Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Topic: going from SWO to SWO(N)

Author Topic: Topic: going from SWO to SWO(N)  (Read 2952 times)

Offline elenadudnic83

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Topic: going from SWO to SWO(N)
« on: Aug 11, 2016, 10:55 »
Hey guys Im still new to this community so first off I would like to say hey to everyone and thank anyone in advance for any help you might be able to give me.So long story short I recently graduated with my BS in chemical engineering in May and have since been thinking about joining the navy. My father was a sailor, my grandfather was a sailor and this might be my only chance to see the world and of course would be a amazing leadership building experience. I originally wanted to try to get into the NUPOC program however my gpa from Washington State University was only a 2.91. I could list reasons why it was so low but to be honest it was totally my fault and made some bad decisions while there one of which was joining a fraternity and mismanaging my time. I also had 45 credits that transferred from my community college where my overall gpa was a 3.1 however those grades did not transfer into my final GPA at WSU only the credits. Since I know I am not competitive for NUPOC I have talked with GameCock and was advised that I should apply as a SWO and then apply to be a SWO(N) after my first tour pending I do well. I was hoping I could get some added input on if this was common or not and if so if anyone knew any friends or fellow past or present shipmates that went this route. I would like to get a job in the nuclear field either in nuclear remediation or at a nuclear power plant after my service so if I get suck at a SWO would that affect my chances after my service since I would not have the experience that nuclear officers have. I was asking GameCock whether or not I should do this or enlist just because if I enlist I know for sure I would get that experience. Again Please don't tell me that I should look into civilian careers I believe it is important for people to serve their country and would really like the leadership benefits that I could attain from the navy. Also I am not in the position to go to grad school at this time due to my already overwhelming student loans so that would be out of the picture at this moment but obviously would think about it after service. Thanks again I am just looking for anyone with any experience or anyone who might know more on this route as I could find nothing on this in either the search bar or on google.Thanks and to anyone who reply's I will be very grateful.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2016, 10:56 by elenadudnic83 »

rjjohnson83404

Re: Topic: going from SWO to SWO(N)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2016, 11:31 »
If you end up not going into the Navy, come on out here to Hanford. Good jobs for the likes of you. Half the workforce is retiring in two years. They're looking for people JUST LIKE YOU.
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2016, 11:33 by rjjohnson83404 »

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
Re: Topic: going from SWO to SWO(N)
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2016, 05:45 »
My favorite part is seeing the world and it being an amazing leadership experience

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?