Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu CHP, PhD in-between Outages  

Author Topic: CHP, PhD in-between Outages  (Read 3527 times)

Offline JenniferBergeron

• Lurker
CHP, PhD in-between Outages
« on: Aug 10, 2016, 02:28 »
I am looking for some advice (from a nuke perspective) on becoming a Certified Health Physicist in-between outages. My B.S. is in Biology. I also have some graduate course work from when I was a genetics biologist. Currently I am a junior health physics technician with an additional A.A.S. in Engineering technology, with focus on radiation protection. I made such a drastic switch in careers because, at the time, I was beating cancer while trapped in the gap of the health care system. I let myself become convinced that being a RP was a good, quick way to make some fast money, ha ha. I absolutely LOVE everything about being an RP.  My only problem is (just like everyone else) is actually finding enough work. I am afraid to solicit any more information from schools, as I fear their only intent is to liberate me from more tuition money. So my question is this: How can a JHP become a CHP in the commercial nuclear environment? I am even open to a PhD path somewhere within the nuclear safety culture. I do use The Health Physics Society as a resource, but I have a feeling there may me some untapped wisdom on this website  8)

Offline bsdnuke

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: CHP, PhD in-between Outages
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2016, 08:02 »
Jennifer, Being a JHP with a goal of CHP could be a problem because it may not be viewed by AAHP as professional experience. I suggest you go to the web site to see what the education and experience requirement is. Another alternative is a HP position in government perhaps? There are a few on USAJOBs that you could apply for. The downside is full time for as much as you can make in a few outages.

Go to local and HPS meetings and connect with professionals. If you are an HPS member put your resume on the web page.

B. Scott Davidson, CHP, CSP bsdnuke@gmail.com

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2016, 08:19 »
I bet the best way to do it would be to find out if you can turn your Bio Degree into a Health Physics degree easily, maybe Thomas Edison??  That would lead to more jobs probably and make it easier to get your CHP (eventually) at the same time I would think.  I think a PHD would trump everything, but that would be further down the road I would think.  Although if you aren't getting jobs and really want to stay in RP, maybe start finding out about a PHD from different programs if the jobs aren't coming.

Offline JasonConner

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2016, 10:43 »
Agreed with bsdnuke about the federal work.  It's been pretty good to me.  I know it may seem like a long time from now, but once you find steady work and gain 5 solid years of working experience, a good path might be to challenge the NRRPT.  Prior college education counts towards the required experience, but not a whole lot, as I recall.  Once you successfully challenge the NRRPT, I believe some colleges like Thomas Edison offer credits for NRRPT certification holders, so that's a plus if you decide to pursue a graduate degree in Health Physics.  You'll need at least six years of professional experience, three of which has to be in Applied Health Physics.  Technician-level experience doesn't count towards Professional Experience.  By that time, you should have earned enough academic and real-world experience to at least challenge Part One of the ABHP exam.

Here is a helpful link:

http://www.hps1.org/aahp/boardweb/prospectus.html
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2016, 11:11 by JasonConner »

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2016, 09:36 »
if eye wanted to jump from jhp to chp I would contact new npp rso and dept heads, apply for a tech position, and tell them my plans.
aye wood only go to new npp because they hire seasoned sr hps for lead and foreperson slots while training others to be  hp tex at their facility. i yam thinking they will be impressed with your future plan.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?