Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Unique situation, prior USMC grunt, looking for answers/advice. honeypot

Author Topic: Unique situation, prior USMC grunt, looking for answers/advice.  (Read 4231 times)

Offline fusee_homme

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Hello, I am a prior service infantryman in the USMC.  I joined in late 2003, served one enlistment(including 2 combat deployments to Iraq),  and got out in late 2007.  I bounced around the states for a few years and worked some seasonal jobs between long periods of unemployment.  After 4 years in the civilian world I found nothing that interested me and was sorely in need of a new adventure.  In 2011 I flew to France and joined the French Foreign Legion the day after my obligation towards the Inactive Ready Reserve(and thus my obligation to the US government) expired.  I finished my enlistment in the FFL last week and am now looking for a new adventure towards which to dedicate myself.  Serving on a Submarine has become a primary interest of mine and it seems that the most surefire way to do so is by entering the Navy Nuclear program.  I hope that you guys can answer some preliminary questions that I have to find out if this is a path worth pursuing.

-I am 30 years old,  turning 31 in two months.  Does this disqualify me?  I have searched for any age restrictions on the program but so far have not found any information.  If there is an age restriction,  will my 4 years of prior service count against it?
-Are my old ASVAB scores still valid?  I took my ASVAB in August of 2003 and scored a 99 with a 139 GT score.  According to the guidelines listed here: https://www.navycs.com/navy-nuclear-power-test.html my old scores would qualify me for the Nuke program without taking the NAPT,  so I am hoping that they are still valid.
-What necessary security clearances would I need and will my service in the FFL prevent me from obtaining one?  I have researched this subject and all info I have found says that, unless I hold citizenship in a foreign country,  clearances will not be a problem.  Completing a 5 year enlistment in the FFL with a certificate of good conduct does allow an individual the option to apply for French Citizenship,  but I have not pursued this option.
-In 2009 I got a DUI while working in Alaska.  Will this be disqualifying? I have not had a single sip of alcohol since that night,  not an easy feat to accomplish under any circumstances,  much less an enlistment in the Legion
-I have a disability rating of 30% for combat-related PTSD issues.  I have had these issues very much under control for years,  but I could see this as a possible disqualifier.
-If I am disqualified from the Nuke program for any of these reasons, what other routes could I take to guarantee service on a Submarine?

Merci pour votre attention a ma poste  ;)

Offline gacky27

• Very Lite User
Thanks for serving in the Marines.

To answer some of your questions:
-30 years old is the maximum age to commence submarine training, however there are waivers available on a case-by-case basis so you would need to put one in.
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/milpersman/1000/1300Assignment/Documents/1306-402.pdf

-You should talk to a recruiter about the ASVAB score. If you were still active duty they would be good, but your situation is a little different so I'm not sure.
-Enlisted nukes need a Secret clearance.
-There are many non-nuke enlisted ratings on a submarine. Missile Technicians, Fire Control Technician, Sonar Tech, Radioman, etc

Lastly, would you mind elaborating on some of the things you want to get out of potentially serving on a submarine?

Offline fusee_homme

• Lurker
Thanks for serving in the Marines.

To answer some of your questions:
-30 years old is the maximum age to commence submarine training, however there are waivers available on a case-by-case basis so you would need to put one in.
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/milpersman/1000/1300Assignment/Documents/1306-402.pdf

-You should talk to a recruiter about the ASVAB score. If you were still active duty they would be good, but your situation is a little different so I'm not sure.
-Enlisted nukes need a Secret clearance.
-There are many non-nuke enlisted ratings on a submarine. Missile Technicians, Fire Control Technician, Sonar Tech, Radioman, etc

Lastly, would you mind elaborating on some of the things you want to get out of potentially serving on a submarine?

Thank you for that link to the PDF file,  it is very informative indeed.  I had hoped to have a little bit of a break through the holidays, but It seems that If I want to get onto a submarine I should speak to a recruiter ASAP before I turn 31.

As far as my motivations,  I have always been drawn to physically and mentally challenging environments.  I find myself to be more comfortable and "in my element" on the streets of Ramadi,  on a fishing vessel in the Bering Sea,  or in the Jungles in South America than I do in a typical workplace environment.  I guess I am a bit of a masochist in that I derive a sense of pleasure and satisfaction through enduring miserable conditions that most would not.  I live for these sorts of adventurous environments.  Unfortunately I can feel my body is starting to suffer the effects of the abuse that i have put it through and fear I can no longer push it as far as I have been in the past 13 years.  I've come to the conclusion that it is time I start using my brain as my driving force instead of brawn(however,  I have zero interest in seeking formal education).  One of the most challenging things I have researched has been the Navy Nuke program and the prospect of serving on a submarine.
« Last Edit: Oct 02, 2016, 05:46 by fusee_homme »

Offline gacky27

• Very Lite User
Roger that. I can share a little bit about the sub world, I'm a division officer on a boomer, but if you have more questions feel free to PM me.

You will definitely get your fill of miserable conditions, as you said, if you get placed on a sub. I know it seems like an adventure from the outside, and in many ways it is if you are deployed, but realize that you will likely consider 95% of your job to be anything but. Some people really do love their job and get excited for it but just understand that they are the minority and most of your day is going to be training (classroom-style and hands-on), cleaning, following long procedures verbatim and preparing maintenance for the day/week. Prior to being qualified, you're expected to be studying and getting check-outs (which can be a challenge on many days) and you will likely get tasked throughout the day with lots of things that seem unimportant to your goals but you need to complete them anyway. As a nuke you're not involved with any of the stuff going on in the control room, which is where the mission-related, exciting stuff happens. You're in the engine room standing your watch, taking logs and making sure the shaft keeps turning. Most would not call that adventurous but if you know that is what you're getting into and you think it is something you want to do then by all means have at it. At the end of the day it is an important job and if you can do it then it will be a source of pride. The main idea I'm trying to convey is that if you were a Marine and are used to a rugged, adventurous lifestyle then this will likely be a much different experience for you.

If you get the opportunity as you're going through the screening process I would highly suggest trying to tour a boat so that you can test the waters and add another layer of research to your mental bank. I did NUPOC, and we got to tour one before any of us knew anything at all about subs, so it would benefit you to ask lots of questions (especially to nukes) so that you can get a feel for it.

Offline ipregen

• Moderate User
Looks like a troll posting to me.

Offline gacky27

• Very Lite User
Or just someone who is curious about the nuke program, ipregen.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
Looks like a troll posting to me.
Sounds like a Jarhead looking for a challenge to me, but what do I know?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?