Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

Question about 6 and out.

<< < (2/2)

GLW:

--- Quote from: ipregen on Jul 26, 2016, 11:32 ---Don't pay too much attention to what people say you can't do. Negative people have a problem for every solution.....

--- End quote ---

true enough, then again, needs of the Navy has a hurdle for every solution,...

Rerun:
Actually in those other industries Navy nuclear experience isnt that much of a break in

spekkio:

--- Quote from: nukeyuhler on Jul 24, 2016, 02:51 ---Hello everyone, I am an ET new to the fleet and I have a few questions about my career path long term. I have been told that I probably wont be able to qualify watch sup before my EAOS due to the current status of my ship. I want to do 6 and out, because if I re-up, I will have to re-up again for shore duty, putting me at ~10 years, which is unfavorable given family circumstances. My tentative plan is to get out at 6. I do have some (~1.5yr) of college coursework done and I want to chip away at more of my EE degree at Arizona State online while I'm in, and then get out and get an entry level job maybe as an aux op at ~60k while I finish my degree and then look for a job as an RO, SRO, or engineer. My question is as follows: Is this a feasible plan. If not, what are my options. Thanks in advance for your help and your time.
--- End quote ---
I think a better plan would be to put college on hold until after the Navy. Then, use the GI bill and go to the best university you can, focusing 100% of your efforts on getting good grades in college and making the connections you need for a post-college career. Between the GI bill + BAH and tuition assistance (which you qualify for since the GI bill + BAH doesn't count as income and military service divorces you from dependence on your parents for FAFSA purposes), you won't be hurting for money for college.

Engineering is generally not a degree you can just get a check in the box and find yourself gainfully employed in the field. It's also not a degree that is feasible without 100% full effort being put toward your studies. If you want a tech degree that's worth the paper it's written on, you won't be able to accomplish this online while in the Navy or working full-time at a nuclear power plant. This is something you'll have to decide to be a student first and work around that. The financial benefits I talked about above will be able to afford you that opportunity.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version