Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu US left with just one working fusion reactor — for now

Author Topic: US left with just one working fusion reactor — for now  (Read 3326 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: US left with just one working fusion reactor — for now
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2016, 09:01 »
"Working".... uh huh....  I was employed at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) once...
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2016, 09:02 by Rennhack »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2016, 09:51 »
"Working".... uh huh....  I was employed at Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) once...

I get your implication but working for an experimental device that is more for the collection of data than any practical use. Whether or not there will ever be an end product is another subject. So far fusion is an academic jobs program.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2016, 10:02 by Marlin »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2016, 10:22 »
eleven months ago we were heralded with this triumph
(after 20 years of preparation, I suspect they may be embarrassed about how many euros were spent to advertise the numbers):

World's Largest Fusion Reactor is About to Switch On

http://gizmodo.com/worlds-most-insane-fusion-reactor-is-about-to-switch-on-1741199892

It took 19 full years to build W7-X. By the end of the month, approval to turn the reactor on is expected to come from Germany’s nuclear regulators.

and after several experimental shots over a three month period the W7-X will be out of service again for a year and a half to install new tiles for next set of experiments, it should be up again in mid 2017.....

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/wendelstein-stellarator-begins-upgrades-after-fusion-success/

...“After exact measurement of the inside wall we therefore compare the wall dimensions with the tile measurements by a numerical method and modify, where necessary, the tiles with a computer-controlled milling cutter”, explained Mathias Müller from IPP’s Technical Services.The intricate nature of the upgrades means they won’t be completed until mid-2017. W7-X should then be ready for plasma pulses of eight megawatts lasting ten seconds. If everything goes to plan, the graphite tiles will eventually be replaced with carbon-fibre-reinforced components that are also water-cooled. Over the course of the next four years, the stellarator will build towards heating powers of 10 megawatts, and continuous plasma firings of around 30 minutes. If achieved, this would mark a major leap forward in the development of commercially viable fusion energy....

I can hardly wait for the "too cheap to meter" chorus,... ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL [Flamer]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Chimera

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2016, 07:43 »
Preparing for "eight megawatts lasting for ten seconds" doesn't exactly sound like "working".

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2016, 11:11 »
Preparing for "eight megawatts lasting for ten seconds" doesn't exactly sound like "working".

It is a research reactor., working is data collection. Though to be fair and to repeat myself, so far it is a jobs program for scientists.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2016, 11:34 »

It is a research reactor., working is data collection. Though to be fair and to repeat myself, so far it is a jobs program for scientists.

hay! scientists gotta eat two!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Chimera

« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2016, 01:52 »

I wasn't questioning you.  I did read your comment - and agreed with it.  I was questioning the title of the original article.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2016, 02:01 »
I wasn't questioning you.  I did read your comment - and agreed with it.  I was questioning the title of the original article.

Journalist pyramiding, got to have eyes on the article, a little like "if it bleeds it leads".  8)  But yes I was focused on the article, now I get your point.  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?