Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Wanting to join but just married  

Author Topic: Wanting to join but just married  (Read 4372 times)

Offline juliet1087

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Wanting to join but just married
« on: Jul 09, 2016, 10:28 »
2 months ago my husband and I got married. A few weeks ago him and I started speaking about wanting to join military. We stepped into a recruiting office and got information. We also took a practice test. We both want to join so we asked the very important question of how that works. After our visit we found out my husband may not be qualified to join unfortunately. However, I am still doing my research and I would really like to know how my family gets affected. I have a 8 year old son, he is not my husbands. I refuse to give up custody but I really need to know what the picture would look like for my husband and son.

HeavyD

Re: Wanting to join but just married
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2016, 06:47 »
the Navy will relocate your family to wherever it is you are stationed, provided that you will be there for longer than 6 months.  This means that you go to boot camp in Great Lakes, solo, for the 2 1/2 months.  Then they ship all of you to Goose Creek, SC, where you can live in base housing (highly recommended) while you attend Nuclear Field "A" School (duration depends on your rate) and then Nuclear Power School for 6 months.

After Power School, you either stay in Goose Creek for 6 months for prototype training or the Navy ships all of you to Ballston Spa, NY, for 6 months of prototype.  There is the possibility of 3 months of additional training at either site if you are an MM and are selected for ELT.

After prototype, the Navy sends you to whichever carrier needs you.  There is a period during prototype where you get to put down where you would "like" to go (ship, home port wise), but in the end, the needs of the Navy will dictate where you end up (you're going to see and hear that phrase a LOT).

Since you're a female sailor, you'll be assigned to a carrier (yes, women are now being assigned to a few select subs, possibilities are low and on a volunteer basis).  So, your choices will be Norfolk, VA, San Diego, CA, Bremerton, WA or Yokuska, Japan.  You can request Navy housing, not a guarantee.  Otherwise you get an allowance to cover living out in town; it almost always doesn't cover the entire cost.  Then you'll report to your carrier, you'll get underway for the first time and your husband will become a single parent.  This will go on for periods of a single week up to deployments of 6 - 9 months.  Your first sea assignment is for a minimum of 36 months.

Not trying to scare you with the "single parent" statement, but's that a simple fact.  you'll be able to email him, usually, but you wont be talking to him for the duration of your time underway.  He will have to take care of everything while you are gone, and depending on how your current relationship is setup, that works out OK for some couples, not so much for others.

Other guys/gals on here will chime in with other info.  Best of luck and remember that if you join, you do so voluntarily.  Everything after that, good and bad, you have to roll with it and make the most out of it.   

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 11, 2016, 10:31 »
A quick clarification, if you go for a 2 bedroom apartment, your BAH will generally cover the rent and maybe utilities, depending on where you're stationed. There is the possibility of being selected for JSI, and stay on at NPTU for 2 more years. Also, Everett, WA is a possible duty station (across the sound from Bremerton, about an hour north of Seattle).

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2016, 10:32 »
Also, there are "sailor phones" on carriers, so you can buy a prepaid calling card and call home, but it's about $1 per minute at best.

HeavyD

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2016, 09:10 »
Actually, now that I think about it, the boomers (Trident missile subs) are in Bremerton, the carrier is in Everett.  Both are basically the same location, just on opposite sides of the sound.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2016, 07:27 »
Actually, now that I think about it, the boomers (Trident missile subs) are in Bremerton, the carrier is in Everett.  Both are basically the same location, just on opposite sides of the sound.
Which is not really the same location at all (they are a 1 1/2 - 2 hour commute apart).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?