Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Considering NUPOC  

Author Topic: Considering NUPOC  (Read 3983 times)

Offline roman220

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Considering NUPOC
« on: Sep 13, 2016, 11:54 »
Hi,

Just a little background information. I am senior at Ga Tech majoring in Chemical Engineering. I have a 3.54 overall GPA and a 3.51 major GPA. I spent 6 months working as an undergraduate research assistant and I am currently doing my second 4 month internship rotation as a coop engineer. I also have volunteering experience.

I am really interested in joining the Navy's NUPOC program, but I have some concerns regarding the security clearance. I got in trouble in 2011 and received a misdemeanor marijuana conviction. However, I have not gotten in trouble sense and have been clean. I was wondering if this would disqualify me.

Thank you

Offline Matt

• Light User
Re: Considering NUPOC
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2016, 01:05 »
It will depend on the details of the conviction and past drug usage, but you will need to discuss that with an officer recruiter.  Naval Reactors is pretty strict about drug usage so don't be surprised if the answer is no.

Please review the following website for additional info about the program: https://nupocaccessions.blogspot.com/

Offline BrianScott87

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2016, 12:11 »
Matt is right that NR is usually quite strict on drugs, though there is sometimes some leniency when marijuana is the issue.  They will look at the nature of the offense in question, how often you used the substance, and the totality of your application otherwise when reviewing your case and determining whether or not to waive the offense. 

---

The best bet would be to reach out to your officer recruiter, discuss the situation and he will be able to give you a sense of whether it is something that can be worked around or not.  If he is in doubt, he can reach out to the Recruiting HQ and (via the HQ) to NR for a preliminary assessment. 

"That's what it is to be a human -- to always do the best you can, no matter the circumstances."
-Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

https://nupocaccessions.blogspot.com

Offline MercuryMan

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:54 »
Are you applying to be a Power School Instructor?

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:27 »
I am really interested in joining the Navy's NUPOC program, but I have some concerns regarding the security clearance. I got in trouble in 2011 and received a misdemeanor marijuana conviction. However, I have not gotten in trouble sense and have been clean. I was wondering if this would disqualify me.

Marijuana use and drug convictions are disqualifying. However, occasional recreational use is waiverable. If your misdemeanor is for possession, it's waiverable. If it's for intent to sell, you're done.

If the recruiting environment is favorable for the Navy, they will simply turn you away. If your recruiting district is hurting to meet their goals, they will try to file the waivers.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?