.....

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #36 on: Jul 16, 2016, 02:30 »
You do have a good point but even my last post still has alot to do with types of job opportunities available for nuclear power people.  That was what the original post was about, staying away from the nuclear power industry based on job opps available.  IMHO every post doesn't have to be exactly about the original post, but should be related to the post indirectly at a minimum....  That's alot of leeway so for sure depends on the moderator's opinions and varies from forum to forum.  You don't want to stomp out "creative banter" but there has to be a limit.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #37 on: Jul 16, 2016, 02:33 »
Unless you were talking about BZs posts only in each thread.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #38 on: Jul 16, 2016, 02:52 »
You do have a good point but even my last post still has alot to do with types of job opportunities available for nuclear power people.  That was what the original post was about, staying away from the nuclear power industry based on job opps available.  IMHO every post doesn't have to be exactly about the original post, but should be related to the post indirectly at a minimum....  That's alot of leeway so for sure depends on the moderator's opinions and varies from forum to forum.  You don't want to stomp out "creative banter" but there has to be a limit.

okay, the OP still has not clocked in with the OP's user name since 7-7-16, so the OP got what the OP wanted,...presumably,...

as there are many (meaning more than several) of related threads all bantering on the same situation it's your typing time to burn as you best see fit,...

enjoy the day!!!!,... 8)

Unless you were talking about BZs posts only in each thread.

ahaaa!, but it's okay to moderate the folks you think need moderating,.... ROFL ROFL ROFL [Flamer]

umhmmmm,....uhuh,...mayhaps I gots ur number hamsameeebuckero!!!.... :P ;) :) 8)
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2016, 02:54 by GLW »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #39 on: Jul 16, 2016, 04:22 »
I put my custum meade sloglo interpretar on ur post butt I steel cudnt figur it oot compleetlee!!!

rlbinc

« Reply #40 on: Jul 17, 2016, 08:50 »
The last time I was a licensed RO on shift was 1997, and with the extreme overtime, made $103,000.
The job is tough, it is not for lightweights. The study required to get and maintain a license is substantial.
It has been my experience that the most rewarding aspects of life come with considerable focus and effort.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?