Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu The Nuclear Plant That Has U.K., France on Edge  

Author Topic: The Nuclear Plant That Has U.K., France on Edge  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
The Nuclear Plant That Has U.K., France on Edge
« on: Jul 30, 2016, 09:35 »
$23 Billion to build before overruns and $48 billion above the market rate over the lifetime of the project.  :o

The Nuclear Plant That Has U.K., France on Edge
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-29/quicktake-q-a-the-nuclear-plant-that-has-u-k-france-on-edge

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Re: The Nuclear Plant That Has U.K., France on Edge
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2016, 01:58 »
I'd like to see a comparison with how much it would cost (actual....Include all subsidies if warranted) to supply 7% of the UK's total energy demand with wind and solar. Not nameplate.....but actual 7% for the next 40 years.

Then a comparison on lifetime CO2 emissions....

Then a comparison on land usage.....

Then a comparison (legit....not Greenie wacko) on actual environmental impacts
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 30, 2016, 06:03 »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-07/hinkley-subsidy-may-reach-37-billion-pounds-twice-last-estimate

it is based on last year's "depressed" wholesale price.  these types of projections are like pretending a crystal ball exists.  Whenever these questions pop up I always think about what the price of natural gas might be in 5 - 10 years as well.  nobody knows.  and if nuclear didn't exist, the price of natural gas would go even higher eventually because we would be using much more and be more at the mercy of natty gas and other fossils since no alternative.  everything seems to be based on the price of natural gas.  that isn't a great way to diversify your energy portfolio (running to natural gas since it is so cheap right now and has been for a while).  it will go up here in the U.S.  especially when the U.S. supply starts to globalize.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2016, 09:30 »
Gas prices aint going up for 15 years at least.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2016, 11:24 »
Gas prices aint going up for 15 years at least.

Henry  Hub has prices up between 13% to 15% by  Dec 2017

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2016, 01:02 »
yeah you might want to check your historical charts as well.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2016, 08:52 »
Nope I used to work for a gas company until about 4 months ago. Gas prices aint going up and will never reach a point where nuclear is competitive.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2016, 10:16 »
Henry  Hub has prices up between 13% to 15% by  Dec 2017

Looks like it is even higher to 2018 according to Economy Forecast Agency.

July 2016 2.84/million British thermal unit

July 2017 3.46/million British thermal unit

July 2018 3.63/million British thermal unit

http://longforecast.com/gas/natural-gas-price-forecast.html

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2016, 11:20 »
Maybe some of you forget the late 90s when all utilities built natural gas plants. Shutting down perfectly fine nuc units based on "performance". All the way up until gas demand out paced distribution and all of those plants sat idle because the utilities couldn't afford to run them.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2016, 12:33 »
Maybe some of you forget the late 90s when all utilities built natural gas plants. Shutting down perfectly fine nuc units based on "performance". All the way up until gas demand out paced distribution and all of those plants sat idle because the utilities couldn't afford to run them.

Not forgotten, market forces and regulation have and will shutdown plants but that does not exclude operation of those who can compete or end up with "Green" money. It looks like Surry will be one on those who will compete and the ones in the Southeast will survive due to regulations. New England is taking a second look at it's plants in New York. Gas is one force on the equation and the future of that price for planning on projects that take years to build and then expected to operate for 40 to 80 years has a perspective that may not be obvious.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 31, 2016, 03:29 »
some people are clairvoyant I guess since they worked for "a gas company", so then they know 100% what the future holds.  even though they've already been proven dead wrong on their "dead" predictions.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #11 on: Jul 31, 2016, 04:41 »

well no because I lived it and I did DnD at more than a few,...

so, let's define the late 90s as 96, 97, 98 & 99,...

that leaves 90, 91, 92 & 93 as the early 90s with 94 & 95 relegated to the mid-90s,...

which results in the following commercial shutdowns:

Connecticut Yankee - 96
Big Rock - 97
Maine Yankee - 97
Zion 1 - 98
Zion 2 - 98

Big Rock was part of the Power Demonstration Project (Round 3, 1957), it was small, a demo plant which stayed commercially viable into the 1990s via heavily regulated markets and was too small to comfortably compete in the emergent markets of the 1990s, not to mention it was old, well past it's expected lifetime, with emerging upgrades, license renewal hurdles, etcetera, all of which were unlikely to be offset by continued commercial revenues,..

Zion 1 & 2 were not shuttered because of natural gas prices, and we can leave that where it is,...

that would leave CY and MY as potential victims of natural gas,...

at the time of their demise, they represented less than 2% of all nuke plants on the grid, and the "perfectly fine" moniker is not a solid moniker,...

MY utility management listed the cost of clearing the NRC deficiencies docket as the reason for permanent shutdown,...

CY utility management listed competition from cheap natural gas plus a few other considerations,...

that leaves us with one "perfectly fine" nuc unit killed by natural gas in the late 90s,...

less than 1% of the late 90s nuke fleet,...and,....at the time,.... the oldest nuke plant on the grid,...

not such a bad victim rate from cheap natural gas,...

we are nukes, we owe it to ourselves to be as "Joe Friday" as we can be,... 8)
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2016, 05:19 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?